Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

8.8 how to... now with pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 8.8 how to... now with pics!!!

I done the math on this and hope to get it finished up or at least most the way done this weekend.

Where do i start?

Find a 8.8 rearend. Mine came from a ranger that had 3:73 gears and a truetrac(ford posi)

Got a 8.8 now what?

Take it apart leaving the pinion in. First remove the ten bolts holding the cover in place and drain the fluid. Then locate the 8mm retaining bolt for the center pin. Remove pin. Shove axles all the way in and remove the c clips, slide the axles out and discard. To make mine lighter to maneuver I took a torch and cut the ends off with the brake drums.
Done, now what am I supposed to do with my mangled hunk of a rearend.
Either remove your 10 bolt or buy another one.

Ok? It's out...

Remove the cover drain the oil locate 8mm retaining bolt and slide out the pin, remove axles and save them.
Slide a tape measure all the way through and measure tip to tip. 61 7/8 is what I came up with.
Keep the tape in. Look through the hole for the center pin and find the center of the hole. What's your measurement? I came up with roughly 30 15/16

My head hurts! Should I give up and buy a prefab?

No! Take a level and get your rearend level from front to back by using the cover plate opening. Use an angle finder to measure your rearend geometry.
Spring perches are 6* angled to the rear. And the brake plates are ~19-20* angled toward the back. On the ten bolt its 25" between the brake line clips and 16 3/8 distance across the 8.8 center section which gives me 4.315 on each side to play with, but since we want to weld them on let's do 3.315 overlap with the tubes.

Time for a beer?

No! Quit being a baby your almost done with highschool math. Cut the axle tubes right at the pumpkin. (on the 10 bolt)
Take a chopsaw and cut the 8.8 axle tubes 4 inches from the centersection. Deburr. And test the 10 bolt axle tubes. If they are too large you will need a sleeve made. Or if too large put on a lathe to where they fit but are snug.insert tape measure down the tube to the center of the center pin measuring to 30 15/16.
Level the rearend housing with the earth. Then rotate the tubes to 6* on the spring perches and make one tiny tack weld to hold it and same for the other side. Test fit the axles and make sure it works. If it does then weld fully doing 1/2 beads on opposing sides so as not to warp the tubes.
Reinstall cover and rearend.

I'm sure I will run into more things to add but this is how I done/in the middle of doing my 8.8 bastard rearend and really hope it helps other people.

Last edited by 97badass; 05-07-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:21 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 97badass
I done the math on this and hope to get it finished up or at least most the way done this weekend....

Where do i start?

Find a 8.8 rearend. Mine came from a ranger that had 3:73 gears and a truetrac(ford posi)

Got a 8.8 now what?

Take it apart leaving the pinion in. First remove the ten bolts holding the cover in place and drain the fluid. Then locate the 8mm retaining bolt for the center pin. Remove pin. Shove axles all the way in and remove the c clips, slide the axles out and discard. To make mine lighter to maneuver I took a torch and cut the ends off with the brake drums.

Done. Now what am I supposed to do with my mangled hunk of a rearend?

Either remove your 10 bolt or buy another one.

Ok? 10 bolts is out...

Remove the cover drain the oil locate 8mm retaining bolt and slide out the pin, remove axles and save them.
Slide a tape measure all the way through and measure tip to tip. 61 7/8 is what I came up with.
Keep the tape in. Look through the hole for the center pin and find the center of the hole. What's your measurement? I came up with roughly 30 15/16....

My head hurts! Should I give up and buy a prefab?

No! Take a level and get your rearend level from front to back by using the cover plate opening. Use an angle finder to measure your rearend geometry.

Spring perches are 6* angled to the rear. And the brake plates are ~19-20* angled toward the back. On the ten bolt its 25" between the brake line clips and 16 3/8 distance across the 8.8 center section which gives me 4.315 on each side to play with, but since we want to weld them on let's do 3.315 overlap with the tubes.

Time for a beer?

No! Quit being a baby your almost done with highschool math. Cut the axle tubes right at the pumpkin. (on the 10 bolt)

Take a chopsaw and cut the 8.8 axle tubes 4 inches from the centersection. Deburr. And test the 10 bolt axle tubes. If they are too large you will need a sleeve made. Or if too large put on a lathe to where they fit but are snug.insert tape measure down the tube to the center of the center pin measuring to 30 15/16.

Level the rearend housing with the earth. Then rotate the tubes to 6* on the spring perches and make one tiny tack weld to hold it and same for the other side. Test fit the axles and make sure it works. If it does then weld fully doing 1/2 beads on opposing sides so as not to warp the tubes.
Reinstall cover and rearend.

I'm sure I will run into more things to add but this is how I done/in the middle of doing my 8.8 bastard rearend and really hope it helps other people.
It helps me! Subbing for more updates as well. There's TONS of Rangers in the yards around here. Good info thus far.

Hope you don't mind the way I spaced and bolded your original post......
Old 04-20-2012, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dont mind at all, its hard to do it in proper format, falling asleep and on a phone lol. I will get pics taken Saturday. From what I can tell my ten bolt tubes will slide right in. I can verify with the calipers tonight but I have a bowling thing for big brothers big sisters tonight. So Saturday is the day for the fun.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

Excellent work man! I am searching for a 8.8 rear myself now, and this thread is something i needed. Is there any particular year ranger rearend to look for? And thanks for posting so much detail keep it up!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not even sure what year mine came from, my buddy gave it to me for free. I just did a rough check on the axle tubes and I think I am going to be forced to have my ten bolt tubes put on a lathe. I need to Deburr the 8.8 to get a proper measurement.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:11 PM
11 Second Club

Are you gonna do a short ladder bar set up or build a mount for the torque arm? I have a spare 10 bolt and have been itching to find a 8.8 and start this
Old 04-20-2012, 04:11 PM
The Scammer Hammer

That short ladder bar set-up sounds pretty cool... details?
Old 04-20-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's basically a mini control arm from the lower control arm to the top of the rear axle, I will cover it in detail as well tomorrow
Old 04-20-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
That short ladder bar set-up sounds pretty cool... details?
8.8 with mini ladder bars
Old 04-21-2012, 06:45 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Wow. That's pretty neat, actually. Thanks for posting that.

Any pro's or con's with a ladder bar set-up vs a torque arm? Doesn't exactly look street friendly.... Maybe I'm wrong. Just looks like it doesn't give the rear much up and down travel.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hiltsy856 has an AWSOME torque arm mount for the 8.8. Have you thought of using it? Instead of the ladder bar set up?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would need a chassis mount torque arm for this plus its more of a hassle. If I don't like it then I can always take it off. Updates soon I've been checking clearances on the axle tubes to see how close I am and it about .020 difference.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Forgot I had a wedding to attend today, so I will finish it up tomorrow.I just need to fit the tubes in and weld them up.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mini bar set up sucks.... car rides like crap, ruins the instant center!!!!!!!!! Feels like an old mopar launching...Save yourself a ton of grief and use the tq arm .........
Old 04-22-2012, 05:11 PM
The Scammer Hammer

I'm a street car so it'll have to be a full length anyways. Def doing the relocation kit though.

Why the HELL hasn't someone marketed these yet? I just don't get it.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I'm a street car so it'll have to be a full length anyways. Def doing the relocation kit though.

Why the HELL hasn't someone marketed these yet? I just don't get it.
That's what I'm curious of too...don't want/need to spend the cash on a 9" or 12bolt, 8.8 would be good for my needs, but don't have fab skills or equipment.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I had the cash I'd start doing them for other people... It takes me about 2 full days to do one...
Old 04-22-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much would/did it cost you to fab up?
Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

About 5-600 just for the 2 rearends plus 2 days of labor.it would be around 1000 bucks for the rearend minus a torque arm bracket .
Old 04-22-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Pm hiltsy855 about a torque arm mount. You will not be disappointed. It's the best one I've seen, and it's vey simple too. It would be a great addition to a great write up on this very popular subject.

Quick Reply: 8.8 how to... now with pics!!!