Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need your help.... pulsating vibration and noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need your help.... pulsating vibration and noise

I need your opinion on what you think my issue may be. I think I've got it narrowed down to a few things.

Car is a 2000 Z28 A4 with origional rear end and 93,000 miles. I bought the car with 87,000 miles. Ive got a loud noise coming from the rear end (i think).
It was noticeable when i first bought the car, but has become significantly louder.

Its hard to describe the noise, but you can clearly hear it at anything over 30ish MPH. Gets extremely loud at all highway speeds. Sounds kind of like what super swampers off road tires sound like on 4x4 trucks when they go down the road. Not really a whine... more like a constant humming, or a mix between the two.
Its getting to the point where its loud enough that it overpowers the sound of my dumped true duals AND the radio.
At highway speeds I get a pulsating vibration that I can feel through the seat and center console. Can NOT feel it in the steering wheel.
If I click it into neutral the vibration seems to go away, but the noise is still present. On deceleration the vibration seems to get worse.

I think its either a bad pinion bearing or a bad axle bearing..

I have brand new tires that were mounted and balanced.
Brand new heavy duty rear U-joint.

The noise doesnt change at all when I turn the car... wouldnt a bad axle bearing change noise when you turn?

I'm currently searching for a used stock 10 bolt, but wanted to make sure I wasnt wasting my time.

What do you guys think? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have You checked Your u-joints and Your backlash on Your ring and pinion?
Old 01-31-2011, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have replaced the rear u-joint but have not checked anything else because the differential has never been opened up. Do you think that could be a possibility?