Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

s60 gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default s60 gear oil

Hey all, I will be installing my new S60 soon and I was wondering about the gear oil. Strange sends 3 quarts of gear oil, but everything ive read about them they state that it only calls for 2 quarts. Anyone know what the deal is?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's because you are supposed to mail the extra one to me
Old 04-02-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

I know they say around two quarts for fill but it's really 2.5 quarts.... at least that's what mine took. After break in I switched to Valvoline synthetic 75w-140 just because I'm not a fan of Lucas anything...
Old 04-02-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure you add that bottle of break in fluid that should come with the rear ? and do the correct break in runs with the rear of your car up on jack stands
My rear was making a little wine sound on deceleration after awhile of driveing her and still having in that first oil fill,,, but went away after i changed it and installed some fresh rear end oil Just put some miles on her first to break her in and change the oil and don't worry (if) this happens to you LOL
Old 04-02-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trik396
I know they say around two quarts for fill but it's really 2.5 quarts.... at least that's what mine took. After break in I switched to Valvoline synthetic 75w-140 just because I'm not a fan of Lucas anything...
Thanks thats good to know. Why dont you like Lucas stuff?

Originally Posted by barnat
Make sure you add that bottle of break in fluid that should come with the rear ? and do the correct break in runs with the rear of your car up on jack stands
My rear was making a little wine sound on deceleration after awhile of driveing her and still having in that first oil fill,,, but went away after i changed it and installed some fresh rear end oil Just put some miles on her first to break her in and change the oil and don't worry (if) this happens to you LOL
Ive never seen anyone mention anything about break in fluid with the Dana and Trutrac? Also they dont call for running it on jackstands? 50 mile intervals with full cool downs is what ive read? I could be mistaken? Anyone else have input on this? Thanks!
Old 04-02-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by silversrtman
Ive never seen anyone mention anything about break in fluid with the Dana and Trutrac? Also they dont call for running it on jackstands? 50 mile intervals with full cool downs is what ive read? I could be mistaken? Anyone else have input on this? Thanks!
No break in oil came with mine. S-60 w/spool.

Was any of yours tight? Mine is. With some miles it's easier to turn forward than reverse. At first it was hard either way. I'm keeping my fingers crossed there is no problem. Before you ask, it takes 45 ft-lbs to rotate it backwards about 23 forwards at the axle flange.

Al
Old 04-02-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Al

Was any of yours tight? Mine is. With some miles it's easier to turn forward than reverse. At first it was hard either way. I'm keeping my fingers crossed there is no problem. Before you ask, it takes 45 ft-lbs to rotate it backwards about 23 forwards at the axle flange.

Al
Should have came with a break in fluid,,, Not sure what it was but it came with mine?

Trending Topics

Old 04-02-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Strange told me to run mine at a certain RPM for a certain time up on stands then at a higher RPM at a certain time so this is EXACTLY what i did beings it was a $3000 rearend!LOL
Old 04-02-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I do a lot of research on Bobistheoilguy.com... tons of info there...
There is no special additive or "break in" fluid required for the TrueTrac and the 50 mile break in's are what is required for 250miles with another 250 regular driving to complete. If you run a spool or locker I have no idea what break in, if any, is required.

Last edited by trik396; 04-02-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-02-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Big Al

Al
Spools are a totally different animal but that does seem abit tight.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by barnat
Strange told me to run mine at a certain RPM for a certain time up on stands then at a higher RPM at a certain time so this is EXACTLY what i did beings it was a $3000 rearend!LOL
What exactly did you get for that kind of money?? considering mine was almost $1000 less???

Quick Reply: s60 gear oil