Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help Diagnosing Rear End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 02:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Diagnosing Rear End Noise

Ever since I got my car (back in 06) its had a definite noise coming from the rear. Ive finally just gotten sick of it and am trying to pinpoint it to fix. It is loud enough that you have to speak almost at a yelling level to hear over it and is even louder than my duals. It is a continuous droning noise that sounds like a bad tire or extremely loud road noise. It is not a tire because I just got new tires on all 4 corners and it didnt do anything. The noise is completely speed dependent and has no real change from being under load or accelerating/decelerating. It sounds like it is coming from the drivers side rear, but is hard to pinpoint. Tight turns in either direction change the noise, but dont necessarily make it better or worse. You cant hear it from outside the car from what I have been told.

Tomorrow I plan to jack the car up and spin the rear by hand to see if I can hear anything. I will also get videos of inside the car and out. Are there any other tests I can do to try to pinpoint the problem? Does anyone have an idea from the info given? Thanks a lot.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

The best thing to do is take a video like you said.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:46 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

I have the same problem. Thought it was the axle bearings (since it seems like I can here it more in the right rear tire area. So I changed the axle bearings last night. Axles looked fine when I took them out. Now with the new bearings it sounds...............THE SAME!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

Video will be up soon. Snowed more than I expected today and she only comes out in good weather. Ill post it up as soon as its clear out.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Exclamation Did you ever find out what the problem was??

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
Ever since I got my car (back in 06) its had a definite noise coming from the rear. Ive finally just gotten sick of it and am trying to pinpoint it to fix. It is loud enough that you have to speak almost at a yelling level to hear over it and is even louder than my duals. It is a continuous droning noise that sounds like a bad tire or extremely loud road noise. It is not a tire because I just got new tires on all 4 corners and it didnt do anything. The noise is completely speed dependent and has no real change from being under load or accelerating/decelerating. It sounds like it is coming from the drivers side rear, but is hard to pinpoint. Tight turns in either direction change the noise, but dont necessarily make it better or worse. You cant hear it from outside the car from what I have been told.

Tomorrow I plan to jack the car up and spin the rear by hand to see if I can hear anything. I will also get videos of inside the car and out. Are there any other tests I can do to try to pinpoint the problem? Does anyone have an idea from the info given? Thanks a lot.
Did you ever find out what the problem was??
Old 03-16-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Nope sorry. Completely forgot about this thread. Had a frame issues with my jeep and Ive been focusing on that. Here is a video of the noise. Its not quite as loud as the video makes it out to be, but the sound is dead on. Kind of surprised a cell phone camera did as well as this.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Bump. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-19-2012, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

Have done any work to the rear other than axle bearings? Could be the posi bearings
Old 03-19-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Nothing has been done to the rear. Its still the way it came from the factory.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z28LOVER
Have done any work to the rear other than axle bearings? Could be the posi bearings
What exactly are posi bearings?

Al 95 Z28
Old 03-20-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noises from rear ends come from two things, bearings and the ring and pinion gears. 10 bolts have some problems with the bearings on the pinion gear. Unfortunately these are the hardest things to get to and a lot of trouble to look at. Look at everything else first as they are on the way to the pinion bearings anyway. The first things to remove are the axles, look at the axle bearings. Then the carrier bearings and ring gear. If everything looks good you have to pull the pinion and look at it and its bearings. Not an easy job. What you can do is remove the back cover and look for signs of metal particles. That would indicate something is going away.

If you're inexperienced at this, have a real rear end shop do it. Not a general auto repair place.

Al 95 Z28
Old 03-20-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

My money is on a bearing somewhere with the noise changing dude to turns. Im thinking you probably have some slack in a carrier bearing
Old 03-20-2012, 01:57 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Carrier bearings definitley. Sounds just like mine did. Bearing kit only cost me $80 for timkens
Old 03-20-2012, 03:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a noise which may be similar, if not as loud. It
is "light metallic", follows road speed but not accel /
decel or lateral load.

To me it sounds sort of like the pads are dragging on
the rotor and ringing it like a champagne glass. Which
if true would probably want brake sliders greased.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My 10 bolt sounded like that, it turned out the carrier was completely cracked around the driver side axle where it meets the carrier. the only thing holding together was the bearings. I didnt even waste time with another 10 bolt and ordered a S60.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:47 AM
TECH Resident

Well I guess I will be tearing the axle apart once I get my jeep back on the road. I found this article from GMHTP about refreshing a 10 bolt.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...l/viewall.html
Everything seems pretty straight forward. I plan on doing at least the axle seals/bearings and the carrier bearings. Is there anything else I should check while I am in there?
Old 04-22-2014, 12:51 PM

I have a 2000 firebird..had it in the shop to have the rear end rebulit and it is still making a high pitched noise....shop says they dont know what else to do except to put a new or used housing...does anyone have any suggestions on what i should do? Is it worth it? Will that solve the problem?
Old 04-24-2014, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My money would be on a slightly irregular axel if the noise is constant. Carrier baring would be loaded and unloaded like the coast and drive side of the ring.

Quick Reply: Help Diagnosing Rear End Noise