Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

can a watts link cause a bent axle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default can a watts link cause a bent axle?

i have a MWC fab 9 narrowed with strang 35 spline axles, I drag race on bias plys but my best sixty is a 1.65 i do not think ive stressed the axles enouph to bend them however I bent one.

what I am wondering is I also have the MWC watts link setup and I notice that under extreme suspension travel that it tend to pull back in the axles since the geometry changes. I am no expert by any means and I love my setup it handles great.

Reason I am wondering is because I have removed my bumpstops and when I launch hard my car squats VERY LOW also when I hit bumps on roads and things like that I can get extreme travel in the rear end.

Could this possibly cause a bent axle? the driver side one was the bent one and the passenger slide had just a slight bit of runout so I am replacing both.

thoughts on this? this is in no way trying to say MWC equipment is bad It was all well worth the money and they even helped me out when ordering 2 new axles.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whats the distance from the bumpstop to the frame/chassis? You could be riding too close to the frame which could cause some damage.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

bump stops are removed do you mean axle to frame? the watts link is perfectly level and is in the center position the way most of them are setup up from what I have seen I am only lowered 1.2 inches with strano springs
Old 05-05-2013, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah mybad. Well you shouldnt be having that issue. You should give Eric a call and see whats wrong.

Quick Reply: can a watts link cause a bent axle?