Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Aluminum 3rd member for street use.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aluminum 3rd member for street use.

Having a 9in built in the next few weeks and am undecided as to which center section to use. The car will stay in street trim for the most part but is not a daily driver. It will see mostly crusing/drag strip use and some road course events. With an estimated 430hp at the crank, I think the Strange light weight aluminum center will be fine strength wise, but they caution against "street use" due to expansion rates wearing out the gear set. After pondering this for some time, I realized that there are some factory differrentials built from aluminum. Examples: Viper, Vette, Grand Cherokee, Challenger/Charger/300C, neo Camaro, Caddys, the list seems to keep going.

My first choice was the Strange "S" case but its 13 pounds heavier than the aluminum case, which is about the difference between a spool and a diff unit.

So, who is using an aluminum 3rd member and putting miles on it? Thoughts...
Old 12-24-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am building a 9 and have been wondering the same thing. And I have thought the same thing as you about stock cars having aluminum housings. My C4 Corvvette had a Dana 44 aluminum center. The only difference I see is that the stock cars that have aluminum diferentials have a complete housing or case surounding the gear that gives more suport.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Just bc another car has an aluminum diff doesn't mean anything. They will likely be engineered completely different. If Strange recommends against it, then don't do it. Simple. Listen to the people who design it, make it, and warranty it.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Just bc another car has an aluminum diff doesn't mean anything. They will likely be engineered completely different. If Strange recommends against it, then don't do it. Simple. Listen to the people who design it, make it, and warranty it.

Worse that would likely happen is you might get noisy gears from the aluminum case which would otherwise be quiet with the iron case. Noisy gears are no fun on the street.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Moser Aluminum Cases are made of 356-T6 aluminum with 7075-T6 aluminum caps and billet steel adjusters. Features a super strong through-bolt design to give the case increased strength and decreased ring gear deflection common in most aluminum case designs. All Moser Aluminum cases are drilled for the 3/8 stock pinion studs and 7/16 heavy-duty studs. The aluminum cases are also designed to be used with either a standard pilot bearing with snap ring retention, or a heavy duty, wider pinion bearing utilizing button head bolts for retention is available. Moser Aluminum Performance Cases weigh only 16 lbs., 15 lbs. lighter than our Nodular Iron Cases. All Cases are CMM checked for machining accuracy, and are supplied with all Grade 8 hardware.

You won't hurt this case on the street! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-25-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrd1972

Worse that would likely happen is you might get noisy gears from the aluminum case which would otherwise be quiet with the iron case. Noisy gears are no fun on the street.
That is my main fear, and the reason I'm ditching the moser 12 bolt. The T56 just keeps tearing it up, I replaced/upgraded the broken parts but can't keep it quiet.

Thanks for the recomendation Bob, but its way overkill in design and price
Old 12-25-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Since I have a manual I went with the nodular iron just for the peace of mind. I figure the car is already a tank whats a few more pounds.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

I put thousands of miles with a YSi blower making big power, t56 and a twin disk on my moser aluminum center with 370 gears. Almost always had mickeys on the back, and I routinely sidestepped teh clutch at 5 grand basically every time i drove it. never a peep, sound, whine or any breakage. Not alot of money when you consider its 15lbs of UNSPRUNG weight, if you do alot of high speed driving on rough roads it makes an incredible difference in keeping the rear planted

i will never use a heavy iron housing again, thats for sure
Old 12-31-2010, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally drove mine today afterchanging, among many other things, from a strange pro nodular case to a Moser bolt through Aluminum case. Even staying with the already broken in gears from the first case, no noise at all. I'm still running synthetic in it although I changed to Amsoil 75W-140 to quiet the locker a bit which it seems to have helped MAYBE a little with the detroit locker.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

After talking with Strange tech, they seemed much more concerned about the weight of the car; causing the case to flex under acceleration loads. And that was the cause of excessive gear set wear. The recommendation was for vehicles under 2800lbs with limited street use for the light weight aluminum center. He briefly mentioned that the different expansion rate of aluminum could be compensated for during initial set up.

Looks like I'll need to use a through bolt design if I decide on aluminum...

What I can't seem to wrap my head around is that there seems to be no consideration as to the amount of power being put to the LWA center, only the vehicle weight is the deciding factor.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how hot would a alum. diff get during a short 100 mile cruise?maybe point a heat gun at it to see?
Old 12-31-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
After talking with Strange tech, they seemed much more concerned about the weight of the car; causing the case to flex under acceleration loads. And that was the cause of excessive gear set wear. The recommendation was for vehicles under 2800lbs with limited street use for the light weight aluminum center. He briefly mentioned that the different expansion rate of aluminum could be compensated for during initial set up.

Looks like I'll need to use a through bolt design if I decide on aluminum...

What I can't seem to wrap my head around is that there seems to be no consideration as to the amount of power being put to the LWA center, only the vehicle weight is the deciding factor.

I dont know why they arent concerned with the HP... but if you look at the Strange LIGHTWEIGHT alum unit, its an exact copy of the nodular unit...just alum. No extra bosses or anything. Strange DOES make a much beefier case, the ultra case, but its geared towards dedicated racing IMO. The Moser unit is heavier then the lightweight Strange and at least on here, is proven on the street. I decided on it because I thought it was a good compromise between the two that Strange offers both in price and strength.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by garygnu
how hot would a alum. diff get during a short 100 mile cruise?maybe point a heat gun at it to see?
I'f I had to guess, I'd say it would be cooler then the iron one. I'll have to check my case when the weather warms up in the spring.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a strange aluminum center with my midwest chassis rear,and the hottest i could get my case was like 145 or so.I have 4.11 gears and a trac loc posi unit.They really wont get very hot,even after a long cruise.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

what fasteners are supplied with moser 9"rear ends,bolts or stud?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

15,000 miles on a midwest with the strange Al center section, T56 in front of it. I run the poor car very hard, breaking out sticky tires when necessary and when unnecessary. The rear is just as quiet as day one. Full weight but not much over 500 rwhp and 3.50 gears so your results may vary.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

torque is what wreaks stuff,with a blower you sir have torque.what tires do you run,I want to buy stock in that company.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback guys, gunna take the gamble on the Strange LWA case.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
Thanks for the feedback guys, gunna take the gamble on the Strange LWA case.
I think it would be fine. Hell I am looking at this. I work with a guy that has one in his drag car and its holding up great. I dont plan on ever making over 500 RWHP.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9-inc...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-09-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
I dont know why they arent concerned with the HP... but if you look at the Strange LIGHTWEIGHT alum unit, its an exact copy of the nodular unit...just alum. No extra bosses or anything. Strange DOES make a much beefier case, the ultra case, but its geared towards dedicated racing IMO. The Moser unit is heavier then the lightweight Strange and at least on here, is proven on the street. I decided on it because I thought it was a good compromise between the two that Strange offers both in price and strength.
Because that's how drive line parts are rated. weight seems to play the biggest part.

Quick Reply: Aluminum 3rd member for street use.