Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ring/Pinion installer in Nashville/Middle TN area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Ring/Pinion installer in Nashville/Middle TN area?

i am looking for someone to install a set of AAM 4.10's in my 1998 SS.....i would do it, but i don't have the measuring tools to set them up properly......i am ordering the gears soon along with an install kit.....if anybody knows someone who could do it or a good shop who can do it right please let me know.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bumpski
Old 04-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going through this right now - I'm in the area. I'm doing it myself, except for the parts requiring a hydraulic press - having a transmission shop do that part. Haven't got the parts back yet. Also getting busy, it's going to be hard to find time to put it back together. Going to have to make it a priority, though. It is my daily driver. I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^yeah, cool, let me know....what brand of gears did you go with?.....i would tackle it myself, but i'm afraid it'll whine like crazy if i do it.....
Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Motive. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Hopefully this weekend.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Got it finished today. Drove it around, hardly any noise at all. I'm very happy with it. I get wheel spin very easily, though, which is to be expected with 3.42's. I haven't had a chance to really get on it yet...
Old 05-01-2011, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am about 2.5 hours north of you in Bardstown KY. I have all the tools to do it. If you want to pull it out and bring it up here I can put them in. The AAM gears do not have pinion depth written on them like most aftermarket gears do. You have to do the trial and error method of changing pinion shims until the pattern looks good. The factory shim is usually really close though on AAM gears.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZForce1
Got it finished today. Drove it around, hardly any noise at all. I'm very happy with it. I get wheel spin very easily, though, which is to be expected with 3.42's. I haven't had a chance to really get on it yet...
did you just use the gear paint or did you have all of the measuring tools and dials?

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
I am about 2.5 hours north of you in Bardstown KY. I have all the tools to do it. If you want to pull it out and bring it up here I can put them in. The AAM gears do not have pinion depth written on them like most aftermarket gears do. You have to do the trial and error method of changing pinion shims until the pattern looks good. The factory shim is usually really close though on AAM gears.
i appreciate it man, but i'm thinking i'm going to give it a try on my own.....it'll probably turn into alot of trial and error, with a little bit of cussing!!
Old 05-03-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jc98ss
did you just use the gear paint or did you have all of the measuring tools and dials?

i appreciate it man, but i'm thinking i'm going to give it a try on my own.....it'll probably turn into alot of trial and error, with a little bit of cussing!!

I am sure it will...Good luck with it.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Launching!

I had a magnetic mount dial indicator to measure backlash. It takes a minute to set up with the adjustable arms and all, but it works. I do something similar on aircraft at work. Then I checked it with paint afterwords. I guess you could use just paint, but if you have to make several adjustments you run the risk of running out of paint before you're done.

Quick Reply: Ring/Pinion installer in Nashville/Middle TN area?