Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

I am done with my 9 inch...10 bolt going back in

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al
You're right. Pinion preload and carrier preload are very important. For what you're going through you could buy a set up nodular case and be money ahead.

Al 95 Z28
I'll never be ahead on this ****** thing. Im upside down on it deep. I ran it for a while used. bolts backed out of ring gear, broke nodular case, ruined carrier. bought whole new aluminum third member with yukon gears. Yukon gears ate themselves to pieces after PROPER break in period. randy's refused to warranty them. put in new bearings and richmonds at a local shop. howls like a banshee.
you can see why im hesitant to do even anything because its pretty much a lost cause already.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99_Z_155
I'll never be ahead on this ****** thing. Im upside down on it deep. I ran it for a while used. bolts backed out of ring gear, broke nodular case, ruined carrier. bought whole new aluminum third member with yukon gears. Yukon gears ate themselves to pieces after PROPER break in period. randy's refused to warranty them. put in new bearings and richmonds at a local shop. howls like a banshee.
you can see why im hesitant to do even anything because its pretty much a lost cause already.
Wow, what carrier are you running? Make sure your axles are not hitting the pin inside your posi, if that is what you have. Mine were and it caused it to eat ring and pinions. As far as the bolts backing out, I could see how that would happen. The ring gear holes in my trac lock are way bigger than the diamter of the acctual bolt, all kinds of slop. At least the 10 bolt ring gear bolts fit the holes in the carrier. I even checked an old Ford carrier that came out of the junk yard and it was the same way. One of the many times I tore it down I could tell the ring gear had spun a little on the carrier becasue the bolt holes were so big.

I know one thing after all I have been through, I would like to take a ride in someones car that says they have a quiet 9 inch in an F body. I just find it hard to believe.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

The 9" Ford is without any doubt the most used rear axle in drag racing. They are in everything from Toyota's to dragsters. They're in many many street rigs. Not to mention the millions and millions of stock Fords that had them. But according to you guys they are no good. You can't make that point because it's not true. Like I said before, find a real shop and let them look at the whole problem. You may be fighting a bent housing or some other anomaly. I understand how frustrating this is for you and why you may want to go to a 12 bolt or Dana but believe me the 9" is the easiest, most supported rear axle out there. If you would live through a ring gear problem in a Dana you would know what I'm talking about.

Al 95 Z28 w/S60 (Thanks again Carl.) I did it because it was the easiest way out of a blown 10 bolt. Yes I could of used a 9" but I just wanted to bolt it in and go. The S60 is plug and play, or at least was in my 95. Took one afternoon to swap it out and have the drive shaft modified at a local shop. My only unexpected item was the lug bolts were 1/2" and the stockers are 12 MM. My UMI torque arm bolted right up, and so did the LCA's, sway bar, panhard rod and brakes. Easy peasy lemon squeezy
Old 01-28-2012, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

The 9" Ford is without any doubt the most used rear axle in drag racing. They are in everything from Toyota's to dragsters. They're in many many street rigs. Not to mention the millions and millions of stock Fords that had them. But according to you guys they are no good. You can't make that point because it's not true. Like I said before, find a real shop and let them look at the whole problem. You may be fighting a bent housing or some other anomaly. I understand how frustrating this is for you and why you may want to go to a 12 bolt or Dana but believe me the 9" is the easiest, most supported rear axle out there. If you would live through a ring gear problem in a Dana you would know what I'm talking about.

Al 95 Z28 w/S60 (Thanks again Carl.) I did it because it was the easiest way out of a blown 10 bolt. Yes I could of used a 9" but I just wanted to bolt it in and go. The S60 is plug and play, or at least was in my 95. Took one afternoon to swap it out and have the drive shaft modified at a local shop. My only unexpected item was the lug bolts were 1/2" and the stockers are 12 MM. My UMI torque arm bolted right up, and so did the LCA's, sway bar, panhard rod and brakes. Easy peasy lemon squeezy
I know the history of the 9 inch, thats why I built one. I am just pissed at mine not the rear end as a whole. I understand there are plenty of guys out there that love their 9 inch as well. I also understand that these things can be dead perfect in every aspect and still make awful gear noise. I am sure that the original Ford Ring and Pinions, didnt make any noise either, but most of the aftermarket ones do. The other thing is that the F body is probably the worst car you could put any rear in that makes noise because of the torque arm and the overall design of the car. Like I said as discouraged as I am, I still have mine and may give it another shot yet. Here is an article of a guy that built on with the Motive Blue Box Street gear in an old Mustang, and he says it was quiet.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-h...-a-ford-9-inch
Old 02-02-2012, 08:21 AM
TECH Resident

We shall see what happens..

Old 02-03-2012, 02:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Wow, what carrier are you running? Make sure your axles are not hitting the pin inside your posi, if that is what you have. Mine were and it caused it to eat ring and pinions. As far as the bolts backing out, I could see how that would happen. The ring gear holes in my trac lock are way bigger than the diamter of the acctual bolt, all kinds of slop. At least the 10 bolt ring gear bolts fit the holes in the carrier. I even checked an old Ford carrier that came out of the junk yard and it was the same way. One of the many times I tore it down I could tell the ring gear had spun a little on the carrier becasue the bolt holes were so big.

I know one thing after all I have been through, I would like to take a ride in someones car that says they have a quiet 9 inch in an F body. I just find it hard to believe.
Its built by yukon, as is the third member. idk if the axles are touching or not. I did measure the distance from the pins to the seat of the bearing where the shaft enters the tube. the measurement says they shouldnt be touching, but then again ive been wrong before. idk whats causing it, but ive lost hope for a quiet 9". its on strike 3 right now. I think ill be checking it out this spring.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
We shall see what happens..

Memories, I had a 69 375 HP 396 with factory chambered exhaust.

One day it had a miss, stupid me went behind and felt the pipes, you guessed it, they cross My 69 427 Vette had them under the side pipe covers.

Al 95 Z28
Old 02-04-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Memories, I had a 69 375 HP 396 with factory chambered exhaust.

One day it had a miss, stupid me went behind and felt the pipes, you guessed it, they cross My 69 427 Vette had them under the side pipe covers.

Al 95 Z28
I hope to fire it up today and see how she sounds
Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99_Z_155
Its built by yukon, as is the third member. idk if the axles are touching or not. I did measure the distance from the pins to the seat of the bearing where the shaft enters the tube. the measurement says they shouldnt be touching, but then again ive been wrong before. idk whats causing it, but ive lost hope for a quiet 9". its on strike 3 right now. I think ill be checking it out this spring.
Make sure you are clipping your tape measure on the side gear in the posi and not pushing it all the way in to the pin. Look for witness marks on the end of your axles.

Quick Reply: I am done with my 9 inch...10 bolt going back in