Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Think I've lost the LSD - 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011 | 01:39 PM
Teching In

Default Think I've lost the LSD - 2

Hm, I can't access my original thread (Think I've lost the lsd) any more

Anyway, see attached for why the rear end started clunking! That's not the LSD then... but on a 120k mile car I guess I should replace everything now, gears, lsd, bearings (including wheel)... yes??

-I <know> someone will say just put 9" in it or similar, but it appears to me that that option will cost about double, also from what I saw, even the "bolt in" ones like Moser sell aren't quite bolt in, at least on my 3-channel rear, so in fact the cost goes up...

If I go with new bits in the old axle, from what I read, Motive are ok for gears (not too noisy) but who for lsd?

kr D.

PS: The failure looks to me like a classic "fatigue failure" and I bet an aircraft eng. would say either "inclusions" or "bad machining"
Attached Thumbnails Think I've lost the LSD - 2-dscf0705.jpg   Think I've lost the LSD - 2-dscf0702.jpg  
Old 03-27-2011 | 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dermot
Hm, I can't access my original thread (Think I've lost the lsd) any more

Anyway, see attached for why the rear end started clunking! That's not the LSD then... but on a 120k mile car I guess I should replace everything now, gears, lsd, bearings (including wheel)... yes??

-I <know> someone will say just put 9" in it or similar, but it appears to me that that option will cost about double, also from what I saw, even the "bolt in" ones like Moser sell aren't quite bolt in, at least on my 3-channel rear, so in fact the cost goes up...

If I go with new bits in the old axle, from what I read, Motive are ok for gears (not too noisy) but who for lsd?

kr D.

PS: The failure looks to me like a classic "fatigue failure" and I bet an aircraft eng. would say either "inclusions" or "bad machining"
My guess would be shock loading. Why not calculate what it's going to cost to get it back together, price an S-60, and see how much a better axle will really cost? On my car an S-60 was a drop in. Had some issue but not bad. And wasn't all that bad considering what a 12 bolt or 9" Ford would cost. Look through the posts here and see what problems we're having with the various installs.

Al in Tucson

Al
Old 03-27-2011 | 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...-lost-lsd.html
Old 03-27-2011 | 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big Al
My guess would be shock loading. Why not calculate what it's going to cost to get it back together, price an S-60, and see how much a better axle will really cost? On my car an S-60 was a drop in. Had some issue but not bad. And wasn't all that bad considering what a 12 bolt or 9" Ford would cost. Look through the posts here and see what problems we're having with the various installs.

Al in Tucson

Al
send them your backing plates, go with metric studs buy the driveshaft from strange and it really is a bolt in.