Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Quick Performance 9" Rear Pics Inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Emulsifide
Excellent post. Thank you for the advice! I will definitely look up the rod ends when I get the chance. If I provide you with that info, could you suggest a better part?

I'm also very curious how you can tell just by looking at the photos that the rod end isn't sufficient. Please educate us! Thanks.
If You are wanting the best rod ends, search for the XAM / XAB series of Aurora rod ends. Add the proper shank length of NAS bolts with nuts and You are talking top drawer!
In 99.9% of the streetable f-body applications a wide body 4130 FK rod end will more than suffice.
The narrow rod ends pictured are typically reserved for track locators (cheap ones) or lawn mowers, no pun intended!
Look at the width of the body on the UMI rod ends and compare to the width of the rod ends in question. The body is the part of the rod end that encapsultes the ball.
Thank You for being willing to look into this potential problem and discuss it in a civil manner!
Carl
Old 05-11-2011, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, there is one thing I am confused about here regarding the rod ends. Carl, you mentioned that the proper ones would be larger in size and the ones on the UMI TA are better quality but in fact the ones on my BMR Torque arm are exactly the same size as the ones shipped with my QP rear end. I can even swap them, they are threaded the same. They are however Silver in color, they look like the ones on the UMI picture and the ones on my QP rear end are black like the ones shown here on the TA bracket. So are we talking about different grades of metal here or is size the issue? What I would like to know is if I did choose to replace the black ones would the ones you say are supposed to be used fit in the same place?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 02Z28ZO6
Ok, there is one thing I am confused about here regarding the rod ends. Carl, you mentioned that the proper ones would be larger in size and the ones on the UMI TA are better quality but in fact the ones on my BMR Torque arm are exactly the same size as the ones shipped with my QP rear end. I can even swap them, they are threaded the same. They are however Silver in color, they look like the ones on the UMI picture and the ones on my QP rear end are black like the ones shown here on the TA bracket. So are we talking about different grades of metal here or is size the issue? What I would like to know is if I did choose to replace the black ones would the ones you say are supposed to be used fit in the same place?
If You replaced the black rod ends that are pictured, both alloy and width play an important role in selecting a replacement. As far as the BMR rod ends You are describing, I have not seen a pic or seen them in person making it difficult to comment. However if they are the narrow body style rod end Iam not a fan of them in any application for a high performance car.
There are so many factors to consider and so much mis-information it would require pages of explanations to provide reasoning for the selection of rod ends. Play it safe and look up the brand / part # in question, compare specs to the same threaded end in another alloy and or brand and buy the best! We are not talking hundreds of dollars here but We are talking about risking lives. Do the right thing! Buy quality suspension components and cut back elsewhere in the car like stereos or carbon fiber hoods.
I hope this is being taken as helpful without stepping on toes but it is an important decision.
Carl
Old 05-11-2011, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Great advice Carl. You're absolutely right about this from what I see visually.

Give me a sec. I went outside an took some pictures. They're uploading now. I'll edit this shortly.

EDIT: Here we go!

The QP rod ends say CMX12-10 FK:

As you can see, there's substantially more material on the UMI Performance rod ends:

Also, there seems to be some play between the bracket and the rod end...a definite no no for heim joints:

Eyeballing it, it appears the UMI rod ends are the proper width for the bracket (just a tiny bit wider), but I'll measure everything up with a digital caliper to make sure. Also, the UMI Performance rod end didn't have a part number on it. Perhaps Ryan can speak up about this.

Last edited by Emulsifide; 05-11-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Throwing the number into Google real quick, I found this:
http://pitstopusa.com/i-5083521-fk-r...3-4-16-rh.html

Here's what appears to be the XAM equivalent:
http://pitstopusa.com/i-5064312-auro...-5-8-hole.html

HOLY effin price different, but that doesn't matter to me. I'm absolutely willing to pay the price to make this thing even more stout.

Here's the specs for the two (taken from http://www.fkrodends.com/CMXCMXT19.html and http://aurora.thomasnet.com/item/h-p...=prod&filter=0)

CMX12-10 FK:
Static load - 25,000 lbs

Aurora XAM-10:
Static load - 40,572 lbs

Looking closer at the specs, these aren't the same dimensions, but I'm definitely sold on getting better ones than what Quick Performance put on here. I tried looking for an XAM series 12-10 rod end, but can't find one. Any suggestions Carl?

Last edited by Emulsifide; 05-11-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

I agree, a few extra bucks for saftey is well worth it. Hey, was that the top or bottom rod end you showed the P/N for? Mine has a shorter shank on the top one and a longer one on the bottom for the adjustment. Are both of your the same?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

I agree, a few extra bucks for saftey is well worth it. Hey, was that the top or bottom rod end you showed the P/N for? Mine has a shorter shank on the top one and a longer one on the bottom for the adjustment. Are both of your the same?
Mine are both the same. Strange...
Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 PM
FormerVendor

You might try the Aurora web site or the FK site. Try looking at known quality chassis builders web sites as well.
Right now I feel I have helped that one person making Me feel much better. I need to read and or answer another 80 emails tonight! Please excuse Me for a few hours...
Carry on grasshopper!
Carl
Old 05-11-2011, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Carl, the BMR's are the same ones as the UMI. I also have a TA made by Random Technologies and it also has the exact same silver rod ends. Seems to be a standard for the adjustable TA's.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Looking over the specs between the two, the Aurora XAM-10 appears to be the best match (at least in the XAM series. The ball width is a tad thinner, but as you can see, it's an assload stronger (go figure). That's the only difference from what I can see.

I'll do further research, but this promising.

Thank you again for pointing this out Carl.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Well, not sure exactly what UMI uses but BMR advertises that they use QA1 heavy duty rod ends. You can see on the link below, there are 2 series of HD QA1 and both are rated pretty low for strength, even compared to the CMX12-10 FK. It would seem that alot of the aftermarket parts we buy come with inferior rod ends. I think this is something people need to look into more when deciding to buy a part now.

http://www.jegs.com/i/QA1/122/CMR10/10002/-1
Old 05-11-2011, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Well, not sure exactly what UMI uses but BMR advertises that they use QA1 heavy duty rod ends. You can see on the link below, there are 2 series of HD QA1 and both are rated pretty low for strength, even compared to the CMX12-10 FK. It would seem that alot of the aftermarket parts we buy come with inferior rod ends. I think this is something people need to look into more when deciding to buy a part now.

http://www.jegs.com/i/QA1/122/CMR10/10002/-1
That's definitely lower. What I'm curious about now is how often a rod end has failed with regard to the torque arm. This may warrant opening a new thread under suspension....

I just found this on UMI's site:

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=456

It looks homemade. No clue on actual specs.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Torque arm mount:
Carl. This what you are describing?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Looked for info on google on broken rod ends and didn't really come up with anything, there are how ever quiet a few postings for broken torque arms. I found a few posting where people wanted to upgrade the rod ends in hopes of them being quieter.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have one in my car now, been in there for about 3K miles. I have a few tips I can give you on the install. Don't use an adjustable torque arm, you have heim joints on the mounting bracket and on the torque arm, this creates a hinge and you TA will move back and fourth about an inch, you need a non-adjustable TA. Next, fit your bracket to the TA before you paint or powder coat it, I had to do quiet a bit of grinding on mine to make it fit the torque arm, of coarse i did this after I had it powder coated, lol. Lastly, if they didnt send you seals that go in the axle tubes, get them, the axle bearings leak and get gear oil all over your brakes. Once it is in, you will love it, no more worries about granading your RE.
do you know the seal part #? I am having this repeating problem with mine. I am getting tired of having to cut the seals off to replace them. I used rtv around them but they still leak.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Nice! Nice welds on yours its obvious to me that the guy who welded mine is not the same guy who did yours.

I've noticed there's a lack of decent pics of this rear end, so I'm sharing this with everyone:

Mr. UPS Guy dropped this off conveniently at my garage door hidden behind my Volvo while I was a work:

Rut roh!! Mr. UPS Guy appears to have torn a massive hole in the side of my 75lb box. No worries though since everything was in it!! All I have to say about that is:

This thing is AWESOME. All the welds are absolutely gorgeous. Here's some 9 inch rear **** for ya:

THICK tubes! I don't know if this is common or not, but the tube ends were even welded internally for extra support:

Torque arm mount:

Now for the bad. It looks like my UMI LCA relocation brackets aren't going to fit. They need to be about a 16th of an inch wider to fit properly:

Not a huge deal I don't think. I'll probably end up grinding off a little bit of material on the house and the brackets to make them fit..
Old 05-13-2011, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

This is excellent information, deserving of it's own sticky...

This is the exact reason I come here. You can't put a value on information like this. I feel much more comfortable in my decision making process. Thanks Carl for bringing the matter to light, and to Emulsifide for doing some research for us.

Last edited by RobRomero; 05-13-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by need4fun2469
do you know the seal part #? I am having this repeating problem with mine. I am getting tired of having to cut the seals off to replace them. I used rtv around them but they still leak.

Call Brydon at QP, he knows exactly what they are and if you bought your RE there, he will send them for free. They are inner axle seals, mine are coming in the mail so i don't have the P/N right now. Yeah, mine leak with the car parked, lol. Seems to be a common, but minor complaint with all the 9" set ups like this.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Here are some pics on mine installed, mine has QP's upgrade housing, you'll notice the center of the housing is built a little different and there is webbed supports inside the housing. I have since changed the torque arm to a non-adjustable as having rod ends in both places causes the arm to move back and fourth.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

That's gorgeous man! Where are those ARB mounts from?!?! I want a set....

UPDATE: After bringing up the UPS problems and the rod end concerns, QP had this to say about it:

"Hi Andy,

We have taken more and more precautions over the years to make sure our packages get delivered intact. We still do occasionally hear about packages showing up like yours did. The only other option we have would be to ship rear ends truck freight. Unfortunately, that is not a very practical option for us and mainly our customers.

I understand the concern about the rod ends in our torque arm bracket. We have never had any complaints about them except having to run a solid end for use with certain adjustable torque arms. I will send you a pair of different rod ends just to make sure you do not run into any possible issues.

Let me know if you have any questions or if anything comes up."

SWEEEEEET!!

Quick Reply: Quick Performance 9" Rear Pics Inside