Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How much power will differential brace handle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 05:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How much power will differential brace handle?

I am planning on getting around 500Hp out of the engine mods I am going to do.
When it comes the rear end I would like to install a nice 12 bolt but that is expensive for me right now plus I have had a very credible source tell me he things that just adding on an aftermarket aluminum differential cover will strengthen what I need to handle that sort of power. What are the suggested power limitations of the 10 bolt with a cover like that?

It would be nice to save the money but I also don't want to spend the money fixing up the car only to have the rear diff not be strong enough so it broke so it could not be driven.

Anyone know of any approximate figures for this modification?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

many of us use covers but it wont save your rear if 500rwhp is going through it.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

Default limit

What is supposed to be the limit? I had asked this question of a GM engineer that helped design the LS1 which is why I thought it could sound reasonable.
I don't see any exact power guidelines on the covers and was wondering if there were any somewhere?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have an A4 or an M6?

If you have an M6 you better just save up for a rear end now (go with a 9" or S60 btw, they're stronger than a 12 bolt and wont cost any more) because a diff cover isn't gonna help you out with that power level.

If you have an A4 you'll probably still blow it up at that power level but A4's are a little more forgiving on the rear end because of the converter so it COULD last a little longer with a cover, but you would have to be lucky.

Edit: As far as a "limit" it depends on driving style. Anything between 350rwhp - 400rwhp you're asking for trouble stock. I'd get a brace then. Over 400rwhp you'll probably just want a new rear end. These cars can break a 10-bolt on stock power.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

these 10 bolts can blow at stock power levels and ive heard they can blow while going down the highway too. its really a hit or miss when it comes to 10 bolts lasting a long time
Old 06-13-2012, 07:14 AM
On The Tree

Default a4

I have an A4 but my thinking is that it may last longer but will eventually break and likely not at the best time for me. Plus I could sell the rear for at least something if it is not broken. I have been looking at Strange and Moser 12 bolts. It is just a lot of money right now but I can't imagine not wanting to actually use that power once I have it so I expect it would not last too long. He is running 11's in his car right now and I respect his opinion but I have heard of people getting lucky but that is not the same as truly handling the power reliably. I just don't see any estimates of how close I am from it breaking such as an estimate of power handling. Plus it is that much less towards the 12 bolt if I install it and it quickly breaks. In the end it will be my money being lost.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomXTC
I have an A4 but my thinking is that it may last longer but will eventually break and likely not at the best time for me. Plus I could sell the rear for at least something if it is not broken. I have been looking at Strange and Moser 12 bolts. It is just a lot of money right now but I can't imagine not wanting to actually use that power once I have it so I expect it would not last too long. He is running 11's in his car right now and I respect his opinion but I have heard of people getting lucky but that is not the same as truly handling the power reliably. I just don't see any estimates of how close I am from it breaking such as an estimate of power handling. Plus it is that much less towards the 12 bolt if I install it and it quickly breaks. In the end it will be my money being lost.
Tom,
As You have read on here the 10-bolt is a roll of the dice to say the least. The 12-bolt is a step in the right direction but the S60 is much stronger and considerably less money. If You would like to know more about the S60 let Me know.

Thanks,
Carl
Old 06-13-2012, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP
Tom,
As You have read on here the 10-bolt is a roll of the dice to say the least. The 12-bolt is a step in the right direction but the S60 is much stronger and considerably less money. If You would like to know more about the S60 let Me know.

Thanks,
Carl
Im interested in the S60. I really need to upgrade my rearend setup.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After PM'ing Carl, I'm definitely going with an S60 whenever I can afford too, probably a year off but it will be worth it.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:41 AM
On The Tree

Default Sure

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP
Tom,

Thanks,
Carl
Sure I would love to hear about it. I plan to use this car for a daily driver and perhaps some autocross type driving. IOW it won't be set up to just be a drag car.

Quick Reply: How much power will differential brace handle?