Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gonna take her to the track this year! Is it ready for some launches?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, thats what i thought u meant. lol. i just dont wanna buy a set of drag shocks, and the car ride like **** on the street. I do like to get this car out, clean it up, and take it out for a night on the town per say with the gf and go out to eat and stuff but on the other hand, i will race n e one on the street who wants to run... so i dont know what shocks to buy. Afcos are out of the question, they are crazy expensive.. the QA1's arent terrible... so what would you do? and how much of a difference would it make? say afcos vs konis. would it be the difference between like a 1.3x and a 1.6x or more like 1.3x to 2.0x in 60' times. thanks for the help.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

just did some reading, and i really dont want the car to feel like a sponge on the street. so if its the difference between running a 10.50 and running a 10.70...then so be it. i think ill probably just go with the Strano handling package level 7. Comes with 4/4 Konis, strano lowering springs, and strano hollow sway bars...
Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stick with what you have until you get it to track to make some shake down runs .... or have you not purchased anything yet.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

ive purchased everything except the shocks/springs/sways. thats the part im trying to figure out. Most of the people around here roll race, cuz they cant afford a rear end or they drive some dumbass SRT4 and cant get traction below 50mph :eyeroll:, so if they ask me to race now, ill suggest a dig race since i can launch the car hard without breaking the rear. im going to try out these tires also...

http://www.lethalperformance.com/07-...radial-p-21203
Old 02-27-2012, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by allout06
ive purchased everything except the shocks/springs/sways. thats the part im trying to figure out. Most of the people around here roll race, cuz they cant afford a rear end or they drive some dumbass SRT4 and cant get traction below 50mph :eyeroll:, so if they ask me to race now, ill suggest a dig race since i can launch the car hard without breaking the rear. im going to try out these tires also...

http://www.lethalperformance.com/07-...radial-p-21203
Those may be fine tires for roll racing or even an automatic, but I don't think they will work well at all for a good 60' in an M6 ... a 4.5" sidewall and a radial will not give the cushion necessary for an M6.

Also, I re-read your suspension parts. Are your LCA's, PHBR & T/A all rod-ended? That is the way I went which is the most bind-free setup you can run and is perfect for drag racing, but not so great for comfort and quiet on the street .... they are harsh, bumpy and noisy. I would suggest you wait on your springs, shocks and sway, retain the stock ones and get some runs in to see how much improvement you want. I think you will be hitting the line between a street driven car you like and a drag car that will see some street use. My car is setup for the latter .... a drag car that sees some very local street use, but I am not a street racer in any way .... I have too much to lose if I get caught or worse, hurt someone.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Well the tires i posted will be street use only. Ill have a set of slicks for the track. My nt01s hook pretty well when the weather is decent. i know those are really small sidewalls but I don't have many choices when it comes to tires for an 18" wheel.

Im.not sure what ends are on the suspension components... Id have to call and ask. Whatever the standard end is on their adjustable components...

I wish i could wait to make some passes. I just want to install everything at one time and i don't want lay twice for lift time. Im seeing people run pretty good times with koni shocks... I don't think it'll have a problem running 10.6x and that's fine with me.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, thats what i thought u meant. lol. i just dont wanna buy a set of drag shocks, and the car ride like **** on the street. I do like to get this car out, clean it up, and take it out for a night on the town per say with the gf and go out to eat and stuff but on the other hand, i will race n e one on the street who wants to run... so i dont know what shocks to buy. Afcos are out of the question, they are crazy expensive.. the QA1's arent terrible... so what would you do? and how much of a difference would it make? say afcos vs konis. would it be the difference between like a 1.3x and a 1.6x or more like 1.3x to 2.0x in 60' times. thanks for the help.
Let me put it to you this way transam69230 took out a honda s2k making 600rwhp from a dig when his car was making 430rwhp with a h/c 346! The difference was having suspension that works for racing and having suspension that doesn't work! Had the s2k been setup correctly to drag race there would have been no chance he would have murdered it like he did! The honda had a weight and hp advantage but couldn't 60' so it was game over for him! If you run koni's be prepared to be disappointed! They don't make a shock that is all around for everything so you need to decide what you can and can't tolerate!
Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 AM
TECH Addict

I wish i knew someone with drag shocks so i could ride in it... Would drag shocks make the same difference on the street? I've just heard drag shocks ride like ****. If i considered the QA1's, which should i get? Its mainly a street car that'll see the track maybe 2-3 times a year.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2002camaroSS
Let me put it to you this way transam69230 took out a honda s2k making 600rwhp from a dig when his car was making 430rwhp with a h/c 346! The difference was having suspension that works for racing and having suspension that doesn't work! Had the s2k been setup correctly to drag race there would have been no chance he would have murdered it like he did! The honda had a weight and hp advantage but couldn't 60' so it was game over for him! If you run koni's be prepared to be disappointed! They don't make a shock that is all around for everything so you need to decide what you can and can't tolerate!
OP ... "2002camaroSS" is right. Suspension makes a huge difference. I finally got some shakedown runs in, but on the stock shocks and springs. The results ...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...l#post16056527
Old 03-08-2012, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

How about these? They are single adjustable but u can go from street to strip

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=4463
Old 03-08-2012, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

How about these? They are single adjustable but u can go from street to strip

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=4463
Old 03-08-2012, 07:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

You can use single adjustable shocks in the rear but for the front I would go with double adjustable shocks. Single adjustable shocks in the front will allow the front to quickly lift, but they won't prevent the front from quickly dropping back down, which unloads the rear tires. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 03-08-2012, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Ok cool bob. That's what i was thinking too. Are the QA1'S a good choice?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Ok cool bob. That's what i was thinking too. Are the QA1'S a good choice?
I used the Qa1's on my Camaro, and I had good results with them. Some people prefer Strange and some of the other brands, everyone has their own favorites. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 03-08-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

I just want something that isn't going to break the bank...
Old 03-09-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Decided to go with strange double adjustable front coil-overs, and strange single adjustable coil-overs in the rear
Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Decided to go with strange double adjustable front coil-overs, and strange single adjustable coil-overs in the rear
Rear coilovers? I thought about these as well at one time, but I have not seen many of these setups on a 4th gen fbody. There is a sponser here that has a bottom shock mount that requires two bolts to the axle tube mount that you may want to consider if you go this route. I will probably go double adjustable, bolt-in on the rear too for about the same money as a single adjustable coilover setup.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Not to throw this thing into complete disarray for you, but this really highlights the difference between the gears section and the suspension section, and straight line only racers, and everybody else.

You have a guy on here telling you you need drag shocks, because you won't cut a good 60' foot time........FOR 10% OF YOUR CARS USE!

The only things I agreed with are you have to decide what's most important to you, and suspension has a big impact.

You can't use a good ride/handling shock because you won't get good weight transfer for a tiny percentage of your driving. Is that what I'm reading here? Are you racing for money?
Old 03-09-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Well when i say 90% street car i mean that 90% of the races will be on the street. I know some people don't agree with street racing, but our closest 1/4 mile is almost 2 hours away. We take it outside of town in a safe area though, we don't rip down city streets. There are basically 0 curvy roads around here, flat land with cornfield and 4-way intersections.... I spoke with Eric at MWC today, and i told him i wanted something that i could adjust the ride height out back for when Im running my 18" street wheels with 315's and then turn around and adjust them again for when i put a 28" slick on for the occasional track day. He suggested the f/r strange coil overs. Does that clear some things up?
Old 03-09-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
Rear coilovers? I thought about these as well at one time, but I have not seen many of these setups on a 4th gen fbody. There is a sponser here that has a bottom shock mount that requires two bolts to the axle tube mount that you may want to consider if you go this route. I will probably go double adjustable, bolt-in on the rear too for about the same money as a single adjustable coilover setup.
He hasn't built the rear yet, its still about 3 weeks out until he starts on it so whatever needs to be done i have enough time to make changes. Its already paid for, just haven't paid for the shocks yet. He quoted me $620 frt DA coil overs, and $420 rear SA coil overs, shipped with springs... So $1040 total.