Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10bolt wheel bearings - help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 10bolt wheel bearings - help please

I have now tried two different brands of wheel bearings (auto extra and SKF), the first of which has an inner and outer seal on a longer race and the latter has just an inner o-ring and presumably also uses a seperate outer seal like the OE bearing.

After ruining one having to pull it out and not realizing my puller was crooked I was able to drive in the auto extra. . .but I am worried that the inner seal, which wraps the axle, will actually keep diff fluid from getting to the bearing.

The SKF bearing refuses to go in. I have deburred both the lip of the bearing and the lips inside the axle tube. I basically worked all day on it and got nowhere. I am so ready to shitcan this thing, does anyone know about these bearings. Would I maybe have better luck just getting a bearing that looks more like the OE without the additional seals integrated into the race? I can post pics tonight if needed.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I would get one that is like OE and lubed by the gear oil inside the housing.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing your using a repair bearing as the shaft is damaged. best bet is to find a used good axle or pop for some cheap ones and use the regular bearing.

There are tons of post about using the repair bearings and non off them have good result. good luck getting the axle in enough to get the c clip to seat.

Make it easy on yourself and just get an axle.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Well if I am using a "repair bearing" I'd have no idea about it. I ordered a master rebuild kit for the rear and this is what they sent me + lithium grease not paint. . .and I am definitely not cool with these parts. I have beat these things with two different seal drivers, an assortment of hammers, and two different die grinders. I am this close to buying a fab 9 instead of food this month. You guys are confirming my suspicions. . .I've never had parts on anything fit so poorly. I will post some pics so folks know what NOT to buy, but basically if the race contains one or more seals you should walk away, quickly.

OE (looking) it shall be.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I've used Ratech rebuild kits a ton of times. Everything was perfect each time. What brand kit did you order?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry for not responding, wasn't sure of the brand and forgot to check. The kit is National, all Summit had at the time. Still plan to post the **** bearing pics this weekend.

Im sure no one cares but I just cut my losses and ordered a real rear, MWC fab 9...shut down by a wheel bearing = big fail. It was consuming way too much time and energy compared to everything else I'm doing.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
I am this close to buying a fab 9 instead of food this month..
Can't live more than a month on just water, bro.

Actually, the MWC rear takes 2 months to get to you...good luck..