Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Manual rack and spool on the street???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Manual rack and spool on the street???

Currently I'm running a manual rack with the stock 10 bolt, skinnies up front, and turning isn't all that great at times. If I'm moving, it's fine but from a start it sucks lol. Anyways, I'll need to upgrade rear ends soon and wanted to run a spool. Any of you guys running this combo on the street? Just seems like it'll be almost impossible to make any turns. The car isn't a daily driver by any means but sees the street 4 times a week during the summer. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:00 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been doing it that way myself since the 80's. The thing with a spool is 90% of the time you buy it and never have to worry about buying another diff unit. Now surely it isn't something you would want for cornering what so ever but your average weekend warrior set up that gets cruised around from time to time will be more than fine.

Running manual steering falls into the same guide lines and been doing it that just as long to owning cars that didn't have power steering to begin with from the factory. Some people have a different tolerance that others just don't have.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you actually running a manual rack or did you loop the stock rack?
Old 03-18-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
Been doing it that way myself since the 80's. The thing with a spool is 90% of the time you buy it and never have to worry about buying another diff unit. Now surely it isn't something you would want for cornering what so ever but your average weekend warrior set up that gets cruised around from time to time will be more than fine.

Running manual steering falls into the same guide lines and been doing it that just as long to owning cars that didn't have power steering to begin with from the factory. Some people have a different tolerance that others just don't have.
Exactly why I want a spool, I'd rather not have to mess with it in the future, not to mention its lighter, costs less, etc. etc. Just wanted to see how many people actually do this for a car that'll see the street from time to time.

Yes, it's a manual rack. This is my first time driving without power steering so I guess I'm just not used to it yet, just thought it'd be a littler easier as far as backing out and parking.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the stock size wheels up front?
Skinnies make steering from a stop much easier however once you get used to the lack of power steering your arms will become the power assist lol
Old 03-18-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

haha yeah skinnies up front. I'm just afraid if I put a spool in it I might never wanna drive it on the street.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has never bothered me, heck I had a D/D for years with this set up on an older G-Body. Skinnies, Hoosier Quick time pros, converted power rack, and a spool around 3800 pounds.

Off ramps were never much fun but stop light to stop light was always a blast.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Spool is horrible on the street! Mine is coming out.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by subhumanzz
loop the stock rack? explain.. i want to get rid of power steering as well since my car is just a weekend warrior. I have a full spool in my 9" right now but haven't installed it yet. I would love to delete the horrible looking power steering pump and reservoir off of my head but a manual rack is way to expensive for something that makes it harder to turn... can you turn the oem rack and pinion into a manual rack?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by amwellls1
Spool is horrible on the street! Mine is coming out.
any specifics on this, bc I have not seen too many probs with a spool?As long as your not doing any cornering and not driving in the rain, why's it so horrible?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JoshuaCole67
a manual rack is way to expensive for something that makes it harder to turn... can you turn the oem rack and pinion into a manual rack?
you can, but it makes it harder than a manual rack... Looping the stock rack, I believe is just taking the pump out of the Power Steering.

The bad part of this is that the manual racks are geared towards manual-ablilty. the OEM rack is geared to use the Power Steering Pump, and without it, it's harder to turn than a manual rack.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by JoshuaCole67
loop the stock rack? explain.. i want to get rid of power steering as well since my car is just a weekend warrior. I have a full spool in my 9" right now but haven't installed it yet. I would love to delete the horrible looking power steering pump and reservoir off of my head but a manual rack is way to expensive for something that makes it harder to turn... can you turn the oem rack and pinion into a manual rack?
You can remove the ps pump, get a shorter belt and just plug both ports on the factory rack. Some people drain the fluid, others leave it to recirculate. Or you can loop the lines. There is no way I would drive the car on the street with full size tires and a looped oem rack so that's why I bought the manual one. I mean it's not all that bad, just from a stop it's hard to turn the wheel...once you're moving it's easy.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by battousai
you can, but it makes it harder than a manual rack... Looping the stock rack, I believe is just taking the pump out of the Power Steering.

The bad part of this is that the manual racks are geared towards manual-ablilty. the OEM rack is geared to use the Power Steering Pump, and without it, it's harder to turn than a manual rack.
ok that makes since.. thanks for clarifying

Originally Posted by mike135531bubba
You can remove the ps pump, get a shorter belt and just plug both ports on the factory rack. Some people drain the fluid, others leave it to recirculate. Or you can loop the lines. There is no way I would drive the car on the street with full size tires and a looped oem rack so that's why I bought the manual one. I mean it's not all that bad, just from a stop it's hard to turn the wheel...once you're moving it's easy.
What rack are you using? what was your cost for it?

Quick Reply: Manual rack and spool on the street???