Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Do I need An New U-Joint? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I need An New U-Joint? (pics)

I'm finally ditching the 2.73 rear end and swapping in a 3.42 rear. I unbolted the straps on the drive shaft and pried it loose and the caps that go over the end of the u-joint came off. It appears that there is a strap that was welded to them holding them together, and it broke loose from one. I don't see why it would be needed once the driveshaft is mounted because the caps would be held in place by the pinion yoke pressing against the lip around the inside edge of the caps. My guess is that this strap is just there to hold them together while you mount the driveshaft. But I wanted to make sure. No slop or clunking from the u-joints so otherwise I think its good.
Attached Thumbnails Do I need An New U-Joint? (pics)-000_0001.jpg  
Old 03-05-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Two hours and no reply? You people are worthless!!!
Old 03-05-2011, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dubga
Two hours and no reply? You people are worthless!!!
hay, some ppl don't get up before noon
yep you will be fine, just look at the joint amd be sure there are no wear marks on the stim, and you did not loose any of the needel bearings
Johnny
Old 03-05-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
hay, some ppl don't get up before noon
yep you will be fine, just look at the joint amd be sure there are no wear marks on the stim, and you did not loose any of the needel bearings
Johnny
Next time I tackle a big project, I will post my schedule ahead of time so you can all make sure you sit by your computers waiting for my posts in case I need help.

Thanks for the help. Now go back to bed.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:23 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

make sure alllllllllll of the needle bearings are in place. if one is missing, you need to replace the joint. at the milage, it may be cheaper to replace the joint now anyway. they are pretty cheap.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TJ
make sure alllllllllll of the needle bearings are in place. if one is missing, you need to replace the joint. at the milage, it may be cheaper to replace the joint now anyway. they are pretty cheap.
I thought about that, but I've never replaced one before. Don't they have to be pressed out and in or something? I was hoping to finish this up this weekend and there is no way I can find someone with a press this weekend.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Restricted User

I can't tell you if you need a joint from just a picture of the cap and broken metal tab to keep the cap from falling off...

There 3 parts to a u-joint, the cross, the bearings and cap...

wipe off the cross journal and put that pic up, and inside the cap....

If you have any play in the joint, by twisting it opposite of eachother then replace it....
Old 03-06-2011, 09:42 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

all you need are a pair of pliers, flat head screwdriver and a 1/2-9/16 socket usually does the trick. you dont need a press to change a u joint.

its too complicated to tell you. im sure there is a write up somewhere on the net or a vid on youtube. a picture is worth a 1000 words holds true to this project.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ
all you need are a pair of pliers, flat head screwdriver and a 1/2-9/16 socket usually does the trick. you dont need a press to change a u joint.

its too complicated to tell you. im sure there is a write up somewhere on the net or a vid on youtube. a picture is worth a 1000 words holds true to this project.
Needle nose pliers to remove the clips, and an 8" c-clamp or a vice, with the above mentioned. Lots of grease in the cap to keep the bearings from falling down in it when your putting them in doesn't hurt either.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

do a google " change u joint"
came up with several ways to do it

I think you may need to use heat to melt out the plastic seal. IF you use heat DO NOT BE with in line of sight of the caps while heating, wave seen the grease inside the joint build pressure and blow a cap complely threw a tin wall
jpb is not hard, but if you "an't been there-done that" get a little info before you begain
Johnny