Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange 12-bolt wheel stud replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 02:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry 1SLwLS1, I never saw your post until now, but as 01ssreda4 said you have to remove the axle because the Strange studs are screw-in. The 10-bolt studs are press-in so you can sort of angle it in through the hole in the backing plate. My stud didn't snap off like yours so I was able to chase the thread with the split thread chaser (in the picture above), but yes, I'm sorry to say that you do have to remove the axle.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
The reluctor blocks the bolt head for the Strange screw in studs. It cannot be done without pulling the axle.
The axles I am not so much worried about removing, the reluctor wheel on the other hand... isn't that piece pressed on? With the axles removed, must the reluctor be pulled off and pressed back on or what?

Originally Posted by Predator
Sorry 1SLwLS1, I never saw your post until now, but as 01ssreda4 said you have to remove the axle because the Strange studs are screw-in. The 10-bolt studs are press-in so you can sort of angle it in through the hole in the backing plate. My stud didn't snap off like yours so I was able to chase the thread with the split thread chaser (in the picture above), but yes, I'm sorry to say that you do have to remove the axle.
No worries, thanks for the info and pictures thus far.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
The axles I am not so much worried about removing, the reluctor wheel on the other hand... isn't that piece pressed on? With the axles removed, must the reluctor be pulled off and pressed back on or what?
2+2.........Reluctor is pressed, it must move, its the last in line, etc. Yeah, its ugly.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took a propane torch and heated the reluctor a little more than too hot to touch and pried them off with a biggish pry bar...takes about 1 minute per axle. Was the one thing that was easy on my rear.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Yep, got mine off with a propane torch, 2 x 18 inch prybars, a vise, and a buddy helping.

Quick Reply: Strange 12-bolt wheel stud replacement