Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Quick Performance 9" Rear Pics Inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quick Performance 9" Rear Pics Inside

I've noticed there's a lack of decent pics of this rear end, so I'm sharing this with everyone:

Mr. UPS Guy dropped this off conveniently at my garage door hidden behind my Volvo while I was a work:

Rut roh!! Mr. UPS Guy appears to have torn a massive hole in the side of my 75lb box. No worries though since everything was in it!! All I have to say about that is:

This thing is AWESOME. All the welds are absolutely gorgeous. Here's some 9 inch rear **** for ya:

THICK tubes! I don't know if this is common or not, but the tube ends were even welded internally for extra support:

Torque arm mount:

Now for the bad. It looks like my UMI LCA relocation brackets aren't going to fit. They need to be about a 16th of an inch wider to fit properly:

Not a huge deal I don't think. I'll probably end up grinding off a little bit of material on the house and the brackets to make them fit..
Old 05-10-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That thing looks good, and you can't beat the price, i actually gave quick performance a call before i ordered my MWC 9", the guy at quick performance was great and answered alot of my questions, he said that you can order the rear end with re-location brackets already installed, any reason you didn't go that route?
Old 05-10-2011, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
That thing looks good, and you can't beat the price, i actually gave quick performance a call before i ordered my MWC 9", the guy at quick performance was great and answered alot of my questions, he said that you can order the rear end with re-location brackets already installed, any reason you didn't go that route?
The price was actually even better for me. I worked with Mike via eBay when I purchased it off of there. I had an automotive 10% off coupon emailed to me AND eBay just started doing this 10% eBay bucks promotion if you seal the deal using Internet Explorer 9. I basically got 20% off!!

That sucks regarding the LCA brackets. I got the following back from Mike regarding LCA brackets:

"As of now, we are not offering any options for LCA relocator brackets. We are testing a new design and plan on manufacturing new brackets sometime in the near future. If you would like to use your LCA re locator brackets, that will be up to you."

No biggie though. I can weld them myself. I'm glad the UMIs I have on-hand are as close to fitting as they are.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I never dealt with the Quick Performance rear ends but that does look very nice. It looks like our Moser brackets will be best for that rear end, #2011. Thanks for the pictures... it helps us know if anyone ask.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have bought quite a few things from them. No complaints on anything I have got so far.

Hope it it works out well. It for sure does look good.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
I never dealt with the Quick Performance rear ends but that does look very nice. It looks like our Moser brackets will be best for that rear end, #2011. Thanks for the pictures... it helps us know if anyone ask.
Ryan,

Any chance you'd be willing to swap a set of brackets with me for providing these pictures? The brackets I have a brand spankin new, but were bought around 6 months ago. I'll pay for shipping both ways. I'd GREATLY appreciate it!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Also, if there's any other pictures people want to see, let me know and I'll take them.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

I have one in my car now, been in there for about 3K miles. I have a few tips I can give you on the install. Don't use an adjustable torque arm, you have heim joints on the mounting bracket and on the torque arm, this creates a hinge and you TA will move back and fourth about an inch, you need a non-adjustable TA. Next, fit your bracket to the TA before you paint or powder coat it, I had to do quiet a bit of grinding on mine to make it fit the torque arm, of coarse i did this after I had it powder coated, lol. Lastly, if they didnt send you seals that go in the axle tubes, get them, the axle bearings leak and get gear oil all over your brakes. Once it is in, you will love it, no more worries about granading your RE.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:00 PM
9 Second Club

Looks good.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Oh, btw, just spread those LCA brackets a little and use a rubber mallet to get them on, I had to do the same thing. Also best if you weld them in place.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

Looks really nice.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:49 AM
TECH Regular

my trq arm fits horrible in this . i had to bend the set buckets to get it to fit in there lol . other than that its good .
Old 05-11-2011, 07:28 AM
FormerVendor

The trend to spend whatever it takes to make a car look nice and have plenty of HP followed by shortcutting suspension components is going to get someone hurt, hopefully those using this torque arm mount never allow children in their car!
Trying to think of a nice way to describe what is blatantly wrong with that torque arm mount is difficult to do. With that being said here is a warning.
Those spherical rod ends are NOT strong enough in this application.

I've already said more than I wanted to but if one person that has this listens then it will be worth the risk of making the purchasers of this system mad.
Carl
Old 05-11-2011, 08:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP
The trend to spend whatever it takes to make a car look nice and have plenty of HP followed by shortcutting suspension components is going to get someone hurt, hopefully those using this torque arm mount never allow children in their car!
Trying to think of a nice way to describe what is blatantly wrong with that torque arm mount is difficult to do. With that being said here is a warning.

I've already said more than I wanted to but if one person that has this listens then it will be worth the risk of making the purchasers of this system mad.
Carl
Carl,

Defamation is a pretty easy thing to get caught up in on the internet. I sure hope what you said is true (and can be backed up with finite element analysis, tensile, and shear strengths of the components involved) for your sake, because you've opened yourself up to a lawsuit if Quick Performance sees this and loses a sale over what you've said.

With that, I haven't done any static analysis short of determining that my torque at the axle is well below the shear limit of my 31 spline Moser axles going in this.

What specifically is going to fail? Are the threads going to pull out of the bottom torque arm mount joint? Will the bottom heim joint stretch and snap due to a low tensile strength?

Honestly, I don't see how it's any different than the heim joints on a UMI Performance adjustable torque arm:

If anything, the torque exerted on the QP mount is actually less than that of the UMI Performance adjustable torque arm because the joints are located closer to the center of the axis providing the torque. for those that haven't take a statics course, the further away you get from the torque point, the more force is exerted (hence why cheater bars break bolts loose).

My post back to you isn't to induce further conflict, but rather to induce further information (proof). I'm all for safety, so if you can prove your point, I invite you to do so. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

One more image from this morning showing off the other side of the housing with the fill and drain caps in sight:

Old 05-11-2011, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

Carl
So does this apply to every Adjustable Torque arm made since they all have these same joints? There are no complaints of anyone having an issue with this set up and I have seen over 1K HP put through them. It looks much stronger than most of the other 9" TA mounts I have seen, not to mention what people are doing to the 8.8 to make it work. Do you have any examples of issues with this set up?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Emulsifide
Ryan,

Any chance you'd be willing to swap a set of brackets with me for providing these pictures? The brackets I have a brand spankin new, but were bought around 6 months ago. I'll pay for shipping both ways. I'd GREATLY appreciate it!
Yes I can do that. As long as you are okay with paying shipping and the difference in bracket price I would be glad to help.

If you decide to do this PM me and I give you details on how to exchange.

Thanks!
Ryan
Old 05-11-2011, 06:47 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Emulsifide
Carl,

Defamation is a pretty easy thing to get caught up in on the internet. I sure hope what you said is true (and can be backed up with finite element analysis, tensile, and shear strengths of the components involved) for your sake, because you've opened yourself up to a lawsuit if Quick Performance sees this and loses a sale over what you've said.

With that, I haven't done any static analysis short of determining that my torque at the axle is well below the shear limit of my 31 spline Moser axles going in this.

What specifically is going to fail? Are the threads going to pull out of the bottom torque arm mount joint? Will the bottom heim joint stretch and snap due to a low tensile strength?

Honestly, I don't see how it's any different than the heim joints on a UMI Performance adjustable torque arm:

If anything, the torque exerted on the QP mount is actually less than that of the UMI Performance adjustable torque arm because the joints are located closer to the center of the axis providing the torque. for those that haven't take a statics course, the further away you get from the torque point, the more force is exerted (hence why cheater bars break bolts loose).

My post back to you isn't to induce further conflict, but rather to induce further information (proof). I'm all for safety, so if you can prove your point, I invite you to do so. Thanks.
Your post will not induce any conflict from Me. Apparently My description of the problem and My motivation to post the obvious problem with component selection (the rod ends) has been misunderstood. My intent was to share My knowledge of proper component selection in a highly stressed application. The rod ends pictured are not designed for this application.
I can only hope that You and others purchasing this package will replace the rod ends with a stronger part. The are not that expensive.
If You want engineering data, google the brand and part # off Your rod end, then compare this to the data from the rod ends pictured on the UMI torque arm. You will be amazed at the difference! Yes I can tell this from the photos.
BTW, the lower rod end is only going to be stretched during hard braking.
I wish You were close enough or willing to come to Wichita, I would be glad to share whatI have learned the hard way with many years of chassis building. Component selection is only one of many considerations prior to building and selling a product peoples lives depend on.
My motivation is not to slam a product so I can sell more, I'm very comfortable with the current volume of sales I currently have.
Please call any time You like, My number is listed below. I think at the end of our conversation You will be glad We talked.
Carl
Old 05-11-2011, 07:08 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your post will not induce any conflict from Me. Apparently My description of the problem and My motivation to post the obvious problem with component selection (the rod ends) has been misunderstood. My intent was to share My knowledge of proper component selection in a highly stressed application. The rod ends pictured are not designed for this application.
I can only hope that You and others purchasing this package will replace the rod ends with a stronger part. The are not that expensive.
If You want engineering data, google the brand and part # off Your rod end, then compare this to the data from the rod ends pictured on the UMI torque arm. You will be amazed at the difference! Yes I can tell this from the photos.
I wish You were close enough or willing to come to Wichita, I would be glad to share whatI have learned the hard way with many years of chassis building. Component selection is only one of many considerations prior to building and selling a product peoples lives depend on.
My motivation is not to slam a product so I can sell more, I'm very comfortable with the current volume of sales I currently have.
Please call any time You like, My number is listed below. I think at the end of our conversation You will be glad We talked.
Carl
^^^ Thank you!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Carl
Excellent post. Thank you for the advice! I will definitely look up the rod ends when I get the chance. If I provide you with that info, could you suggest a better part?

I'm also very curious how you can tell just by looking at the photos that the rod end isn't sufficient. Please educate us! Thanks.

Quick Reply: Quick Performance 9" Rear Pics Inside