Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear axle shafts/bearing making pulsing roaring sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear axle shafts/bearing making pulsing roaring sound

I got my ls1 around 2 months ago, and have driven it a bit over 2k miles already. Since day 1 of my ownership, there has been this roaring/humming sound that comes from the back of the car, which gets faster as I accelerate. It turns into an almost even hum at around 80mph. I've learned from my mechanic that they are the axle shafts which are a bit worn.

It's been 2k miles, and to me, the sound hasn't gotten any worse at all (however, it might've subtly gotten worse and I just cant notice it).So, how long can I keep driving like this?

Also, I got a new set of 17" wheels and tires put on just yesterday (had 18's before), and ever since then, I've noticed a rear end vibration that happens at around 63-70mph. there's no vibration at lower speeds (as far as I know), and no vibrations at higher speeds in any situation.

I would think that that is just a bad wheel balancing from the sears auto center? I drive this car 40 miles a day on the highway, and it's been totally fine in terms of no vibrations until yesterday, when the wheels and new tires were put on. I can't see it being the axle's or bearings causing this, because there's no reason they should've drastically changed randomly overnight + with the timing of getting the wheels changed

Last edited by giosoccer20; 09-21-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

how does your 'mechanic' know the problem is axle bearings ?
pulsing/roaring/humming could have many culprits. I've had a pulsing/roaring sound from a bad passenger side carrier bearing.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

The inner race of the axle bearing is the axle surface, when the bearing goes bad the rollers start eating into the axle. If you have this going on I wouldn't let it go too long.
If you picked up a vib after the wheel change I'd say its the wheel balance is off.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
how does your 'mechanic' know the problem is axle bearings ?
pulsing/roaring/humming could have many culprits. I've had a pulsing/roaring sound from a bad passenger side carrier bearing.
i put an auburn diff in, so he had the entire rear end apart and saw the axle shafts. that's how he knows.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tom94TA
The inner race of the axle bearing is the axle surface, when the bearing goes bad the rollers start eating into the axle. If you have this going on I wouldn't let it go too long.
If you picked up a vib after the wheel change I'd say its the wheel balance is off.
okay cool. I had it back for a re-balance. for the short moment I had it at the 60-70mph range, i didnt notice anymore vibration. I'll know for sure when I take it back on the highway, though.

regarding the axle shafts/bearings, I'm just going to try and wait it out 1 or 2 more paychecks. hopefully everything will be cool
Old 09-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Launching!

i just wanna add something, the humming sound changes when i hit the brakes. kinda makes it less audible, or makes the pulsing aspect of the hum less substantial. still the axle shafts/bearings?
Old 09-21-2013, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by giosoccer20
i put an auburn diff in, so he had the entire rear end apart and saw the axle shafts. that's how he knows.
This was the axle from my son's Crown Vic, it made no noise yet left him stranded 450 miles from home because all the lube blew out through the seal on this side. Once there's some "slack" in the bearing, the seal goes out and the stress on that worn spot goes waaaay up when the axle rattles around on bumps. I wouldn't chance it...

Old 09-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by S10xGN
This was the axle from my son's Crown Vic, it made no noise yet left him stranded 450 miles from home because all the lube blew out through the seal on this side. Once there's some "slack" in the bearing, the seal goes out and the stress on that worn spot goes waaaay up when the axle rattles around on bumps. I wouldn't chance it...

wouldn't I notice some leaking gear oil before it getting to that stage? there's been no leaks for me so far.

Also, isn't the damage on yours the carrier bearing, not the wheel bearing?

If I had the money, I would get this taken care of no question. But since I'm tight on money, that's why I'm wondering how long I have, lol.

I'm also wondering if getting used axle shafts is a good idea or not? Are these one of those parts where it's either new or nothing?

Last edited by giosoccer20; 09-21-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd think it would leak, but you never know how these things are gonna behave. Worse case would be the axle snapping at the void and we all know what could happen there...
Old 09-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by S10xGN
I'd think it would leak, but you never know how these things are gonna behave. Worse case would be the axle snapping at the void and we all know what could happen there...
oh lord... I can't not drive this car, because I need it for work..and I need to save up some money before I get new axle shafts and bearings... S**T!!!

I'm also interested if driving with worn axle shafts can hurt the differential?

Last edited by giosoccer20; 09-21-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Pick up a used complete 10 bolt for $200 on Craigslist and be done with it.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Pick up a used complete 10 bolt for $200 on Craigslist and be done with it.
I've been thinking that, but I can't really since the auburn diff i have in there now, I know is good. had 48k miles on it.

I can't know what I'm gonna get with a "junkyard" or craigslist complete 10 bolt. I just wish my mechanic had told me about the axle shafts BEFORE reassembling the rear end when I had the auburn put in.... :/

Quick Reply: rear axle shafts/bearing making pulsing roaring sound