Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" assembly question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moser 9" assembly question

So I ordered a Moser 9" axle/housing package from Brute Speed, but I ran into a problem trying to put the axles together and I'm looking for some insight. To start, it's for a 96 f-body, going to use LT1 disk brakes, no ABS, 31 spline axles.

Everything I'm reading and as well as what everyone I've asked it telling me is that the order of assembly starting from the flange is caliper bracket, shim, bearing, press-ring. Problem is the rings that came with my axles don't press on, way too big i.d. I pm'd Brute Speed about this and he said "I have no idea about the 5/8 collars, they don't belong on there for a f body. You don't need them." But everything I've seen/read on 3 different forums say that there is supposed to be a press ring after the bearing? Just trying to get a little more insight on this before I put it all together and find out the collars needed to be in there. I plan to call Moser on Monday, but I thought I'd ask around here first.

Some pictures of what I'm talking about:

Old 05-13-2011, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

That retaining ring in your hand should be the same diameter inside as your bearing, if it isn't, you just got the wrong ones.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you were sent a 35 spline bearing/seal kit.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Emulsifide
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you were sent a 35 spline bearing/seal kit.
That very well could be what the problem is. Do the bearings look to be the correct id? I can get whatever you need sent out Monday. Note that not all of the bearings that Moser sends out have the o-rings. Bob

Note: The 1/8" shims are for using LT1 brakes

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-14-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

You have to have the press ring, I would agree with the guy above. You got the wrong ring. Im sure if bought this from Bob he will take care of you.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

I haven't pressed anything on yet, but it feels like the bearings are the correct i.d., like they should press on fine. The press rings though are different i.d., I'll take some measurements Bob and send them to you.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by musicman
I haven't pressed anything on yet, but it feels like the bearings are the correct i.d., like they should press on fine. The press rings though are different i.d., I'll take some measurements Bob and send them to you.
Thanks, I'll be over at Moser Monday morning. Bob

Old 05-19-2011, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

So you'd think after talking about press rings over and over and over, sending measurements of press rings, showing pictures of press rings, that you'd send freaking PRESS RINGS! I'm not sure about you guys and all the good experience with Brute Speed, but I'm damn near done with them, I got an envelop of axles seals today, that took about a week to get here, I don't need axle seals, the originals are fine. This is a bunch of crap if you ask me, this shouldn't be that dammed complicated, but apparently it is.

/rant
Old 05-19-2011, 02:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by musicman
So you'd think after talking about press rings over and over and over, sending measurements of press rings, showing pictures of press rings, that you'd send freaking PRESS RINGS! I'm not sure about you guys and all the good experience with Brute Speed, but I'm damn near done with them, I got an envelop of axles seals today, that took about a week to get here, I don't need axle seals, the originals are fine. This is a bunch of crap if you ask me, this shouldn't be that dammed complicated, but apparently it is.

/rant

Steven, I just sent you a copy of the invoice, which shows that Moser was to send you out 1.531 press rings. I am very sorry that you received axle seals instead of the press rings. I am going to have them overnight you press rings. Thanks. Bob

Old 05-19-2011, 03:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Kip (VP of Moser Engineering) is pulling the rings himself and giving to UPS 1 day air. You will have the rings tomorrow. I am very sorry about this. Bob

Old 05-19-2011, 03:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Steven, I just e-mailed you a tracking number. Thanks. Bob

Quick Reply: Moser 9" assembly question