Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How do I know if the rear is dying?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do I know if the rear is dying?

I daily drive a '99 Z28 M6 with approx 270K miles on it. The rear is original, although the pinion and carrier bearings have been replaced. The fluid has been changed regularly. I recently had the rear pinion seal replaced. When I picked the car up, the mechanic mentioned that I "might want to put a new gear set in there before too long". He said that he noticed a bit of a whine when he drove it.

I do notice a faint thump-thump sound from the rear, a sound that I would normally associate with a tire wear issue. There are not any screetches, no metal-on-metal whining sounds, no grinding sounds.

So, what would I hear that would indicate that the rear gears are about to die? Will there be absolutely no abnormal sounds, and then - clunk - it's gone? I'm imagining that it will sound like a bearing going bad .... a metallic, grinding sound?

I replaced the pinion gear about two years ago because I heard a faint metallic sound. I opened the cover and found a small piece of the pinion cage in the bottom of the diff. Is that the type of sound I would hear?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: How do I know if the rear is dying?