Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Any way to get a 3 channel rear to work in a 4 channel car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any way to get a 3 channel rear to work in a 4 channel car?

Hey guys, I have a friend selling a rear out of his 99SS, its a 4:10 gear blah blah blah. He has ABS, but he doesnt have TCS. I have both. Is there any way to make his work, or is there any way to get rid of my TCS? If TCS and ASR are the same thing then I want it gone anyways
Old 05-11-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want to know the answer to this one too ! Post up experts !
Old 05-12-2004, 02:52 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, you can make it work either one of two ways. You can just swap your axles into his rear, and everything else will bolt up fine. Or, you'll need to pull off your ABS/TCS sensor rings, which are located on the end of each axle and have them pressed onto the other axles...

It would be a lot more logical to just swap axles. You'll use your existing brake hardware and backing plates, everything else will bolt up fine, and just cover the hole on the top of the 3 channel rear where the 3 channel sensor used to be..

Not hard at all, i've done it several times
Old 05-12-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Damian! what hole do you speak of? I dont have the 3 channel in my possession yet!
Old 05-16-2004, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
Thanks Damian! what hole do you speak of? I dont have the 3 channel in my possession yet!
On 3 channel rears the ABS signal comes from an exciter ring around the posi chuck. Sigal is sent throgh the rear via the hole in the center of the rear above the driveshaft yoke area. This plugs into the wire which feeds to the cars pcm
Your 4 channel rear does not have this hole since you have a wire running to the end of each axle.
Damians solution is right assuming both rears use the same axles, eg. both are factory 10 bolts or both are Moser 33 spline.
If his rear is a Moser and yours is stock - no axle swap for you.