Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Narrowing 12-bolt rear, issues, look at pic

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Narrowing 12-bolt rear, issues, look at pic

check this pic out...could be my rare KTRE 12 bolt but would like to think all the designs are similar. I've heard of problems narrowing past 2" with the e-brake setup but haven't heard of this. I've got 1.72" at the bleeder before it hits the mounting area on the driver side where the coil spring sits and the rear of that mount holds the panhard bar.

It looks as though i can notch it.

also, anyone know if the brake caliper bracket can be clocked say swap the calipers right to left and 180 flip the retaining bracket so the bleeders are in the appropriate up position and then the calipers would mount towards the front of the rotor rather than the rear??? ...once the 4 bolts in the axle retainler/caliper mount are out???

any help appreciated. And JMM98LS1 has just pointed out that mine being an LT1 has a lot to do with my caliper/bleeder clearance issues.

Last edited by alan2000T/A; 05-02-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:48 AM
10 Second Club

well, seems no LT1 guys have narrowed 12 bolts. I'm thinking maybe when they cut it they could clock the mounting bracket and offset the calipers from hitting the mounts....still thinking
Old 05-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

couldnt you just swap to ls1 brakes and backing plates?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:27 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 03impala9c1
couldnt you just swap to ls1 brakes and backing plates?
i think so...i think you can go from LT1 rear brakes to LS1 rear brakes w/ no issues, just need to buy the stuff. My idea however was while the rearend was out to flip the R and L brake calipers and pivot the LT1 rear brake backing plate ans see if the LT1 brakes would mount front like rear LS1s.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im sure ed miller can send you some brackets clocked correctly to clear. it doesn't take much.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 89 formula350
Im sure ed miller can send you some brackets clocked correctly to clear. it doesn't take much.
i will keep that in mind. For now, once i get the stupid bolts out, i am going to try swapping left to right backing plates as well to convert to front mount brakes keeping the lt1s.

I can't believe nobody has tried this before.

also, what a nightmare trying to get these backing plate bolts off. no ratchet will fit in there, 3/8 drive extention won't fit through the spare stud holes, only 1/4" drive and there's no 9/16 1/4" drive socket. Guess i'll have to do it the way i did years ago and get a serpentine belt tool and move it 2" at a time.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Alan. It's Jason from down in Milledgeville that bought the tires. Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner as I'm sure you got it all figured out by now. I ran into a similar issue years ago when trying to bolt up LT1 brakes to an earlier 8.5" ten bolt, but the car had staggered shocks and the calipers wouldn't clear. I ended up getting 2 brake set-ups for the same side and running them staggered like the shocks. One side to the front of the rotor, and one to the back. It all bolted up and worked just fine. What you are wanting to do will work alright too.
I wouldn't swap to LS1 brakes. I just don't like the E-brake system that uses brake shoes inside the rotor. None of the techs at the GM dealer I work at like them either compared to our LT1 brakes.
I just got my own caliper brackets in the mail today and mocked them up on the 12 bolt I have been working on. It's a 69 Impala Housing that I had f-body brackets welded on. No TQ arm provision, so I'm going to run mini-ladder bars (pete-Z style). I had a hard time finding caliper brackets because the Impala 12 bolt has a different backing plate flange than other cars. It is shared with the trucks so that is what I ended up with. "Captain Fab" makes a nice bracket set for bolting 94-96 Impala SS rotors and LT1 F-body calipers to 5 lug truck 12 bolts. I had to mount them a little different due to my camaro rotors being shallower than the Impala rotors, but it works. As soon as I get it bolted in I will finally try out those 295/45's I got from you. I'll send pics too. Sorry for the novel. LOL
Old 01-21-2012, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

ended up simply having the machine shop reclock the caliper brackets rearward 25 degrees and it clears just fine. Had to get a little creative with brake line routing but nothing but a thang.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sounds like a simple fix since they had the housing ends off anyway. You should post some pics in this thread so anyone else who runs into that will see what you did if you get a chance.

Quick Reply: Narrowing 12-bolt rear, issues, look at pic