Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Car bucking at steady state.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car bucking at steady state.

When cruising in 4th 5th and 6th my car wants to buck back and forth. The lunge will start and get worse until I give it some gas to get the rev's up. It's not the cam or the tune its coming from the rear end. What does this mean?
Old 02-19-2012, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

??? Come on guys
Old 02-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be because your in really low rpm. Mine dose the same thing when I'm under 2k rpm and not on the gas. What rpm dose this happen in?
Old 02-19-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its in the RPM range, my rear end has picked up a little wine. I thought it might be related to that.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my car did the same thing. i know mine is an auto but it would happen at low rpm in 3rd with the converter locked up. i fixed this by deleting lockup in third gear. maybe try to keep your rpm's a little higher while cruising.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I guess I just need to cruise in a lower gear. Anyone know what this is from?
Old 02-19-2012, 10:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

its a tuning issue, not a gears/axles issue...

typically it can be corrected by adding a little bit to the Throttle Cracker in the area of concern
or by fixing the fueling issues at that particular RPM/MAP/MAF value

multiple things can cause it...but its all in your tune
Old 02-22-2012, 12:45 PM
roy
TECH Resident

It's in the tune.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you have to tune your idle. Add some timing up to 1200 rpms; decrease the VE table idle region (I multiplied by 95%, 90%, and 85% with my small cam); add a little air to the Base Running Idle Airflow table (I added +1); maybe bump up your idle rpms.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:52 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Predator
Sounds like you have to tune your idle. Add some timing up to 1200 rpms; decrease the VE table idle region (I multiplied by 95%, 90%, and 85% with my small cam); add a little air to the Base Running Idle Airflow table (I added +1); maybe bump up your idle rpms.

I would not blindly tell somebody what to change without seeing the tune and some data logs to support it...

its more than likely Throttle cracker related...almost always is...(occasionally Throttle Follower related)
but sometimes if fueling is off it will cause the issue to be more exaggerated.

If its fueling related, it will be because you are super lean or way super rich(and I mean like 9:1 or worse rich) and it will have other issues that will be more obvious before you will notice bucking

if its bucking, its not "Idle", its while driving...so it has to be in "Driving" related tables...not "Idle" related tables.

and usually,timing doesnt cause bucking...I say usually because it can, but you have to be pretty far off for it to do that...
Old 02-22-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Unhappy

Originally Posted by soundengineer
I would not blindly tell somebody what to change without seeing the tune and some data logs to support it...

its more than likely Throttle cracker related...almost always is...(occasionally Throttle Follower related)
but sometimes if fueling is off it will cause the issue to be more exaggerated.

If its fueling related, it will be because you are super lean or way super rich(and I mean like 9:1 or worse rich) and it will have other issues that will be more obvious before you will notice bucking

if its bucking, its not "Idle", its while driving...so it has to be in "Driving" related tables...not "Idle" related tables.

and usually,timing doesnt cause bucking...I say usually because it can, but you have to be pretty far off for it to do that...
You're right, plus I didn't read his post carefully enough (the 4th, 5th, and 6th gear part). I was fixated on idle only.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to be getting in contact with another tuner to take a look at my tune. I'll keep you guys updated. I've had it tuned twice first on the dyno and a second time for driveablity.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:52 PM
8 Second Club

as a test you can sometimes drive it, and have the tuner find the rpm its bucking at, and just use the real time IAC controls in the scanner to add some air.......then you can work on just how much it is to make the bucking go away
but it only works if your IAC position is below 127 when the bucking is happening...

otherwise, you have to find it, add it in the cracker, write the file, and go driving some more to test it out

the fact that giving it more throttle makes it go away, tells me that it is airflow related and its looking for more air at that particular spot.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:25 AM
TECH Junkie

I know the exact bucking your talking about. It may not be in the tune. My old 10 bolt would buck like no.other before it finally broke. Slop in the gears due to wear can cause it. Get under the car and rotate the driveshaft back and forth to see how much play you have between gear teeth.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by soundengineer
as a test you can sometimes drive it, and have the tuner find the rpm its bucking at, and just use the real time IAC controls in the scanner to add some air.......then you can work on just how much it is to make the bucking go away
but it only works if your IAC position is below 127 when the bucking is happening...

otherwise, you have to find it, add it in the cracker, write the file, and go driving some more to test it out

the fact that giving it more throttle makes it go away, tells me that it is airflow related and its looking for more air at that particular spot.
Really thought giving it gas makes the bucking more intense until it goes up into the rpm's some more. I will drive it and make note of the RPM positions where it starts and stops.

Originally Posted by HoLLo
I know the exact bucking your talking about. It may not be in the tune. My old 10 bolt would buck like no.other before it finally broke. Slop in the gears due to wear can cause it. Get under the car and rotate the driveshaft back and forth to see how much play you have between gear teeth.
I will also do this. Like I said I have 4.10's in a M6 10-bolt. I'm thinking its just on its way out. I posted a thread asking if to much back lash will cause this because I also just a rough jolt when going from off-throttle to cruise but never got a reply after 4 days and deleted the thread.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah off throttle to cruise I would feel a slop also. Or say going down a hill without throttle and lightly pressing the throttle you would feel the gear slop. Too much backlash is most definitely the cause. Backlash is exactly that: distance a gear tooth moves before it make contact with the next tooth.

I installed a Moser 9" back in September with a center section i assembled myself. I apparently didn't do it right and started getting a ton of play in the gears. It is now getting rebuilt properly by a shop as I'm typing this.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm weighing my options now, QP housing/axle package and digging up a trac-loc center section in a junk yard or a S60 with a spool. I could also get a stock ford center section with a spool for about 600 bucks from QP. Don't know yet, leaning towards the S60.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:02 AM
TECH Junkie

I got a good deal on a Trac Loc center section on ebay and used it. It was all stock Ford parts but since I'm rebuilding the gears I decided to upgrade it all to a 1350 forged yoke, billet daytona pinion support and Moser lightweight Nodular case. Definitely cheaper to put together your own center section and toss it in a housing/axle package like I did.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a 240/244 cam in a 347... It's called cam surge.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
You have a 240/244 cam in a 347... It's called cam surge.
Listen man, I know what cam surge is and its not cam surge.

Quick Reply: Car bucking at steady state.