Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Installing solid pinion spacer in 10 bolt. Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try to measure it in the way that the wheels normally rotate. Bear in mind that on the drivers side axle this will be counter clockwise which will unscrew the test lug nut if it is not tight enough although normal lug nut torque is 100 ftlbs and the cone test torque is below this. I didn't have a problem and I also did mine in both directions and there was not a large variance. It is important to note that some torque wrenches only operate correctly in the clockwise direction. There are arrows imprinted in the handle under the scale identifier (ftlbs or newton meters) to let you know if the wrench will work in one or both directions, this is for click type wrenches with which I am familiar.

Last edited by guppymech; 11-10-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

take a look at this link there is a lot of pictures and helpful info
on working on the rear.

http://www.keliente.com/gears.htm

If a girl can do it
you can too!

Just messing with you,
she is a member on here (keliente) and is not just an ordinary girl
wonder if she is available?
we all could use a woman with them kind of skills.

http://www.keliente.com/gears.htm
Old 11-10-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, believe it or not I have had those links bookmarked for a while. Definitely was helpful
Old 11-10-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just installed a solid pinion spacer, its easy. Measure the crush sleeve that came out, add shims to the spacer so its slightly larger then the crush sleeve, reinstall everything, tighten til you get your bearing preload.

Ratech kit comes with instructions, so its basically idiot proof. Now setting backlash and teeth pattern are another thing.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1badzee
I am probably picking up a rear with gears/carrier that I would like to use in my housing (since I have nicely welded LCA relocation brackets). Simply put, can I just swap over the parts (making sure to take note of where shims are placed) to my rear? I will measure backlash and check gear pattern, that is no problem. I was just wondering the method for installing a solid pinion spacer. Do I just measure the old crush collar with it's shims and take that measurement and transfer it over using the solid spacer and shims? I will definitely do some more reading. That website you recommended (01ssreda4) was very helpful, thank you!
Let me answer this in a direct way. NO. You can not remove the gears and spacers from one axle and just put all of it in another housing. It don't work that way. There is a lot more to this. Someone suggested you get a service manual and find out what needs to happen. That is good advice. I will suggest you get an old manual for something int he 60's as they are more informative. The 10 bolt is almost exactly like a 10 bolt in a 60's Chevy, Olds and so on. The internal parts are different but the way they are set up is the same.

I googled and found this:

http://nick_novotny.tripod.com/install.html

Read it through quickly and there are errors in it but it's generally close. It will at least give you an idea of what has to happen.

Al
Old 11-11-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

Just found another thread here that has some good info:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...t-problem.html

Al
Old 11-11-2011, 06:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Big Al
Let me answer this in a direct way. NO. You can not remove the gears and spacers from one axle and just put all of it in another housing. It don't work that way. There is a lot more to this. Someone suggested you get a service manual and find out what needs to happen. That is good advice. I will suggest you get an old manual for something int he 60's as they are more informative. The 10 bolt is almost exactly like a 10 bolt in a 60's Chevy, Olds and so on. The internal parts are different but the way they are set up is the same.

I googled and found this:

http://nick_novotny.tripod.com/install.html

Read it through quickly and there are errors in it but it's generally close. It will at least give you an idea of what has to happen.

Al
Listen to Al! he knows his stuff. Even though you say you are not reduilding it, you really are. Just becasue you are not changing the ring and pinoin, you are doing everything else that is done in a normal rebuild. I wish someone other then ratech made a spacer for the 10 bolt, I think its kind of cheesy. The ones that I have seen for other rears are nice billet machined peices. The Ratech is made out of a peice of pipe. What ever you do, do not put the pinoin nut on with an impact or the Ratech spacer will collapse. Ask me how I know.. Also get you an inch pound tourqe wrench the next tool I make is going to be a case spreader.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

I have acquired about five to six different links/sources of rebuilding the rear. I think I will go ahead and buy a rebuild kit to completely freshen it up and find my own backlash, pattern, preloads, etc. I did some extensive reading and does not seem as bad as I thought. I suppose a huge part is having all the right tools (which I will see if I can rent somewhere). I have access to a press and pneumatic tools so that will not be a problem. I appreciate all who have contributed in this thread
Old 11-11-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, if you can do a cam swap, this will be a walk in the park.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Like I said, mechanically inclined I am. Just never done exactly this before
Old 11-12-2011, 06:24 AM
TECH Resident

I have acquired about five to six different links/sources of rebuilding the rear. I think I will go ahead and buy a rebuild kit to completely freshen it up and find my own backlash, pattern, preloads, etc. I did some extensive reading and does not seem as bad as I thought. I suppose a huge part is having all the right tools (which I will see if I can rent somewhere). I have access to a press and pneumatic tools so that will not be a problem. I appreciate all who have contributed in this thread
If yuo are reusing your ring and pinion, if it is not making noise, check pattern and back lash before you pull it apart. Then duplicate that when you put it back together.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

...mechanically inclined I am...
ok Yoda . remember you must that gears is part science, part art. part mechanics, and part craftsmanship. be fine you will i believe.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
ok Yoda . remember you must that gears is part science, part art. part mechanics, and part craftsmanship. be fine you will i believe.
Hahaha thanks man. I can finally say that these past few years of physics and calculuses are going to come in handy Whether a success or fail, update in here with pictorial evidence I will
Old 11-23-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm probably too late for my reply to matter, but in case you haven't done this yet:

I would stronly advise you to just have your LCA relo brackets cut off and re-welded to the "new to you" rearend and run it as-is. Then take your original rear and start building it up as funds and time allow. This way you will be riding quicker and cheaper....without fear of gear whine, etc. Plus you can still get the experience of working on the spare rear. Being a 7.5" ten bolt....you're gonna need it sooner or later anyway. Probably sooner.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
I'm probably too late for my reply to matter, but in case you haven't done this yet:

I would stronly advise you to just have your LCA relo brackets cut off and re-welded to the "new to you" rearend and run it as-is. Then take your original rear and start building it up as funds and time allow. This way you will be riding quicker and cheaper....without fear of gear whine, etc. Plus you can still get the experience of working on the spare rear. Being a 7.5" ten bolt....you're gonna need it sooner or later anyway. Probably sooner.
Funny you should mention that. That is exactly what I am doing. Buying some bolt-on LCA relo brackets and I will dig into the spare (my old) 10 bolt slowly and take my time to do it right. It never hurts to have a backup 7.5 Thanks for the reply!

Quick Reply: Installing solid pinion spacer in 10 bolt. Need advice