Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Im stumped... clunking

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BIGCHRISS197
You can have to gears reset a little deeper and it may clear it up, what's occurring is the pinion gear is rattling against the ring while there's no load on it.I understand the sound is a little disconcerting but if that is what's occuring then I wouldn't worry about it
I am going to be changing diff fluid very soon so i will take a peek while im in there and see if that is the case. Thanks!

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
I know what has happened...

His LEAD FOOT has worn down the lead side of the gears so that the trailing side is clunking around with no load.\
There may have been a bit of that happening.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

s-60, mine also. it's back lash same thing on my rearend. 6spd? I slip clutch a little to take out slack then nail it!
Old 10-21-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OP, do you have any updates?
Old 10-22-2013, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not as of yet. Been super busy with work and my kids have been out on fall break. Should have something to report this week though
Old 10-23-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Best of luck getting it figured out. I just did some checking around online and found out some pretty interesting stuff about driveline power losses.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

updates?
Old 10-29-2013, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Hey Guys! Just going to throw in my 2cents on this. Check your slip yoke first, they have a bad habit of wearing the splines and will cause a clunking sound especially when you first accelerate from a stop. Check for proper shaft length, too short of a shaft will not fit in trans enough and cause problems. I have owned 2 chevy four wheel drives and have had to replace the slip yokes due to wear, last one is 2001 with aluminum drive shaft and slip yoke was aluminum. Also check your u-joints if they are stock they will wear the needle bearings and can cause a clunk, hard to get good u-joints this day and time, they may look ok but will have enough wear to cause this problem. As far as resetting the ring and pinion as stated previously you could do alot of damage due to the wear pattern already being set, there is a fine line there. Hope these ideas might help!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2011grandsport
Hey Guys! Just going to throw in my 2cents on this. Check your slip yoke first, they have a bad habit of wearing the splines and will cause a clunking sound especially when you first accelerate from a stop. Check for proper shaft length, too short of a shaft will not fit in trans enough and cause problems. I have owned 2 chevy four wheel drives and have had to replace the slip yokes due to wear, last one is 2001 with aluminum drive shaft and slip yoke was aluminum. Also check your u-joints if they are stock they will wear the needle bearings and can cause a clunk, hard to get good u-joints this day and time, they may look ok but will have enough wear to cause this problem. As far as resetting the ring and pinion as stated previously you could do alot of damage due to the wear pattern already being set, there is a fine line there. Hope these ideas might help!
My rear has made this noise since it was brand new from Strange. Took it to one of their authorized installers, everything was replaced in the rear, and it still makes the exact same noise. Driveshaft, u-joints and all are brand new.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok guys, sorry for the long period of me not reporting anything. But all my clunking that i had been bitching about is gone now. It ended up being the transmission mount. It was a stock style rubber mount that was only 3 months old at the most. I replaced it with a prothane poly mount and viola its dead silent now. No clunking, no banging nothing. Its wonderful. So thats what fixed it for me. It may be the answer that you guys are looking for too.

Quick Reply: Im stumped... clunking