Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Noob needs some quick rear end help

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noob needs some quick rear end help

Ok so I bought a good used differential with 3.23 gears 4 channel from the classifieds here in ls1tech, I have a 2001 z28 that I want to swap it into which has 2.73 gears, Im going to swap the whole rear end, just wondering how hard will it be?? Any precautions I should take?

I also want to freshen up the rearend, what should I do before I install it??

Thanks
Old 12-27-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depends how much you want to do.

I'd AT LEAST put a new cover seal and new diff fluid in it, scrape off any grime n rust, clean it up and give it some paint, move your known good brakes over to it, get new brake lines on it.

Are you sure it's not an open diff? Reason I ask a lot of 3.23s came on v6 cars and could be open diff rearends. I have a gu5 3.23 rearend under my parts car, but I haven't been in it. It spun a tire recently (just one..) so chances are good.

if yours does have a limited slip you don't have anything to worry about there, but.. just check it for leaks, make sure your front seal is good. If you're savy with this kinda thing you could probably put new bearings in it, but I think they gotta be pressed in? depends how much life you want outta this thing I guess.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

as much life as possible but if I put new bearing I guess its a little harder task no since I have to remove the axles I believe??? Also was planing on changing the oil and gasket but what kind of oil???
Old 12-27-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

diff fluid. I'm not sure a certain brand, someone else can probably chime in there.
Yea, you gotta pull the axles to get the bearings out, and you gotta have a puller or a LOT of patience to get em out, if they work like the old 12 bolts that is. I haven't been inside a 10 bolt yet. I don't think you'll have a bearing failure without knowing it. so it's probably not REQUIRED.. it's just easier to do when the rearend is in the bed of your truck than when it's rolling down the road. plus if the bearings go bad you may need axles.. BUT.. your 2.73 axles will work as spares there so no worries.

I think new fluid and seal, clean it up, it should be good to go if it's limited slip already.

I was kinda thinking about pulling the LSD out of my 2.73 and dropping it in my 3.23, but no idea how feasible it'd be.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i see, well ill just clean it up and everything and inspect for any metal shavings, also, i guess any brand of oil right? as long as its diff oil I should be good
Old 12-29-2011, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

any guides on how to do this? any pictures ect?? what should I check when I remove it? what else should I look for? how many quarts of oil does it use?? all help would be appreciated
Old 01-07-2012, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

Bump for ya
Old 08-20-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
depends how much you want to do.

I'd AT LEAST put a new cover seal and new diff fluid in it, scrape off any grime n rust, clean it up and give it some paint, move your known good brakes over to it, get new brake lines on it.

Are you sure it's not an open diff? Reason I ask a lot of 3.23s came on v6 cars and could be open diff rearends. I have a gu5 3.23 rearend under my parts car, but I haven't been in it. It spun a tire recently (just one..) so chances are good.

if yours does have a limited slip you don't have anything to worry about there, but.. just check it for leaks, make sure your front seal is good. If you're savy with this kinda thing you could probably put new bearings in it, but I think they gotta be pressed in? depends how much life you want outta this thing I guess.

Sorry to revive this thread, of course If I posted a new one I would get

But most v6 car's came with a 3.08 gear not a 3.23. Some came I believe with 3.42 "RS?"

having said as much, I have 3.08 in my V6, with ASR. I want a 3.23, it's not a big difference but it will help to do with it what I want. Any suggestions on gear sets anyone? And I would like to keep the ASR if possible...

Last edited by baalic; 08-20-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Misquote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

On that note, perhaps a 3:42 gear rather then a 3.23..

Quick Reply: Noob needs some quick rear end help