Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Im stumped... clunking

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Im stumped... clunking

Ok so here is the story.

I have had a bunch of clunking coming from the driveline that i cant seem to get isolated. The only time that its really noticeable is when im at highway speeds and i take my foot off the gas and let it coast in gear. ill get all sorts of clunking going on. Almost like its the driveshaft bouncing around.

If i really pay attention to it i can notice the same thing going on at lower speeds. Now if i put any sort of load in the drivetrain, be it applying throttle or braking, it goes away.

I have had my trans rebuilt and the driveshaft balanced with new ujoints at the same time. I have checked my LCA bushings and they look to be good. I have replaced my trans mount with a stock replacement, along with the torque arm bushing. I also have the UMI relocation kit.

I checked the rod ends on the panhard rod and between that piece and the torque arm they both have roughly 50k miles on them so i am thinking that the rod ends are most likely worn out.

Another thing that it does which i find odd, is if i shift to reverse and accelerate quickly i get a loud pop that comes from the rear, and if i go to first and do the same it pops again.

I have 4.11 rear end gears that have also been installed for roughly 50k miles. They whine a little but it is very quiet.

So i am stumped as to what this could be. It feels and sounds like something is loose back there and is just flopping around but everything is tight. Sorry i vomited into the box, but i have been searching for similar setups with similar issues and not coming up with much.

Thanks guys.

-Jon
Old 10-14-2013, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump for the evening
Old 10-15-2013, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked to see if your tranny mount is still in one piece? Only takes a few minutes to take it out to check. You can't really tell if it's all together just by looking at it. This could be your problem.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I replaced the mount probably 2 months ago. so hopefully thats not the problem. I do know that when i went to torque it to factory specs it didnt actually get to the specified torque but started to spin now that i think about it.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:20 PM

Do you remember what kind you put in there? I went through 4 rubber mounts before I finally got a polyurethane. The last time I put the rubber one in I drove down the road (not even a 1/8 mile) and it broke. I would double check it. Just to be sure.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does the shifter jump around a lot when driving? Or does it jump UP AND DOWN, or does it just move side to side a little bit. I had an 89 Camaro that the stock mount was busted and the clunking was the driveshaft hitting the underside due to driveline flex. I had to have a new mount fabricated because the old one was ruined by some idiot with a torch.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

it sounds like a broken transmission mount to me too. This is a very common problem when the torque arm is mounted to the transmission on these cars. I recommend getting an aftermarket torque arm that relocates the front mount off the transmission. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-17-2013, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Already have one. I forgot to mention that. I have had that in for 50k miles along with everything that went into a manual swap, I am in process of looking for my poly mount. Thanks to all for the suggestions. ill report back when i have the mounts swapped
Old 10-17-2013, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Austin_Ws6
Do you remember what kind you put in there? I went through 4 rubber mounts before I finally got a polyurethane. The last time I put the rubber one in I drove down the road (not even a 1/8 mile) and it broke. I would double check it. Just to be sure.
It was a stock replacement of some sort. Ordered it from rock auto.

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
Does the shifter jump around a lot when driving? Or does it jump UP AND DOWN, or does it just move side to side a little bit. I had an 89 Camaro that the stock mount was busted and the clunking was the driveshaft hitting the underside due to driveline flex. I had to have a new mount fabricated because the old one was ruined by some idiot with a torch.
I looked at that the last time i drove it and the shifter doesnt really move around at all. just side to side a little bit.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:43 AM
Teching In

Has it always done it or just recently began? I'm leaning towards the backlash set on your gears which a normal occurrence when you get in the higher gear sets, mine does the same
Old 10-18-2013, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIGCHRISS197
Has it always done it or just recently began? I'm leaning towards the backlash set on your gears which a normal occurrence when you get in the higher gear sets, mine does the same
Its been fairly recent, probably in the last year or so. When the gears were first installed i dont recall this happenening. If it is the back lash, can it be readjusted back to the called out specs?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My car does the exact same thing and I also can't track down the problem. I had a S60 installed along with UMI tunnel mount torque arm, On car adjustable panhard rod, and lower control arms. I have had it checked over and over and everything is tight as can be. I have noticed these last few weeks that it wasn't as loud as it use to be. It only does it when getting off the gas or going down a grade. I thought it may have been the driveshaft hitting my loop but not sure. If you ever find out the issue, please post your findings...
Old 10-18-2013, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by alexus6798
My car does the exact same thing and I also can't track down the problem. I had a S60 installed along with UMI tunnel mount torque arm, On car adjustable panhard rod, and lower control arms. I have had it checked over and over and everything is tight as can be. I have noticed these last few weeks that it wasn't as loud as it use to be. It only does it when getting off the gas or going down a grade. I thought it may have been the driveshaft hitting my loop but not sure. If you ever find out the issue, please post your findings...
same thing here! I have the s60 and umi torque arm also.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97camaro383
same thing here! I have the s60 and umi torque arm also.
How long have yours did it? Did it start after rear install?
Old 10-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Check your pinion angle, I also have a Umi and S60.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have had my pinion angle checked a few times. It is set at -2*..
Old 10-18-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jeeze guys, just buy an S-10 already and swap in your drivelines!! lol

Old 10-18-2013, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
Its been fairly recent, probably in the last year or so. When the gears were first installed i dont recall this happenening. If it is the back lash, can it be readjusted back to the called out specs?
You can have to gears reset a little deeper and it may clear it up, what's occurring is the pinion gear is rattling against the ring while there's no load on it.I understand the sound is a little disconcerting but if that is what's occuring then I wouldn't worry about it
Old 10-18-2013, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know what has happened...

His LEAD FOOT has worn down the lead side of the gears so that the trailing side is clunking around with no load.

Yeah man, getting the gears re-adjusted should clear it up until you wear them out again!! LOL
Old 10-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Something to mention is the gears now have a wear pattern in them, changing them could cause them to whine.......if they don't already lol

Quick Reply: Im stumped... clunking