Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

tail bearing won't fit.... + the old blue vs orange motive debate

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tail bearing won't fit.... + the old blue vs orange motive debate

So i got a set of lightly used 4:10's from a buddy, (supposedly slp) for free. We went to put them in and the tail bearing will not slide over the shank. It gets on about 1/4 inch and then stops. I tried emory cloth, freezing of pinion, everything. It just won't fit. The old pinion slides right in no problem. Micrometer shows that the inside diameter of the bearing and outside diameter are identical (i'm not talking about the pressed on bearing). I even tried giving it a little tap tap tapparoo with a hammer and a socket but it ain't goin. As far as I have gotten it on the bearings sound distressed just spinning them by hand. So i'm guessing the pinion swelled or something idk.

That leads me to this, I'm going to just replace the gears unless anyone can give me some insight on the above. I'm looking at motives. I can get blue or orange box for same price. I've read all the threads. I have put about 20 k on my car since I bought it and I'm very easy on gears (stock stuff was immaculate when pulled apart by my buddy). My car is ls6 intake, cam, long tubes, cat back, and tuned by frosty frost. I'm guessing i'm somewhere close to 400 at the flywheel (mail order tune). Won't know till i get the dyno done once I'm done with this.

Anyway, I've heard orange are always noisy, blue are not always. Are oranges going to really hold up that much better? Given my mods my concern is the blue's will break since i'm close to or in the 400's. I've spent about 4 hours reading threads and I know it seems to be opinion but wondering if anyone has knowledge of both and can really give me some guidance. The car sees the track about once every 1-2 years. It is more of a dd to keep mileage off my truck.

I"m set on motives.

i'm m6 btw.

Thanks!

Last edited by rielcrazy; 11-21-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm not sure of how many 10 bolts you've worked on but every bearing in them is either a press fit or interference fit. NONE slip on.

As far as the blue vs orange debate, if you've searched a long time then I'm sure you've seen some of my responses. Go with blue if low noise is important, they've always been near dead silent for me. Orange usually give me a little whine at some point in the speed range (like 45-60 etc.)
Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Hey yeah i've read a lot of your posts your the reason I even knew there was a difference

Thank you so much for the help with the tail bearing. I have never done a rear, I'm not doing this one. I have a buddy who is a general mechanic and offered to set it up. He said he was concerned because the tail bearing pretty much slides on and off the old pinion no problem and was too tight to slide onto the new pinion. I ordered an orange box motive and the pinion was identical to the one I had(interference). So basically wasted my money in shipping and now have to return it since the one I had was fine... might post it up here for sale. anyway I let him know it was interference fit and to just give it a few whacks to get it on.

I can't thank you enough because he was driving me nuts telling me they were the wrong parts haha.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yep, the front bearing is a real pain bc it's hard to hammer them on and off (hard to get to). I would recommend to anyone, buy a complete bearing rebuild kit, BUT, don't throw out your old bearings. Use your old front and rear pinion bearing for mock up purposes. Grind the inside of them with an air grinder and carbide bit until they slip fit by hand. Use these during the entire mock up procedures. Once you have your shims correct and a nice wipe pattern, install your final assembly with your new bearings. Trust me, you'll thank me later.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

rear is all back together with the slp gears. I posted up the motives on here because they want to hit me with a restocking fee.

Hopefully they don't make any noise, this guy said that he ended up using the same size shims for the new pinion (same shims that were in mine and actually coincidentally same that were behind the pressed bearing already on the 410 gears i got from my buddy).

I'm sure with my luck they will whine and grind. Feel good to turn by hand though! fingers crossed.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good luck.

Quick Reply: tail bearing won't fit.... + the old blue vs orange motive debate