Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Broke stock TA and 12 bolt housing. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Broke stock TA and 12 bolt housing. Any suggestions?

Mind you, this happened on a strong 1-2 shift, I'm not pushing much more than stock power:

More pics at:

http://maverickwh.home.comcast.net/RedSS/12Bolt/

When the TA broke off, it broke the housing where the bolt rear bolt attached. I'm only guessing that the top is just as bad.

I talked to Moser, and they said that the housing is not covered under warranty and want $850 for a new one. Do I have any alternatives at getting it repaired?

I was looking at getting a Random Adj. TA. Do the holes in the moser go all the way through? It appears like some of the aftermarket bolts go all the way through, rather than the stock bolts which don't appear more than an inch long.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2004, 03:04 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bolts loosened up and it just beat it self to death - common problem - check them bolts often..

You may be able to get it welded by someone who knows what they are doing. Either that or buy an aftermarket torque arm and just get the bracket welded to the housing and be done with it. You could unbolt the arm from the bracket if you needed to remove it.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Ahhh - I like the idea of just welding the bracket to it. Since I already need an aftermarket TA, any good suggestions on them? I'd prefer to get one with the DS loop.

Thanks!

Scott
Old 04-20-2004, 01:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Make sure you use red loctite on the torque arm bolts that go into the housing... and check them often. Since it's a four bolt setup rather than 2 bolts that go all the way through, sometimes they can back out if you don't torque them down hard along with a good dose of loctite.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've been told that a slightly longer bolt can be used and seems to work better on the Moser setup. But, best cure is to check them often.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:18 AM
kp
8 Second Club

The main problem is the Moser bolts are too small diameter, I'm sure they do it for ease of getting all four of them lined up. Since the hole in the torque arm is a bit larger then the bolt the torque arm moves and loosens up. A couple of the bolts are tapped almost all the way through and using a loger bolt may help since thats more area for the locktite to stick to. Finding some of those thick serrated (sp) washers with the teeth that dig into the torque arm and fit tight on the bolt will help along with the longest bolt possible.

Main thing is to check it fairly regularly, if you check it a couple times and they dont loosen dont feel too confident they wont loosen up in the future, so keep checking them.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:36 AM
TECH Resident

I used red loctite and GRADE 8 bolts with locking washers. They haven't backed out yet.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I talked to Moser, and they said that the housing is not covered under warranty and want $850 for a new one.
If the housing isn't covered, what is?
Old 04-28-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kp
The bolts loosened up and it just beat it self to death - common problem - check them bolts often..

You may be able to get it welded by someone who knows what they are doing. Either that or buy an aftermarket torque arm and just get the bracket welded to the housing and be done with it. You could unbolt the arm from the bracket if you needed to remove it.
That is the best idea I have heard so far I am going to order a new bracket and have the **** welded out of it! I broke the BMR bracket across the bolt holes! BMR said " it does that on all 12bolt Moser's" But all or T/A have the same bracket even the Extreme. BMR has redigned the bracket but said "it will still brake on Moser" " check the bolts and uses locktight"!
Old 04-28-2004, 11:07 PM
Launching!

The housing not being covered is BS. WTF is that about? So they only cover the axles, Diff and gears? I run a Strange but a good friend of mine has a Moser that I put in. He has to tighten the bolts about once a month. So, I take it $850 means you have to take out the rear and send it to them?
BS!
Old 04-29-2004, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That sucks Mav. I read about this problem before I installed my 12 bolt. Seems like peoples bolts loosen up over time. I ended going with some longer grade 8 bolts / washers and used red loc-tite on mine. I then made sure got them tight as I could using my 500 ftlb impact. The top ones are a bitch to get to but with the axle dropped and no shocks, you can do it with an impact. I never had any problems with the bolts coming loose. They are a bitch to get off though if you have to do it with a wrench! I've had some good 1.8 launches on it and no problems with the Edelbrock TA. Hope you get it fixed. Sucks that Moser won't warranty it. That Ford 8.8 option just looks better and better. I pray my Eaton holds up this summer.

PS- Take some photo classes... Those pics are terrible... J/K

PSS- Oh yeah, I need my autotap back dude! Got SES lights on the ZR2 I need to figure out.

PSSS- I think I still have my stock TA if you want it.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SNAKSLYR
The housing not being covered is BS. WTF is that about? So they only cover the axles, Diff and gears? I run a Strange but a good friend of mine has a Moser that I put in. He has to tighten the bolts about once a month. So, I take it $850 means you have to take out the rear and send it to them?
BS!
Moser didn't say directly that they absolutely would not warranty it. They basically told me that I would have to send it all to them for inspection, then if they decided it was due to material defect then they would warranty it. After describing it to him, he made it sound like i had a very slim chance to having it covered under warranty. So instead of paying for shipping two ways and $850, I'll likely pick up either a Random TA or a Spohn and just weld the bracket onto the 12 bolt.