Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

MWC is not what i thought..

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 06:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssvert99

You need me to copy the emails I sent out to customers last weekend from the hotel room at 1 and 2am...15 hours away from my shop? That's what I thought.
Really? I ordered a bumper support from you, emailing you directly. Fact of the matter is I could not get a response after the PayPal transaction and the only eta I got from you was "soon." Six weeks later it shows up.

I'm not a hard guy to deal with. I've worked in a shop in one form or another since I was 14. My issue isn't that it took six weeks to get a part you claimed to stock, I know stock runs out and things can get hectic. My issue is that while you don't have the common courtesy to give me a real eta when I ask for it. For that matter I'm ignored while you jump on here to peddle parts and services.

Your staffing issues are not the customers problem. Regardless of the timeline of the situation in this thread MWC's reputation is suffering. There are several complaints that are floating around both on the public forum and privately through messages and face to face conversations. If you need more help hire it but don't hide behind the same excuse and continue to talk more work in the door that you can't handle. It's not going to help your situation.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

Sad thing is this is an easy fix. Just like your original idea OP. It's a 9 inch. They should just send you a new center section and you send the old one back. If it fixes the problem, all good. You're happy and they get their old one back to fix and, if possible, reuse in a new unit. The guy lives in Canada and I highly doubt he drives the car during the winter so I believe him when he says he's only got a couple hundred miles on the car. I understand the warranty issues but keeping the customers happy so posts like this don't kill future customers, like it just did, is way more important than saving a little money by doing nothing. The best advertising is always word of mouth. Why, because it's free and people believe other customers experiences on top of what a shop says. A constant stream of satisfied customer comments is the most important thing a business can do to expand itself, especially in a competitive market. If you're hurting in the customer service department, like you said you are, then the best thing for ya is to do your best to satisfy disgruntled customers so it doesn't keep re-occurring. And to make the matter worse, he already paid you. It's not like you haven't gotten a payment from him yet. Hell, he even offered to buy a new center section to see if that would correct it and if it did you would re-imburse him back and get your old unit back.

But what the hell do I know about this anyways? I've just had 4 years of business courses and another 13 years in the customer service industry.

Last edited by 00MaroonZ28; 06-10-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Good for you. Nice one sided story you got here smartass.

You need me to copy the emails I sent out to customers last weekend from the hotel room at 1 and 2am...15 hours away from my shop? That's what I thought.
Way to stay classy.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol, seriously?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00MaroonZ28
Sad thing is this is an easy fix. Just like your original idea OP. It's a 9 inch. They should just send you a new center section and you send the old one back. If it fixes the problem, all good. You're happy and they get their old one back to fix and, if possible, reuse in a new unit. The guy lives in Canada and I highly doubt he drives the car during the winter so I believe him when he says he's only got a couple hundred miles on the car. I understand the warranty issues but keeping the customers happy so posts like this don't kill future customers, like it just did, is way more important than saving a little money by doing nothing. The best advertising is always word of mouth. Why, because it's free and people believe other customers experiences on top of what a shop says. A constant stream of satisfied customer comments is the most important thing a business can do to expand itself, especially in a competitive market. If you're hurting in the customer service department, like you said you are, then the best thing for ya is to do your best to satisfy disgruntled customers so it doesn't keep re-occurring. And to make the matter worse, he already paid you. It's not like you haven't gotten a payment from him yet. Hell, he even offered to buy a new center section to see if that would correct it and if it did you would re-imburse him back and get your old unit back.

But what the hell do I know about this anyways? I've just had 4 years of business courses and another 13 years in the customer service industry.

Sounds obvious. I can understand people not wanting to do extra work for free. But at the same time i spent a lot of cash on this thing only to be disappointed. Now i am stuck spending another 1000 on new set of gears and bearings and to have them remove the diff and install everything back. Labor is not cheap in my part of the country and to find someone who knows what he doing is hard. When you do, they charge you for it. When i say i don't drive the car, it is true. The car is a 1998 and it only has 30000km(aprox18650miles) on it.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah, those 9's they sell aren't cheap. Like I said, my roommate has one of their Fab 9's and he spend well over 3k.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow! I was planning on ordering everything through Midwest chassis. I'm not sure if I will anymore...
Old 06-10-2013, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow...lot of these threads popping up. I've left messages with no return calls too. I've got a 9" on order with them.

Last edited by BrntWS6; 06-10-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:53 PM
10 Second Club

I had a hell of a time even getting a price from them. When I finally did I was told 4-6 weeks even though I saw guys on here that had been waiting in the 5-6 month range.

Every thread I read about problems was responed to with nothing but excuses and some even had attacks on the customer. Not the type of shop I wanted to drop 5k with.

It was to bad really I wanted to buy a rear and some other things but I had a bad vibe about the whole thing. Needless to say my money went elsewhere.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

The folks who never respond in threads like this (as is usually the case in every situation) are the overwhelming majority who haven't had any issues. I've ordered from MWC several times for a couple cars now. Has there been delays due to material stock, etc? Yes. Have I been able to contact them when needed? Yes.

In this particular case there's a lot I don't understand. Why wait 9 months if one wants to get noisy gears looked at under a 1 year warranty? I understand the US to Canada issue, difficulty finding a local shop, 6-8 months of winter, and confusion about the warranty but I dunno.

I also don't understand the notion that everyone thinks a vendor should just send out a $2,000 pumpkin for good will. That is one large chunk of good will folks. The op offering to buy one and get refunded when his old one gets back...getting a new refund for a used pumpkin? That isn't exactly reasonable either.

I suppose my view is skewed as it isn't my gearset making noise, I do my own wrenching, and I'm in the same country as the vendor.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:09 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by champain
There is no debate about what MWC products look like, they are top notch. When they work like they should I’m sure they work fine. However, how about the emails that I never received an answer for do you still have them? Or the times when Shane said you will call me by end of day, did he ever tell you to call or you just did not care to call back? I don’t know how many people actually have the luxury to put the car somewhere while the center section is out for repair for a few weeks. You had the chance to look at the pictures I sent you but this is the first time I hear your thoughts. Maybe if you would call back or send me an email we could have discussed it further.
I did see the pics and the answer was relayed. Whether or not it got to you or correctly for that matter is beyond me, but at this point it's obviously too late. I have handled that situation now and any communication with MWC will be through me. End result is the answer is the same as it has been. There is nothing wrong with the setup and we will need the entire center section back to do any kind of work to help you out on this. You also had/have the option of a new gear set and other parts if need be to do the work in a more timely manner, but none of this is what you want to hear. I will absolutely do for you what I can within reason, but after a year it's gonna be tough.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

Something is better than nothing. Hope the issue gets resolved. MWC does have good quality products and it's rare to see an issue like this come out of their shop.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:58 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Awake455
The folks who never respond in threads like this (as is usually the case in every situation) are the overwhelming majority who haven't had any issues. I've ordered from MWC several times for a couple cars now. Has there been delays due to material stock, etc? Yes. Have I been able to contact them when needed? Yes.

In this particular case there's a lot I don't understand. Why wait 9 months if one wants to get noisy gears looked at under a 1 year warranty? I understand the US to Canada issue, difficulty finding a local shop, 6-8 months of winter, and confusion about the warranty but I dunno.

I also don't understand the notion that everyone thinks a vendor should just send out a $2,000 pumpkin for good will. That is one large chunk of good will folks. The op offering to buy one and get refunded when his old one gets back...getting a new refund for a used pumpkin? That isn't exactly reasonable either.

I suppose my view is skewed as it isn't my gearset making noise, I do my own wrenching, and I'm in the same country as the vendor.

I think awake455 has made some very good points. it pains me to read that the OP has had these issues and that it has gone on this long. I personaly dont understand how someone can have an issue and do nothing for such a long period of time. I also understand that Eric has had some customer service issues that he has taken care of so hopefully this kind of issue will evaporate moving forward. I have always had a good experience and am in awe at the quality of the parts that I have recieved from them. You may find a vender with better communication but never with a better product at a lower price!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:23 AM
TECH Regular

This was a little unnecessary and I think an apology is in order to.

You guy have to remember and if you do not know what their shop is like its only a couple guy doing all of the welding and fabrication. Unless its changed in the past few months they are a small shop supplying custom fabricated parts for a huge community. Their time is pretty stretched on trying get parts out the door, they are backed up as it is.

They tried fixing it though by hiring a guy strictly to answer phones and emails, they said that didnt work they took care of it and are trying to move forward. There isnt much they can do about it now. OP you are somewhat at fault too for waiting so long. It seems like they tried fixing your problem initially but when you never responded there isnt much they can do.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

No apology needed. I don't get butt-hurt by internet posts. Dealing with the public and customers is frustrating enough especially when they're pissed about something. I honestly don't blame him. Nice to let out what you actually want to say every so often.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by koolrayz
I think awake455 has made some very good points. it pains me to read that the OP has had these issues and that it has gone on this long. I personaly dont understand how someone can have an issue and do nothing for such a long period of time. I also understand that Eric has had some customer service issues that he has taken care of so hopefully this kind of issue will evaporate moving forward. I have always had a good experience and am in awe at the quality of the parts that I have recieved from them. You may find a vender with better communication but never with a better product at a lower price!

That is fine that you don’t understand why it would take so long for me get going on the issue. Where I live you can’t have a trans am as your only car it’s a hobby car. You want me to explain my life story send me a pm I will be glad to. But getting married over the summer and going on a 2 month honeymoon would have something to do with it. Paying so much for it would also come into play since money does not grow on trees. Moving into a home with no garage means I have nowhere to do the work. Now that means I have to pay someone to do it but I think I had spent enough money in one year (diff, wedding, traveling). Also where would you like me to leave the car when I send back the unit? Don’t assume everyone’s case is the same. That is fine they have a policy in place. Tell me that from the start when I had issues. You can try this; if it does not work you will have to send it back. I would not have wasted time I would have sent it back right away when my life was more convenient. I don’t know of any shop that is going to leave my car on their lift for 3 weeks while I wait for it to come back.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Teching In

I think I will chime in too. I ordered from MWC knowing that when you want the best, there's usually a line. Eric has been professional and polite the entire process. On many occasions he's stopped what he's doing to answer questions or deal with an issue with my order. He's gone above and beyond helping me with every aspect of my order, and yes, replied to emails at 1am when he can get to it. I do hope the issues here are resolved without much drama.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

champain, I'm about 100 miles due south of you as the geese fly I'm all to familiar with the short driving seasion My lift is American, I dunno if it would work on a metric F-body
Old 06-11-2013, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

MWC being behind and late on orders isn't news at all...they put out a good product and do their best getting it to you. I've only ordered my rear from them, but will do business with them in the future!

i had a problem with a whine when i got mine. on decel it would howl pretty loud....i shook the pinion and it was moving...i fixed it by pulling the pinion nut, and putting a shim behind the nut, and re-torquing...the backlash was set fine, the yolk was just a little shorter than the pinion, and the nut would bottom out, not keep everything tight...
Old 06-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Teching In

I did see the pics and the answer was relayed. Whether or not it got to you or correctly for that matter is beyond me, but at this point it's obviously too late. I have handled that situation now and any communication with MWC will be through me. End result is the answer is the same as it has been. There is nothing wrong with the setup and we will need the entire center section back to do any kind of work to help you out on this. You also had/have the option of a new gear set and other parts if need be to do the work in a more timely manner, but none of this is what you want to hear. I will absolutely do for you what I can within reason, but after a year it's gonna be tough.
How can you confirm there is nothing wrong with my setup? Yes you gave me the option of a new gear set and other parts all at my expense. Even when I only had it for a month. And then your buddy says I will give you a smokin deal on a set of gears for 250 when that is the going price, thats no deal.

Quick Reply: MWC is not what i thought..