Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Another one bits the dust

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another one bits the dust

Here is a pic of my broke driver side axle. It broke right where it makes the 1st tapper. I spun a little off the line and it just broke. Probably didnt go 20 feet from the starting line.

Here is a pic of the new one that I am getting ready to install. I actually ordered this last week and broke the axle yesterday. The new one came in today.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

QP 9"? Just got mine yesterday! Lmk how the install goes!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

Yes it is a QP. I took the axles to work last night to press on the bearings and then couldnt remember which backing plate went where. Decided to double check before I messed up.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:41 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Can you please post some pics of the QP's TA mount? It seemed on their "site" the mount itself is adjustable and just confuses the hell out of me.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:39 AM
On The Tree

This is the only one I have right now. I will take some more this evening. It is adjustable although I am not sure if it is meant to be adjusted.
The only grip that I have with QP is the lack of any instructions. I am sure they would provide any help they could over the phone if I asked for it. They seem really customer focused on the phone.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Can you please post some pics of the QP's TA mount? It seemed on their "site" the mount itself is adjustable and just confuses the hell out of me.
Yes its adjustable. I was still using the stock torque arm and told them i was going to order a new umi TA. He said save ur money and get the non adjustable TA the mount is adjustable.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by abritton77
Yes it is a QP. I took the axles to work last night to press on the bearings and then couldnt remember which backing plate went where. Decided to double check before I messed up.
Can you refresh my memory? Im going to put mine together this weekend but dont remember the order of everything. Starting from the wheel flange is it backing plate, bearing, then that spacer? Where does that small washer looking one that came on the axles go? Thanks
Old 04-11-2013, 01:27 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by Fazz73jr
Yes its adjustable. I was still using the stock torque arm and told them i was going to order a new umi TA. He said save ur money and get the non adjustable TA the mount is adjustable.
Exactly what I needed to know.... Thank you sir!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Can you refresh my memory? Im going to put mine together this weekend but dont remember the order of everything. Starting from the wheel flange is it backing plate, bearing, then that spacer? Where does that small washer looking one that came on the axles go? Thanks
The bearing and the locking collar are all that came with my axles. I looked on mosers website and they reference a 1/8 shim on the instructions for 93-97 f bodys. I assume that either it is not needed on 98-02 brakes or its built into the axle or bearing. With axle standing up on the floor slide on the backing plate 1st, then the bearing with the o ring closest to the backing plate, then the locking collar.
Here is a link to the instructions from moser, but keep in mind that these are for their axle housing package. http://www.moserengineering.com/mose...using.Ends.pdf
Old 04-11-2013, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

Exactly what I needed to know.... Thank you sir!
I don't think it will be very easy to adjust pinion angle with the quick bracket once it's installed. If you think you might want to adjust it very often think about still using a adjustable TA.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by abritton77
The bearing and the locking collar are all that came with my axles. I looked on mosers website and they reference a 1/8 shim on the instructions for 93-97 f bodys. I assume that either it is not needed on 98-02 brakes or its built into the axle or bearing. With axle standing up on the floor slide on the backing plate 1st, then the bearing with the o ring closest to the backing plate, then the locking collar.
Here is a link to the instructions from moser, but keep in mind that these are for their axle housing package. http://www.moserengineering.com/mose...using.Ends.pdf
Thank you!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Did you get that thing installed? I got mine in all except the driveline which I should have tomorrow. Cant wait to take it for a drive.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

Yes but my exhaust now hits the bigger 1350 u-joint in the rear. Taking it to an exhaust shop today after work.

What did you get yours setup with? Got mine with 31 spline moser axles, Eaton trutrac, strange nodular case, and 4.11s.. debating on a PST aluminum DS, Denny's, or inland empire DS.. running the 1le DS with conversion joint for now.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Yes but my exhaust now hits the bigger 1350 u-joint in the rear. Taking it to an exhaust shop today after work.

What did you get yours setup with? Got mine with 31 spline moser axles, Eaton trutrac, strange nodular case, and 4.11s.. debating on a PST aluminum DS, Denny's, or inland empire DS.. running the 1le DS with conversion joint for now.
I got mine with the 31 spline axles and bought a rebuilt nodular 3rd member with a detroit locker and 3.89 gears. I thought hard about the gears but didnt want to go to low since I am running a th350 tranny. This thing is mostly a race car but I do drive it around some.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Finally got to take it for a spin today and am pleased. I can tell it has a locker but it sure beats the crap out of the welded spider gears that I had.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:08 PM
The Scammer Hammer

What was the total price? Ballpark.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

What was the total price? Ballpark.
Right at 2.4k shipped to my door for my setup... prices vary depending on center section options...
Old 04-25-2013, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

I got mine for 1900 total but I bought a rebuilt nodular center section from a guy on ebay that sells nascar units.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I came in around 1900-2000 on an all aluminum 9" per mosers instructions the shim is for the lt1 cars. the ls cars don't need it. just remember on the brakes the calipers go to the front and the parking brake thing goes on the bottom. plus on the backing plates it has a L and a R on them.

my specs are
moser 9" housing locally powdercoated
strange 35 spline axles
strange 35 spline spool
3.89 gears
1350 yoke
Yukon aluminum thru-bolt center section
strange big bearing forged aluminum pinion support
3.25 carrier bearings
and then I got the shims for the pinion support, pilot bearing, and ring gear bolts from quick performance.

Quick Reply: Another one bits the dust