Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Issue fitting UMI torque arm to Moser 12bolt. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue fitting UMI torque arm to Moser 12bolt. Help!

After installing my 12bolt, I noticed a thumping sound coming from the rear. After inspecting the installation, I found the torque arm is too far to the left and is coming in contact with the inside of the driveshaft tunnel. I'm using the outside 2 bolts on the torque arm as I would have to cut about 3/4" off the clamshell to use the other holes. I remember a write up in either GM high tech or hot rod mag about having to cut the clamshell. Is this something I'm needing to do. This is on a 2000 z28.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

TTT por favor
Old 04-02-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

hammer time.......................

is your rear end dead center with your panhard bar?
Old 04-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Yes it is, I currently have C5 magnesium wheels on the car which required me to precisely center the rear due to the offset of the rims. I started to ponder and though since the pumpkin is larger on the 12 bolt, it would push the torque arm furthur away using the outside holes. Also i noticed there is alot more room between the clamshell and the drive shaft on the 12bolt that there was with the 10 which I would figure to be the opposite. Ive almost convinced myself that I am going to have to modify the clamshell so I can use the inner bolt holes but wish to hear from someone who has done this as well. I can't be the only person to have run into this problem.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

You need to cut the mount for the Moser. There are 4 holes top and bottom. You only need the 2 closest to the arm. That will move it towards the centre of the tunnel. You can kind of see what I mean in this picture. I sold it last fall, but you should get the idea. I had a Moser before my MWC. It is not a UMI arm shown, but they mostly have the same issues. I think Sphon sells specific ones for different diffs with his.

Hope it helps.

The best pics I have of it. I cut just enough off, so there are some holes cut in half.

A picture of a regular bracket. Two of the holes need to be cut off. I used a sawsall and a grinder.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info. Glad I'm not the only one having to do this. Didn't want to have to but another torque arm.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

As the rear ends on these cars get wider and larger the further they will push the torque arm towards the tunnel. The inner set of holes will move the arm inward but the outer holes need trimmed off first.

I also recommend making sure the rear end is centered under the car, if it is not an adjustable panhard bar will allow you to move the rear end away from the tunnel and gain some clearance.

If the car is lowered this issue is worse as well.

I hope that helps!
Ryan

Quick Reply: Issue fitting UMI torque arm to Moser 12bolt. Help!