Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

nasty vibration after moser 12 bolt install

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nasty vibration after moser 12 bolt install

I have a 94 M6 LT1 camaro. I was driving one day and got on it, my stock rear with 4.10 made a loud noise and locked the wheels up for a split second and just rolled after that. I took the rear cover off and the gears were broke in a million pieces. I then put a new Moser 12 bolt true trac. I now have a nasty vibration at 70mph, and it gets worse the faster I go. Before I replaced the rear end I had no vibration. So I replaced old parts with UMI adj lower control arms, panbar and torq arm. I had a alignment done and set the pinion angle -2 according to Moser. I still had a vibration after this so I called Moser and they said most likely it was a bent driveshaft. So I just replaced the driveshaft with a Spohn performance DS and the vibration is still there...I do not know where to go from here...any help would be great

Last edited by reesez28; 12-04-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine does the same thing after putting the 9" in. Long story short, the rims self center on the axle hub, and its not in the tight tolerance as the stock axles. The idea was to grind down the inner part of the rotor so the rims have a larger lip to center on.

I have not been able to test this out as put maybe 100 miles on the car a month. But the alignment place I took it to right off the bat asked me what axles are in the car, and they have seen a lot of these issues.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP.
Determine if it happens in ONLY 5th or 6th gears. If it is only in 5th and 6th, the answer is here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...vibration.html

If it occurs in 4th as well, sounds like either a driveline angle issue or something funky in that rear.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wrd1972
OP.
Determine if it happens in ONLY 5th or 6th gears. If it is only in 5th and 6th, the answer is here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...vibration.html

If it occurs in 4th as well, sounds like either a driveline angle issue or something funky in that rear.
It does it in 4th gear also
Old 12-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by _JB_
Mine does the same thing after putting the 9" in. Long story short, the rims self center on the axle hub, and its not in the tight tolerance as the stock axles. The idea was to grind down the inner part of the rotor so the rims have a larger lip to center on.

I have not been able to test this out as put maybe 100 miles on the car a month. But the alignment place I took it to right off the bat asked me what axles are in the car, and they have seen a lot of these issues.
I took the rear tires and rotors off and still have the vibration
Old 12-05-2011, 10:04 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm confused here a little because I have never seen anyone have to grind anything to make stuff work with our rear ends. The register is the same as stock on Strange axles.

To OP how are you determining pinion angle? Walk us through it and we may be able to help you out this way incase you may be missing a step.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
I'm confused here a little because I have never seen anyone have to grind anything to make stuff work with our rear ends. The register is the same as stock on Strange axles.

To OP how are you determining pinion angle? Walk us through it and we may be able to help you out this way incase you may be missing a step.
I've complained about vibrations on the way home after it was installed at your shop. I've lived with it for years, but anything past 75MPH is a PITA. At 75MPH the mirrors start shaking and you can feel it everywhere. At 95+MPH you can't see anything out any of the mirrors.

The guy I took it to is mrr23 on the forms here, and he is highly recommended by many guys around the Tampa and Orlando areas. His first question to me before even jacking up the car was what axles are in it, and he immediately proceeded to show me the wheel wobble he's seen with many aftermarket rearends, especially F-body.

He also checked the pinion angle as well as every other alignment and that's all in check. His idea was to either grind down the inside hub of the rotors (I have drilled and slotted) or try some new blank rotors. We also checked to see if maybe I had a bent axle or rim, but when we swapped the rims the wobble never followed an axle or rim. Sometimes the wobble would be there, other times it would be straight.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've complained about vibrations on the way home after it was installed at your shop. I've lived with it for years, but anything past 75MPH is a PITA. At 75MPH the mirrors start shaking and you can feel it everywhere. At 95+MPH you can't see anything out any of the mirrors.

The guy I took it to is mrr23 on the forms here, and he is highly recommended by many guys around the Tampa and Orlando areas. His first question to me before even jacking up the car was what axles are in it, and he immediately proceeded to show me the wheel wobble he's seen with many aftermarket rearends, especially F-body.

He also checked the pinion angle as well as every other alignment and that's all in check. His idea was to either grind down the inside hub of the rotors (I have drilled and slotted) or try some new blank rotors. We also checked to see if maybe I had a bent axle or rim, but when we swapped the rims the wobble never followed an axle or rim. Sometimes the wobble would be there, other times it would be straight.
You can PM me your name but we installed the rear end here at our shop?

So your after market rotors aren't fitting onto a stock measuring axle register? Every register has been the same since day one, now that doesn't mean one didn't get made wrong but you can measure yours for me and if it is wrong I can have Strange send you a new one in the proper size. They are just held in by one screw.

We have sold many rear ends and so have other companies on here for F-Bodys and I am not aware of any known wheel wobble issue with them. Now there can and has been an issue with after market parts not fitting properly but all after market rear ends today use the same flange size and register of a stock ten bolt.

I have seen after market wheels usually cheap knock offs have to small of a register and not fit properly causing issues but any stock wheel will have the proper register size and fit with out issue.

Like I said measure your register and get back to me on what it is.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Default 2020

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
You can PM me your name but we installed the rear end here at our shop?

So your after market rotors aren't fitting onto a stock measuring axle register? Every register has been the same since day one, now that doesn't mean one didn't get made wrong but you can measure yours for me and if it is wrong I can have Strange send you a new one in the proper size. They are just held in by one screw.

We have sold many rear ends and so have other companies on here for F-Bodys and I am not aware of any known wheel wobble issue with them. Now there can and has been an issue with after market parts not fitting properly but all after market rear ends today use the same flange size and register of a stock ten bolt.

I have seen after market wheels usually cheap knock offs have to small of a register and not fit properly causing issues but any stock wheel will have the proper register size and fit with out issue.

Like I said measure your register and get back to me on what it is.

I'm having the same issue with my 2000 trans am. Anything above 65mph and I'm getting a massive wobble
/knock. I've been to countless shops with no real answer.

Quick Reply: nasty vibration after moser 12 bolt install