Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What did my car just shove through the dif cover? (REAREND)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What did my car just shove through the dif cover? (REAREND)

OK, crap... I walk outside this morning, and they're a trail of dark fluid coming down the road and going under my car. I look under the dif.... and there's a friggin puddle... A SIZABLE one. I guess I fragged something when I was out last night. Would any good Samaritans be willing to help a man out? I need to figure out what I broke.

UPDATE: took some pics. I KNOW I broke SOMETHING... Now I just have to figure out what. Going out now to take the rear cover off the dif and see what the hell decided to jump through the cover. PICS:

coming down the road:

backing into my spot:

The puddle that was under the dif (moved the car forward about 2 feet so I could get under it.

AAAND... Something sticking through the rear cover... looks like it might be a bolt or something. all I know right now is that it's round and threaded.

Any thoughts on what the hell that is?
Old 10-13-2011, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

I think the only bolt it could be is a ring gear bolt, if it was one of the main cap bolts I don't think the car would be moving. As far as fixing it goes, as long as nothing else is screwed up, I would just pop the cover off and put the bolt back in with some loctite and tighten it down to spec. Then either get a new cover or fix that one. I would also make sure all the other ring gear bolts are tightened to spec.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was hoping it was something simple like that... going to vatozone to see if I'm lucky and they have a rear cover and gasket in stock.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also, it happened somewhere on the way home... I never heard any wierd noises, and the car drove fine. Hell, I started it this morning to move it forward away from the curb, no noises or anything. Hopefully this is what it is. I'll know soon enough, as soon as I can get those ******* bolts broken loose.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll find several bolts loose when you open it up... You'l notice the bolt is reverse threaded (i.e. like someone said - ring gear bolt). Clean it up, torque them WITH loctite and jb weld the cover. less than 10 bucks and you're back on the road with no leak.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Id pull the cover off and see what it looks like in there.. mine kinda looked like that but much worse...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=30704af471

Sure you can put new bolts in the ring gear and torque it but id pull it out and check out your bearings, mine were shot and there wasn't any sound out of it until it went..

I'm placing a order in at Midwest Chassis and Performance next week for a fab 9" setup..
Old 10-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You're a lucky sumbitch.........thats for sure. Could have been allot worse if it got caught in a gear.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427
You're a lucky sumbitch.........thats for sure. Could have been allot worse if it got caught in a gear.

definitely.

my luck it would've hopped out while i was cruising at 85 on the highway while holding hellishly hot coffee.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if thats a stock 10 bolt.... my car with 50,000 miles had a bolt next to the ring gear back out by itself and fall between the ring and pinion and locked up everything. i pulled the cover to find a mangled up bolt that fell out. trashed my gears and ripped a hole im my cover like that one. I think its getting pretty common. prolly a defect from GM.

Last edited by StangEaterSS; 10-13-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

Hammer the hole shut and braze it up after you fix the bolt.

Al
Old 10-14-2011, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last time I had a hole like that, it was from the end cap on the torsen chucking a bolt head through the cover.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I got that cover off yesterday.

Yeah, it was raining. Yeah, I was laying in a puddle under my car. Yeah, it sucked.

The little bastard that caused all my problems.

AAAAND, where it came from.

I rotated the wheel slowly and looked, and I didn't see any real damage inside the rear end. A few TINY scratches, and it looks like a bolt head kicked this one through the cover. There are FOUR other bolts that are finger-tight, so I'm going to loktite the **** out of all of them tomorrow when I parts get in. I ordered a new bolt and a new cover.

Just a quick question... Duffster, how'd you know that I'd find several other loose ones? That was kind of creepy
Old 10-14-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

I'd replace ALL the bolts. Don't take a chance.

Al 95 Z28 in Tucson
Old 10-14-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

had something like that happen to me before while i was driving, lucky i wasnt going more then 30mph, drove it home like that with no oil

broke 2 bolts off, those 2 got into the ring gear and went around it and pushed against the cover and cracked it from top to down

and found 2 other bolts lose
Attached Thumbnails What did my car just shove through the dif cover? (REAREND)-rearend.jpg  
Old 10-15-2011, 03:58 AM
11 Second Club

Just a quick question... Duffster, how'd you know that I'd find several other loose ones? That was kind of creepy
Elementary my dear Watson! Based on the time of day the picture was taken, given the F-stop the photos were taken with, correcting for the heading of the car and humidity levels for your lat/long, I deduced you have, and pay attention to the tough part here, you have a Camaro!

Seriously, it actually stood to reason, if one was loose, several would be. Seen it, experienced it, regretted it
Old 10-15-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So, got the rear end back together with the new cover, went out, and put some miles on it. So far, no noises or leaks, so I think she's in the clear. Thanks to everyone for their input, and especially thanks Joe for all the advice on the phone this morning and for bullshitting with me while the RTV dried.

Nothing looked really bad in there... I sprayed it all out with brake cleaner. Some minor wear on the ring gear, but I imagine it'll be OK... I'm thinking about getting rid of the 4.10 and buying a 3.83 soonish anyway. I'm sure it'll hold until then. I'm really glad I bought an extra ring gear bolt at the dealership... I stripped the teeth right off of one when I was going around blue loktite'ing and torquing all of them, so it came in handy. Didn't use a torque wrench, as I couldn't find mine. I just turned until I was sure they weren't backing out again. The only wierd thing was that the head sizes of the dealership ring gear bolts were big (11/16, IIRC), and the ones that were in there were 5/8.

I used some red RTV on the new cover, let it dry some, and filled the rear up with Mobil1 75w90 LS synthetic gear oil.

AAAND... PICS:

My baby up on jackstands with all my crap scattered around.

And a closer look at the ugly-*** new OEM cover.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all the bolts in my stock rearend were broke off inside the carrier and it looked like a machine gun destroyed the rear cover,the ring and pinion looked ok but i didnt tear it apart,i just went and got another 10 bolt at a junkyard.lucky yours didnt do what mine did,i did get the car home slowly.it sounded like every wearing part inside was coming out the backend of the car as i drove it slowly home.