Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Low Trac Light from 60-65mph after rear end swap...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will check all these things...
Im going to replace the sensors when I get the money, just to rid the chance of the that.
thanks for your help and suggestions MWC!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I checked the resistance on the rear wheel speed sensors yesterday and they read 2900 & 3100 Ohms. As per the abs manual on diagnosing the c0046 and c0051 codes, the resistance should be in the 800-1600 Ohm range. Im really hoping this is the solution, I hate the fact that once Im on the highway, first its the low trac light to come on, then the abs inop and then if I really get on it, the brake light stays on. Worst part of all is when the low trac light is on, it causes the engines timing to be retarded. :-(

I forgot to mention, when I was waiting for the Fab9 to be built, the rear wheel speed sensors sat in a zip lock with other bolts in there, Im hoping the sensors went bad from the magnetic pickup touching the metal bolts for so long....

Ill be ordering the wheel sensors on monday from gmpartdirect unless anyone else knows where to get them for cheaper than the dealership?
Old 06-04-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I replaced the wheel speed sensors on the rear end and I still get the problem.
Only difference is the low trac light comes on at speeds around 25mph now. The low trac light is then followed by the ASR off, ABS inop and BRAKE lights.

@ Midwest Chassis, what can we do about this..... ? My trac control system worked perfectly before the Fab 9 went in. I payed for the 4channel setup for the reason that it worked.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will have to talk to Eric on this and see what else we can figure out to have you try. The rear end itself does not control the system. I can not recall, how many miles did you put on the car with the 3" wheel adapters?
Old 06-06-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The rear end does not control the electronics of the system, but the rear end is what gives the signal for the electronics. I only drove the car to break in the gears, and the problem with the dash lights began the first time the car was on the road. Its not a problem that developed as I drove the car with the adapters. That is why I am so adamant about it being the rear end. My traction control worked perfectly fine with the stock rear end, and being that you advertise as a direct bolt in replacement for daily drivers, I went for it!
I guess I am just bummed I payed for the additional cost of the 4channel for it not to work. It seems the only cheap solution would be to get an ABS delete/ line lock....
Since troubleshooting the traction control systems can get costly very quickly!

Thanks for hearing me out and again, I appreciated your customer service.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:27 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Correct but as long as the adapter is on the axles and the backing plate is able to bolt up to the housing to mount the sensor that is as far as the rear end itself is involved with the system. You're still using the GM backing plate(that holds the sensors), the GM reluctor rings, and the GM sensors... That is all the system is made of to produce the signal.

Only other thing I can think of is check the axle flange run out and see if that is the issue.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
Correct but as long as the adapter is on the axles and the backing plate is able to bolt up to the housing to mount the sensor that is as far as the rear end itself is involved with the system. You're still using the GM backing plate(that holds the sensors), the GM reluctor rings, and the GM sensors... That is all the system is made of to produce the signal.

Only other thing I can think of is check the axle flange run out and see if that is the issue.
Okay, how do you check the axle flange run out? What's the correct measurement? And what are common symptoms of incorrect flange run out?
Thanks!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

are the front and rear tires the same dia. / within 2-3 % of same dia?
just wandering, Johnny
Old 06-07-2011, 01:50 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 01Blk*SS*
Okay, how do you check the axle flange run out? What's the correct measurement? And what are common symptoms of incorrect flange run out?
Thanks!
You need to put a dial indicator on the top and side of the axle flange and check run out to see if it is out of round both ways.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
are the front and rear tires the same dia. / within 2-3 % of same dia?
just wandering, Johnny
They are within 0.6" of each other..... I have seen people running a greater difference than that and not have any problems.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:34 AM
Staging Lane

I'm having the same issue with the same setup. I just purchased a scan tool to diagnose my problem so I got the same codes and typed them in here on the search engine and I am now on this thread that seems to have no solution to the problem. My codes are C0041, c0036 and c0046
Old 06-16-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

subscribed (and worried) :-(
Old 06-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

Any update 01Blk*SS*?
Old 12-03-2011, 02:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I will be checking my rotors with a dial gauge tomorrow. abs inop, low trac, and brake lights seem to never be solved on this forum. I am hoping my rotors are warped so that this problem will just go away. My abs is so screwed up when I'm driving, almost rear ended two cars recently. I never had problems with the stock 10bolt with my old wheel/tire setup. The problem arose just after starting my car up after the MWC fab 9 install, and with the same wheel tire combo.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Hey all, my name is John and I live in Virginia Beach, Va. I have followed the LS1TECH forums for a while and just finally registered. I have had the same exact problem since I installed my Moser 9" back in July. 3 Channel car. Im wondering if it might be the difference in the reluctor diameter on the larger 9" carriers. Otherwise I cant think of anything else the OP is missing. seems like all of his parts are set up correctly and just not getting the right signal. I hope any help I can offer is beneficial and maybe i can get mine figured out in the meantime.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

It is very hard to diagnose an issue hundreds of miles away. I have even searched to see if there is something we may be missing. Keep in mind all sensors that are on his rear end including the 4ch reluctor wheels are the ones that came off his 10-bolt.

Even if they were after market 4ch reluctor wheels they are built to factory spec and there is 100's of rear ends out there using them whether they are from Strange or Moser.

Let us know if you come up with anything else.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
It is very hard to diagnose an issue hundreds of miles away. I have even searched to see if there is something we may be missing. Keep in mind all sensors that are on his rear end including the 4ch reluctor wheels are the ones that came off his 10-bolt.

Even if they were after market 4ch reluctor wheels they are built to factory spec and there is 100's of rear ends out there using them whether they are from Strange or Moser.

Let us know if you come up with anything else.
It is true that there are a lot of people running the same rears with no issues. Could be an issue with the PCM. My car does the low trac thing along with the ABS and brake lights and it doesnt even have traction control. Gremlins.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

running Moser 9"/Moser axels/Moser rings on my 4 channel, all work fine when running 275-40-17 (dia about 25.5 ? ) street tires all around /MT drag radials, when running 295-45-17 MT (dia about 27.5) my ABS lite will go off/on at differert times
Johnny
Old 12-07-2011, 07:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
running Moser 9"/Moser axels/Moser rings on my 4 channel, all work fine when running 275-40-17 (dia about 25.5 ? ) street tires all around /MT drag radials, when running 295-45-17 MT (dia about 27.5) my ABS lite will go off/on at differert times
Johnny
That sounds right though because with your larger tires on, the front wheels have to make more revolutions to keep up with the rear tires. Kind of makes the computer think the rear wheels are locking up or something like that and it trips the ABS light. Does it ever activate your ABS while braking normal or does it still only do it under slippery/ hard braking situations?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackLS1Bird
That sounds right though because with your larger tires on, the front wheels have to make more revolutions to keep up with the rear tires. Kind of makes the computer think the rear wheels are locking up or something like that and it trips the ABS light. Does it ever activate your ABS while braking normal or does it still only do it under slippery/ hard braking situations?
Thanks for the reply, this is not a problem for me only making a statment,
do not remenber about the ABS, do most driving on street , but not a DD.
Johnny

Quick Reply: Low Trac Light from 60-65mph after rear end swap...