Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

8.8 Mini ladder bars suspension problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8.8 Mini ladder bars suspension problems

Ok well first for the background info. 8.8 swap with the 10 bolt tubes welded on, stock length. Used 4.10 gears and traclok, moser axles. 98 firebird, 6 speed. Anyways my main problem is my rear end feels like it rocks back and forth, possibly from play in the ladderbars. So Im wondering how much play in the ladder bars is too much? The holes in the brackets I had punched out by a metal shop not drilled out but they seem pretty tight and the rods only have a bit of play when i get them loose. Just installed the moog bushings hoping that would help but it didnt. Stock lower controls arms btw. Oh and another thing my buddy pointed out the other day. My car anti-squats really bad, and with the "ladder bars" being so short, when the rear lifts, is it creating a really bad pinion angle? Sorry for the long post, been trying to figure this out for a while.

-Will
Old 05-02-2011, 07:49 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The mini-ladder bar setup works in these cars, but that's about it. It binds and does not let the suspension articulate or move freely in its range of travel but for a few inches. There's a reason why it's not that popular...
Old 05-02-2011, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Ya I know they arent the best, but the torque arm setup would have been much more expensive and I dont have the cash for it right now. Just trying to figure out why it feels like my axle is wrapping. I can here it clunk/pop when i go from decel to accel like the ladder bars are allowing slack. Even though Ive tightened everything time and time again. Could it be my bracket holes are slightly too big?

-Will
Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Launching!

did a ladderbar last summer, my lcas were blown out so there was a tiny bit of movement, but otther then that it felt fine, besides the rear popping up when you would shift or give it gas.. i used all chromoly Teflon heim joints so they were really nice, here is a pic of mine. edit, make sure your bushing in your lcas arent blown out.. like i said mine were and there was some movement there.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:44 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

any type of slop in the holes will cause all kinds of noises. the rearend is in a severe bind with this setup and will actually wear on the brackets just by driving it.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Ya i replaced my stock LCA bushings for the hard rubber versions to eliminate that. Is there some sort of metal bracket bushing that I could weld in to make sure the fit on the bolt is perfect? Im using a 5/8 bolt now so if I could weld in a bushing of some sort then use rod end bushings and use a smaller bolt I would, but dunno if that will change anything. It feels like my axle is wrapping a small amount and making a popping noise from the rod end slack being taken up. Also lttransam how did you go about making sure your ladder bars were equal length on each side, and the axle rotation angle isnt different per side? Thanks for the help guys

-Will
Old 05-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Launching!

just measured the amount of threads on the heim joint
Old 05-04-2011, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

subscribed Im about to start an 8.8 for mine and have been racking my brain on how to do a T/A mount or if i want to go ladder bars.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

But I dont think my brackets are perfectly even on the axle, so I think on rod is a little longer than the other. Was wondering if you measured off the body somehow. Drago if you have the means to do a torque arm, do it. The torque arm suites these cars so much better. But if you dont, then I dont think the mini ladder bars are that bad. The insane antisquat is the major downfall for men, but I just ordered some competition engineering drag shocks so hopefully I can help that. It hits the tires super hard lol

-Will
Old 05-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Teching In

ladder bars in general "anti-squat". When doing the upper bar, try to make it as long as possible. That will soften the initial hit. Mine will be on the track in the next couple weeks so I will let you know.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Thats what I did, made mine as long as possible, but be for warned, don't make it too long. Otherwise it will come in contact with the frame rail...ask me how I know although honestly, i don't think it actually matters, cause the mounting point for the LCA is what needs to be farther forwards.

-Will
Old 05-10-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Exactly for that reason i declined to use mini ladder bars in mine. I going to use a TA set up to easy on my suspension parts.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fastsspr
Exactly for that reason i declined to use mini ladder bars in mine. I going to use a TA set up to easy on my suspension parts.
How do you plan on doing the torque arm mount?
And on I side note I just installed some competition engineering drag shocks this weekend, and wow did they help. The major anti-squat is gone, the rear still anti-squats a little from dig, but getting on it from a roll it squats barely and the front lifts. Feels 10 times better

-Will
Old 05-13-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I going to tried make a copy of the extreme chassis bracket to use a Spohn TA with tunel brace mount. I'm working on the design of the bracket now.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

Interested in outcome of your design. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do also and a design like that had crossed my mind
Old 05-14-2011, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm designing the bracket and decided to use 9" housing ends to delete the c-clips with moser 31 spline axels.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wfritts911
And on I side note I just installed some competition engineering drag shocks this weekend, and wow did they help. The major anti-squat is gone, the rear still anti-squats a little from dig, but getting on it from a roll it squats barely and the front lifts. Feels 10 times better

-Will
That's good news...just out of curiosity, what setting did you put the shocks at?
Old 05-19-2011, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

I just put them on the 50/50 setting. Haven't had time to try any other settings

-Will

Quick Reply: 8.8 Mini ladder bars suspension problems