Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Aluminum 3rd member for street use.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
I think it would be fine. Hell I am looking at this. I work with a guy that has one in his drag car and its holding up great. I dont plan on ever making over 500 RWHP.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9-inc...Q5fAccessories
Many years ago my brother and I had a dragster in comp eliminator and ran it in two different classes over the years B/ED & C/D, The car weighed around 1400lbs and made well over 800 hp from a sbc. From day one it was build with the Strange LWA case and we never had an issue with the case. The gears were changed many times for a ratio change, but always looked fine. I know street cars are entirely different animals hence the question, but the way I see it, this case is still in use in B/ED cars that are now pushing close to 1000 hp. IMO It should hold up just fine to a 400+ hp street car weighing around 3500lbs or less. I could be wrong and it might eat gear sets every few thousand miles... guess I'll find out. BTW, I found at least one vendor who is rating these housings by horsepower. Not a sponcer here, but no prices listed: http://cachassisworks.com/Attachment...ers_DS_WEB.pdf
Old 01-18-2011, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

I'm also shopping around too and I'm leaning more towards this Aluminum Center

9" Ford Yukon Aluminum Through-Bolt Case

* 3.25" Case Size

* T6 Aluminum

* Over-Sized 7075 Forged Caps

* Accepts Standard 5-Bolt Pinion Supports as well as aftermarket 10-Bolt Pinion Supports.

* Good For 1000+ HP - One of Strongest Aluminum Cases on the Market!!!!!

It will be going on a 1999 S10 Blazer about 3600-3800 pounds with around 450-550 HP mated to a T56

What do you think Guys, for everyday driving and some long road trips, some beating at the track.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

To the OP, did you ever get a center section setup? I just setup my Yukon threw bolt aluminum center with a Ford Motorsports billet trac lock and Richmond Excel ring and pinion. Setup went great, set the backlash to .009 which was writen on the ring gear. Richmond calls for .008 to .010 backlash in the install instructions. I was thinking about maybe tightening up the backlash due to expansion of the aluminum. Its just me thinking and would like to see what others have done that run these on the street. My thinking is run it at .007 or .008 and when it expands it would be running in spec. It would have to get pretty hot to move any more than .002.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To the OP, did you ever get a center section setup? I just setup my Yukon threw bolt aluminum center with a Ford Motorsports billet trac lock and Richmond Excel ring and pinion. Setup went great, set the backlash to .009 which was writen on the ring gear. Richmond calls for .008 to .010 backlash in the install instructions. I was thinking about maybe tightening up the backlash due to expansion of the aluminum. Its just me thinking and would like to see what others have done that run these on the street. My thinking is run it at .007 or .008 and when it expands it would be running in spec. It would have to get pretty hot to move any more than .002.
Not yet, still in the planing stage.

At one time I had found a chart for temp/expansion of aluminum, if I find it again I'll post a link.

The back lash is not the only measurement that will change with temp, as the case grows the pinion will move away from the ring as well which will change the pattern. It will also loosen the carrier bearing preload.

The Yukon looks like a nice housing...nearly identical to Moser's unit.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We have sold a ton of the Yukon thru-bolt aluminum cases to both streetable cars as well as track only cars with excellent results. it's probably the best bang for the buck in weight/strength/cost. there are better cases out there, but this case works for 98% of the market. give us a call before you order parts... we keep any 9 inch component in stock and several gears to choose from and at great prices.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ssvert99
We have sold a ton of the Yukon thru-bolt aluminum cases to both streetable cars as well as track only cars with excellent results. it's probably the best bang for the buck in weight/strength/cost. there are better cases out there, but this case works for 98% of the market. give us a call before you order parts... we keep any 9 inch component in stock and several gears to choose from and at great prices.
Are you guys setting these up just like an iron case?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you guys setting these up just like an iron case?

Thats a good question, i'd like to know the answer as well.

I plan on calling you first Eric

Quick Reply: Aluminum 3rd member for street use.