Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange 12-bolt wheel stud replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 02:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Strange 12-bolt wheel stud replacement

Fellas, I need to replace a stripped wheel stud on the passenger rear side. I know about removing the ABS sensor trick with a stock 10-bolt and feeding the stud through the hole, but can you do that with a Strange 12-bolt as well instead of having to remove the axle(s)? Thanks.

BTW, if anyone is looking for M12-1.5 x 2" Strange wheel studs you can find them here:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...AL%20%20&dds=1

Last edited by Predator; 12-27-2011 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cut holes in the backing plates for this exact reason, but have yet to actually try getting the studs out that way. Since the Strange axles use screw-in studs, I'd need an impact gun, and I don't currently own one (and that's because I don't have a compressor suitable for running air tools). I have a set of 1/2" screw in studs from Mark Williams that I'd really like to install...maybe this year I'll get to it.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks, so you're saying there's no hole in the plate where the ABS sensor is located, like the stock 10-bolt has?

Last edited by Predator; 12-28-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:22 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Predator
Thanks, so you're saying there's no hole in the plate where the ABS sensor is located, like the stock 10-bolt has?
Well...there wasn't in mine because I ordered the rear without any ABS/TCS provisions, so I just cut the hole myself with a holesaw. If you used 4 channel backing plates, the holes would already be there.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Well...there wasn't in mine because I ordered the rear without any ABS/TCS provisions, so I just cut the hole myself with a holesaw. If you used 4 channel backing plates, the holes would already be there.
Awesome! Thanks so much! That makes perfect sense. Yes, I do have ABS/TCS.

It was smart of you (thinking ahead) to cut those holes. I hate driving around with only four lug nuts tightened. These wheel studs are fragile. I still don't know what I did wrong to strip one of them. I mean I know I must have cross-threaded, but it sure didn't feel like it at the time. Thanks again.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I stripped a couple factory studs when I had my 10-bolt, so I learned the value of having those holes available for stud replacement back then.

I'm kinda disappointed in myself for leaving the Strange-supplied studs as is for as long as I have - I have yet to run a sticky tire though, so that's probably what's saving them for right now. I don't trust the studs they installed though for anything track-related...that's why I have those Mark Williams/ARP studs standing by. You might have given me enough motivation to just get it done...
Old 12-28-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

I stripped a couple factory studs when I had my 10-bolt, so I learned the value of having those holes available for stud replacement back then.

I'm kinda disappointed in myself for leaving the Strange-supplied studs as is for as long as I have - I have yet to run a sticky tire though, so that's probably what's saving them for right now. I don't trust the studs they installed though for anything track-related...that's why I have those Mark Williams/ARP studs standing by. You might have given me enough motivation to just get it done...
I'm just a street car, and I damaged the stud myself, but one of these days I might upgrade just for the peace-of-mind.

I have an air wrench but I didn't think I would need it for replacing a wheel stud. Couldn't you just use a breaker bar (length of pipe) on a ratchet if you had to?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I'm just a street car, and I damaged the stud myself, but one of these days I might upgrade just for the peace-of-mind.

I have an air wrench but I didn't think I would need it for replacing a wheel stud. Couldn't you just use a breaker bar (length of pipe) on a ratchet if you had to?
You could use a breaker bar and/or a cheater pipe to do it, but you'd have to make sure the axle couldn't spin (either with the parking brake or physically keeping the yoke from spinning). The studs are in there pretty damn snug, which means they likely have some red loctite holding them in place. An impact gun would just be the easiest in my mind to keep from having to mess with all that...
Old 12-28-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

You could use a breaker bar and/or a cheater pipe to do it, but you'd have to make sure the axle couldn't spin (either with the parking brake or physically keeping the yoke from spinning). The studs are in there pretty damn snug, which means they likely have some red loctite holding them in place. An impact gun would just be the easiest in my mind to keep from having to mess with all that...
Good thinking, I'm glad I posted. Looks like I'm gonna go straight to the air wrench. I've never changed the screw-in type studs.

Mostly I'm happy to know I don't have to remove the axles.

Last question, do you think there's any chance I could have messed up the threads in the lug nut too? I installed the lug nut on the stripped threads but never really looked at it. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

There's definitely a chance the lug threads could have been damaged in the process...a quick look inside should let you know either way.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

There's definitely a chance the lug threads could have been damaged in the process...a quick look inside should let you know either way.
Damn, I don't remember where I bought those chrome lug nuts, plus I only need one. I'd buy a few of them if I could remember where I got 'em.

Would you happen to know of someone online that sells chrome lug nuts? I'll look and see if I can find a store online selling a match of what I already have. They're just chrome nuts with a flat top. Thanks again.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

I found them at Summitt. McGard chrome lug nuts. Anyway, thanks for all your help! Much appreciated!

Old 12-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

I've also ordered from Thunder Racing, but honestly, I'd just take one with me to a local auto parts store before I tried ordering something online...12mm x 1.50 lug nuts shouldn't be too hard to find.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

I've also ordered from Thunder Racing, but honestly, I'd just take one with me to a local auto parts store before I tried ordering something online...12mm x 1.50 lug nuts shouldn't be too hard to find.
I'm too lazy to go to a brick and mortar store lol, plus it was only $9.95 for 4 of them at Summitt.

Thanks Steve! Nice talking to you too.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...ange-12-a.html
Old 01-03-2012, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

I shouldn't have to remove the axle. There's a stud replacement trick with 10-bolts where you remove the ABS sensor and access the stud from behind the backing plate through the hole where the sensor is installed. I haven't actually tried this with a Strange 12-bolt, but why wouldn't it work out? It defintely works with the stock 10-bolt:

Old 01-03-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Here's another pic:

Old 06-18-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's another pic:

Sorry to bump this old thread, but did you successfully remove a stud without having to remove the reluctor, etc.? Everything I have searched thus far shows that is a must on the Strange 12-bolt axles so I'm curious.

Discount Tire snapped mine off (right before I am about to sell it ) and gave me a ticket to bring it to their local "shop" to replace it on Discount's dime. If it's this difficult, I don't want their "shop" to turn my axle into FUBAR and everyone pointing the finger elsewhere meanwhile I'm stuck with the damaged part and a car I won't sell. I would almost rather do it myself just to make sure its done right and the new owner doesn't have any headaches.

Either way, let me know what you found if you attempted it.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

The reluctor blocks the bolt head for the Strange screw in studs. It cannot be done without pulling the axle.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
The reluctor blocks the bolt head for the Strange screw in studs. It cannot be done without pulling the axle.
You brought this thread back from the dead, and I'm glad you did because you're absolutely right.

What I ended up doing was to purchase a split thread chaser like this (from Murray Tool Supply):

It worked out great and I was able to avoid removing the axle. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Strange 12-bolt wheel stud replacement