Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" lateral axle movement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moser 9" lateral axle movement?

I recently replaced my stock 10 bolt with a moser 9",wavetrac, 35 spline axles and 4.11 gears. the left rear axle in my stock 10 bolt had lateral movement when I supported the rearend and ran it up to speed, but my moser 9" does the same thing as my old 10 bolt. the right rear axle is perfect with no lateral movement at all. Is this normal? I'm just trying to nail down a vibration I've had for as long as I can remember. thanks for any replys, Mike.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Are you doing this with the wheels and tires installed? Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 01-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

yes the wheels and tires are installed, I even swapped wheels and it did the same thing. I put the wheels on a balancer and they are all spinning true. Its got me baffled because the stock rear end was doing the exact same thing. I find it hard to believe the axle is bent somehow. If I remember correctly I also took the wheel off and secured the rotor with lug nuts and ran it up again but it was really hard to tell if there was any lateral movement. I take it this is not normal at all. Thanks for the reply Bob.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 00camarossMV
yes the wheels and tires are installed, I even swapped wheels and it did the same thing. I put the wheels on a balancer and they are all spinning true. Its got me baffled because the stock rear end was doing the exact same thing. I find it hard to believe the axle is bent somehow. If I remember correctly I also took the wheel off and secured the rotor with lug nuts and ran it up again but it was really hard to tell if there was any lateral movement. I take it this is not normal at all. Thanks for the reply Bob.
Hmm, it has me baffled too. The first thing I would do is to take the wheels and tires off and run the car up on jack stands at idle, to check for axle run out. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 01-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

tonight i'm going to take the wheels and rotors off and check the runout on the axle flange. I bought the whole rearend assembly this past summer from you bob when you were over at exotic performance plus and i'm wondering if the run out is out of spec do I just ship the axle back to you for warranty? It only has maybe 500 highway miles on the rear end, i've babied it since i put it in. Thanks for your help Bob.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Staging Lane

well I measured the run out on my axles last night and the most I got was .003 so now I don't think its my axles. this narrows it down to wheels and rotors. I don't think its the wheels because i've tried 3 different ones and all of them wobbled on the car but not on the wheel balance machine. Now the rotors are stock rotors, i had power slot rotors on there before but changed them hoping to cure the problem. since I have a moser 9" and half inch wheel studs i'm wondering if the rotor isn't sitting just right on the drivers side. but then again it doesn't make sense that the passenger side isn't wobbling at all. at this point i'm extremely confused, maybe i'm just missing something here, any other ideas would be much appreciated, thanks, Mike.