Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

8.8" vs Midwest Chassis Fab 9" rear end

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8.8" vs Midwest Chassis Fab 9" rear end

I wouldn't mess around with an 8.8" rear end.

You really cant compare an 8.8" to a MWC Fab 9" rear end.

The Midwest Chassis Fab 9 is a Pro Built 9" rear end that comes complete with Chomemoly Torque arm, Crossmember & Driveshaft loop.

The MWC Fab 9 comes with an Adjustable torque arm, with heim joints so that you can adjust your pinion angle & instant center for maximum traction. You can totally dial it in for the best Launch & traction.

I added the Backbrace option, 31 spline strange axles,black powder coat & PST Chromemoly Driveshaft. Eric at Midwest Chassis Designed this Heavy Duty rear end to last no matter how much power you throw at it.

The MWC Custom Fabricated housing comes with extra sheet metal , Gussets for additional strength , Backbrace & is second to none in strength & reliability. This Fab 9" is much... much stronger than the 8.8 in many ways.
Just look at it in the pictures that i posted here.

The rear end in my car is a MWC Fab 9 & im very proud of it.
Well worth the money... every penny !

The 9" is the best design in the industry because of its inherent strength, many available gear ratios, Quick gear changing & parts availability.

This rear end looks like it was built for a Tank ! & it is very light weight.
Attached Thumbnails 8.8" vs Midwest Chassis Fab 9" rear end-midwest-chassis-fab-9-rearend-004.jpg   8.8" vs Midwest Chassis Fab 9" rear end-midwest-chassis-fab-9-rearend-003.jpg   8.8" vs Midwest Chassis Fab 9" rear end-midwest-chassis-fab-9-break-oil-change-002.jpg   8.8" vs Midwest Chassis Fab 9" rear end-midwest-chassis-fab-9-break-oil-change-006.jpg  
Old 02-22-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

Wow sales pitch much? If someone is considering a 8.8 it is more than likely they are an a small budget or don't plan on modding their car beyond a simple DD street car. The MWC is not a budget piece by any stretch of the word.

This should be 9" MWC vs. 9" Moser or 9" MWC vs. S60

Otherwise you might as well be comparing the 8.8 to the stock 10 bolt. There are steps to things and sometimes guys don't NEED a rearend that can handle 2000hp. They just need a simple rearend that can be beat on and handle 500-600hp.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to be a dick but not only does that car have completely stock suspension minus rear and tq arm but has street tires as well. May I ask why that setup needs a rear like that?
Old 02-22-2011, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oldsmobility85 Not to be a dick but not only does that car have completely stock suspension minus rear and tq arm but has street tires as well. May I ask why that setup needs a rear like that?
In my opinion I think alot of people buy the baddest rear ends and put them in cars that make 4xx hp when they would have been just fine with a different rear end costing much less. Who knows though maybe the OP has bigger plans for his car in the future and doesn't want to buy a rear twice.

Then again there are a lot of different things that could be said as to why people buy things that they don't necessarily need.

And to the OP this thread was made why exactly?
Old 02-22-2011, 01:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree this thread is a little weird. While I do recommend MWC rear not just for the rear but there service also, I have big plans for my car and wanted a strong and lite rear. But agree its overkill if you are a DD or just a bolt on car. Pic of mine, dont worry about those stock shocks they be gone soon enough Op glad you are happy with your purchase.
Attached Thumbnails 8.8" vs Midwest Chassis Fab 9" rear end-mwc2.jpg  
Old 02-22-2011, 02:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Beautiful setup to the both of you. May I suggest losing the rear heatshields? Every little bit helps. Ill have to admit that fab rear looks cooler than a stock style 9". Id be talking trash if I had that rear. Lol.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:24 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind there is no such thing as over building but there is such a thing as over spending. How ever our fabricated nine inch is in the same pricing point as all other rear ends on the market if not cheaper.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

Midwest makes a badass rearend, and gives you more for your money, than probably any other company out there. But...

For the guy (myself) that needs a rear that's slightly better than a 7.5" 10bolt ever would be, but nothing nearly as extravagent as a fabricated 9", my 8.8" build is perfect. $75 bucks landed me a 99-up 8.8, with a 28spline trac lock, 3.73 gear, a donor 10bolt and axles, the fab work (myself) and the assembly (myself) oh yeah, forgot to mention the BOLT ON t/a bracket as well (also done by myself).
When a little is all you need (and could afford) why go ahead over build (spend) if you don't need to?
Old 02-23-2011, 01:14 AM
TECH Junkie

I really dig the l8 and I appreciate the fact that they designed a killer rear to put in place of that hunk of iron GM placed under our cars....
Old 02-23-2011, 01:16 AM
TECH Junkie

I really dig the m9 and I appreciate the fact that they designed a killer rear to put in place of that hunk of iron GM placed under our cars....
Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My opinion is that the fabbed 9"s are a good option for someone who dosent already have an aftermarket torque arm and tranny reloc bracket.

I had already bought mine, so I didn't really want to pay extra for a rear that included them.

Plus with as far as guys have pushed the stamped moser 9" housings I doubt I will ever have to worry about breaking it.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:58 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
Midwest makes a badass rearend, and gives you more for your money, than probably any other company out there. But...

For the guy (myself) that needs a rear that's slightly better than a 7.5" 10bolt ever would be, but nothing nearly as extravagent as a fabricated 9", my 8.8" build is perfect. $75 bucks landed me a 99-up 8.8, with a 28spline trac lock, 3.73 gear, a donor 10bolt and axles, the fab work (myself) and the assembly (myself) oh yeah, forgot to mention the BOLT ON t/a bracket as well (also done by myself).
When a little is all you need (and could afford) why go ahead over build (spend) if you don't need to?
Thanks for the kind words and we can respect a do it your selfer 100%.

My qualms about the 8.8 and welding a torque arm bracket to it, one all the dead weight you get from it and second not sure I trust the strength of the center chunk of an 8.8 housing. Keep in mind we build a bunch of 8.8's for Mustang guys and very familiar with them as well. They are a great rear end when using them for a factory 4-link car or even a leaf spring application.

Which brings me to the answer of the mini four link, as I get some questions on that also. My thoughts from feedback we have gotten from customers we have built the LCA to do this swap is they were not happy with the results. Now keep in mind one person can tolerate some things other can not. Most have commented how it hits the tires way to hard and isn't very controllable.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Valkyn
My opinion is that the fabbed 9"s are a good option for someone who dosent already have an aftermarket torque arm and tranny reloc bracket.

I had already bought mine, so I didn't really want to pay extra for a rear that included them.

Plus with as far as guys have pushed the stamped moser 9" housings I doubt I will ever have to worry about breaking it.
We agree and I ask customers that same question when calling to discuss rear end options. We are not here to up sell up sell up sell only as we are budget weekend warriors like every other member of this site.

If you have a torque arm stepping into the S60 or the Stamped Moser housing is a nice option, all though we lean more towards the S60 due to price and standard options it comes with. Again that all stems back to the fact we are budget guys as well and comparing price per option to equal the best bang for the buck.

In the end most realize they can sell their current used torque arm and buy our housing with a torque arm and cross member and the price difference in rear ends equals out. Then you end up with a much better and lighter set up.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
What tq. arm are you using? Were you the one that designed the box-like T/A bracket that mounts to the nose?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
What tq. arm are you using? Were you the one that designed the box-like T/A bracket that mounts to the nose?
I'm running a UMI tunnel mount torque arm. I've yet to post pics of my t/a bracket, because I haven't got it finished just yet.

I'm very confident that a bolt-on, triangulated t/a bracket will be what it takes for an 8.8 to survive, and that's exactly what I'm building. I'm trying every way possible to keep the weight down while stilll making a strong piece.

I'm not a welder/fabricator by any means. I'm a machinist with a good imagination. If there's any interest in mass producing these, I'll see about "donating" my idea to someone like Midwest, who has a proven track record already. Stay tuned tho!

Last edited by Mighty Whitey; 02-24-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Nice rear queer tail lights. You dont drive a civic..
Old 02-26-2011, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

^^^^ haha
Old 02-28-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jb7241986
Nice rear queer tail lights. You dont drive a civic..
Bahahaha

OP this whole threads seems ridiculous, like a way over done sales pitch. I agree MWC is god of the rear ends, but really? You're practically comparing an LS1 to an L36

Quick Reply: 8.8" vs Midwest Chassis Fab 9" rear end