Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

ford 1978 9 inch rear worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ford 1978 9 inch rear worth it?

someone around me is selling a ford 9 inch rear its out of a 78 ford f150 but its currently in a rock crawler 83 suburban and he claims it has brand new richmond 4.11 gears the rearend looks like its been recently rebuilt and painted but its set up for leaf springs. he wants 250 for it with trade for my stock 10 bolt. just wondering if its worth it to buy and try to install in my car? between the brackets and everything what would be the estimate cost if anyone knows? my cars an 02 camaro with an a4 tranny 105k miles. thanks any help is appreciated i tried looking around for ansewers but didnt get what i wanted to find out. i believe the wsm to wsm is 65in on the 9in.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

This is the one you want if you are going to try and build one yourself. It is the right width for the 4th gen. If it has the gears in it that you want and it has a posi in it then its a good deal. It takes a lot of fab work to make the 9 work in fbody, so you need some fab skills, or you need to know someone that does.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Default hmm

yea theres a diff shop up here id have them do all the work but there closed till monday just wanted to see if anyones done it with this type of a rear end and if there was any issues thanks for the advice though. dont wanna walk into there shop uninformed and them try to rape me for alot of money.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by desalator089
yea theres a diff shop up here id have them do all the work but there closed till monday just wanted to see if anyones done it with this type of a rear end and if there was any issues thanks for the advice though. dont wanna walk into there shop uninformed and them try to rape me for alot of money.
If You don't trust them, I wouldn't go there regardless of how well informed I was. Isn't there a shop there You trust?
Carl
Old 01-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

I've heard good things about this place just never been there yet id trust em from what ive heard so far. Just wondering if its worth it or to save and spend over 3k on a moser

Last edited by desalator089; 01-09-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by desalator089
I've heard good things about this place just never been there yet id trust em from what ive heard so far. Just wondering if its worth it or to save and spend over 3k on a moser
you may like to think about a housing and axel acc from
Bob@BruteSpeed I think about 1050-1100, will be housing correct width with mounting brackets/axel with your bolt pattern, bearings.
use your backing plates and brakes , then buy used center section from a junk yard about 1-200 ( can buy a "good" third menber later)
JUST be sure and find the used center first so you know which axel count you need to order ,I suggest 31 count
call BOB or one of OUR GREAT sponsers
just mt .02 Johnny
Old 01-11-2011, 03:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
you may like to think about a housing and axel acc from
Bob@BruteSpeed I think about 1050-1100, will be housing correct width with mounting brackets/axel with your bolt pattern, bearings.
use your backing plates and brakes , then buy used center section from a junk yard about 1-200 ( can buy a "good" third menber later)
JUST be sure and find the used center first so you know which axel count you need to order ,I suggest 31 count
call BOB or one of OUR GREAT sponsers
just mt .02 Johnny
Thanks, I appreciate it!

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-I...-and-Axles.htm
The OP could use the Moser housing and axle package shown in the above link, with the center section from that old 9" rear end. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: ford 1978 9 inch rear worth it?