Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

8.8 build question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, all Lincoln Town Car limos 95+ got 31 spline stuff. I know next to nothing about F-bodies, but I would bet an 03+ style rear axle has got to be close. Just get a wheel with a little less backspacing right?

I know a guy that's on a LTC limo rear end with a 28" tire leaving off a brake with 600ish WHP and a 4400lb race weight and he hasn't broken anything yet.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much shorter is a sn95 rear end compared to the stock 10 bolt?

Also, wouldn't a housing with the f-body suspension mounts welded on it be stronger than one cut with tubes inserted?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You think the guys at Burkhart, strange, currie, moser, etc use 10 bolt tubes? No, they weld their own brackets. I've been welding **** together for the past 12 years of my life, including the cage that had no problems passing tech inspection. If you don't know how to weld, then I guess 10 bolt tubes are the way to go, but I weld, and good. So I build mine how I want to, with more than enough strength.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw666
......Also, wouldn't a housing with the f-body suspension mounts welded on it be stronger than one cut with tubes inserted?
The F-body tubes are pretty small at 2 5/8". The 8.8s I've seen have 3" or 3 1/4" tubes so they would be significantly stronger & more rigid.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUTL
I'm sorry, but if you're building a rear end for yourself, then why cheap out? There's no excuse to Fab up a good looking housing, then ruin it by not getting quality axles. Figure it like this.

Explorer 8.8 rear: $100
Trak Loc Cobra rebuild kit - $100
FRP Ring and Pinion - $125
Axle Tubes - $40
Strange Engineering housing ends - $80
Strange Engineering 31 spline Alloy Axles and bearing package - $379
Torque Arm Mount - $50 from a member on here, and the strongest one I've seen.
Girdle Cover $125
All Suspension related brackets - Free from my 10 bolt.

Grand total: $950, you cant beat that.
Oh, but I did

A little time with a welder, and I have an absolutely bulletproof rear. And you're only spending an extra $80 to ditch the c-clips, so why wouldn't you? I'm sorry, but if I'm building something, I'm building it right. Cheap is good, but bad quality is not acceptable. Especially when I'm running an LQ9 with a 350 shot on the motor through a Stage 2 T56. You say pressing in some 10 bolt tubes is "repeatable", but I don't want to build mine more than once. You guys can rinse lather and repeat all you want.

And think about it, go take a peak at any of the rears that Moser, Currie, and Strange sell for the f-body. You'll notice one thing, they don't come with c-clip axles.....that isn't by mistake.....just sayin.
Its a home built junkyard axle, nothing more. If you're over $500 on the 8.8 project you missed the point of it. Just a FYI, Im running 12psi through a 6.0 on a totally stock ranger 28 spline 8.8 with Fbody tubes, stock 4th gen 28 spline axles. Spent $97 total on the axle conversion

Am I afraid of the C-clips? No. The axles themselves will fail first, even then the brakes will prevent catastrophic failure. Also, whats the #1 complaint of 9" owners, Fbody or ford... leaking axle seals. Bolt in retainer? You can keep it

You think the guys at Burkhart, strange, currie, moser, etc use 10 bolt tubes? No, they weld their own brackets. I've been welding **** together for the past 12 years of my life, including the cage that had no problems passing tech inspection. If you don't know how to weld, then I guess 10 bolt tubes are the way to go, but I weld, and good. So I build mine how I want to, with more than enough strength.
Shops that build axles will not be pulling stock axles for junkyard conversions, so thats a silly argument. 10 bolt tubes for those that cant weld? Seriously? How do you think its getting attached, superglue?

You guys seem hell-bent on going overboard on these cheap conversions, so knock yourselves out. Just dont preach to everyone that you HAVE to do it XYZ way or it wont be worth doing
Old 02-09-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, there's more than one way to do one of these conversions, that's the beauty of it. I wanted a custom width so I had to do axles anyway. And since I wanted to do a cheap brake upgrade and fixed calipers are the ticket for that, I needed to do away with C-clips. There's method to the madness and sometimes what's "worth doing" to one person seems like a waste for another. Either way these conversions are cheaper than any bolt-in complete rear I've seen. As far as leaking, I know there are some leakers out there but I'm sure there are plenty of folks using big Ford bearings that don't leak. If you are building a housing and welding ends on I think it's critical to make sure everything is lined up and true to have the best chance of having it dry.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pocket
Am I afraid of the C-clips? No. The axles themselves will fail first, even then the brakes will prevent catastrophic failure.
Of course the Axles will fail first. The C-Clips arent what cause the week spot. When a C-clip axle breaks, there's nothing to hold it in but the brakes. Now if you want to rely on that caliper to hold your axle in when you're over 100 going down the strip, be my guest. I'm bolting mine in.

Also, an extreme budget build wasn't the goal of my 8.8 build. I wanted to do something you don't see everyday, and in the local Fbody community, it hasn't been done. But when I build what is essentially a 12 bolt out of an 8.8 rear for less than a grand, I'm happy with that too. $97 bucks may work for your "home built junkyard racer", but I'm meticulous to the sense that when I build something, it looks as clean as it possibly can. For me, that means clean welds, clean new tubes, and freshly media blasted suspension brackets that'll get welded on. After done, the rear end makes it way on into the powdercoating booth as well.

But to each their own.....

Last edited by BRUTL; 02-09-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BRUTL
.....But to each their own.....

Quick Reply: 8.8 build question.