Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Switching to 4ch ABS for 8.8 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching to 4ch ABS for 8.8 swap?

Hey guys, I'm nearing completion of my 8.8 swap and I'm basically down to ordering my axles. I understand that the reluctor wheel in the ranger 8.8 will not work with my 3ch ABS system... So I was thinking about going ahead and ordering the 4ch style axle shafts and converting my car to 4ch.. My question is, is it as simple as getting 4ch backing plates, axles, reluctor wheels and sensors? What about the computer side of it? Since my car is set up for 3 speed inputs, will I need a new module from a 4ch car, or can I reprogram mine with HPtuners? I've found a few threads on this but no definite answer. I'd like to keep the ABS operational, I think. Or is it not worth the trouble? I've just never driven one of these cars without ABS, and wasn't sure if they're bad about the brakes locking up if a fast stop is needed.
The car is an '01 z28 , M6.

-Dakotah
Old 01-27-2014, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

you can't(you won't want to) convert a 3 channel vehicle into a 4 channel vehicle. Different electronics,hydraulic(brake lines),throttle control,abs unit w/built in brake fluid pump for taking auto control.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Sounds like more of a PITA than it's worth then! Thanks or the info.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been working with another LS1Tech member making the 3-ch. ABS work with his 8.8 conversion. Together we designed a 106-tooth reluctor ring that fits the 8.8 carrier (the Ranger / Exploder ring has 108 teeth - that's why it won't work). He had one laser cut and has installed it in the housing. Last I knew he had mounted the 10-bolt sensor into the 8.8 housing with a slight modification of the port in the housing. I don't think it's on the road yet but I think he's getting close. Maybe he'll chime in and provide some more info....

Old 01-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Awesome, that might work out! How about getting the speed sensor the right distance from the reluctor ring? Seems like it could be made to work though. Only sucky thing is my diff is installed and set up perfectly, and I'd have to do it all again. Lol.
BTW hilts, your TA mount looks awesome on my housing!

Also, if I Just go the route of no ABS, will I be able to just disable It with HPtuners, and have everything work fine?
Old 01-28-2014, 06:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stomp_It
Awesome, that might work out! How about getting the speed sensor the right distance from the reluctor ring? Seems like it could be made to work though. Only sucky thing is my diff is installed and set up perfectly, and I'd have to do it all again. Lol.
BTW hilts, your TA mount looks awesome on my housing!

Also, if I Just go the route of no ABS, will I be able to just disable It with HPtuners, and have everything work fine?
We made the reluctor ring a little bigger so it would have the same gap as the 10-bolt sensor, but Colin said it was a little too big and he had a grind a couple spots inside the case so it would clear. So it's still a work in progress. Do you have the rear installed?

Glad to hear the TA Mount installed ok.

AFAIK you can't disable ABS with HPTuners or EFILive. I would just unplug (or remove) the ABS unit and do like I did - put tape over the idiot lights in the dash.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
We made the reluctor ring a little bigger so it would have the same gap as the 10-bolt sensor, but Colin said it was a little too big and he had a grind a couple spots inside the case so it would clear. So it's still a work in progress. Do you have the rear installed?

Glad to hear the TA Mount installed ok.

AFAIK you can't disable ABS with HPTuners or EFILive. I would just unplug (or remove) the ABS unit and do like I did - put tape over the idiot lights in the dash.
I gotcha, makes sense. A little clearancing wouldn't be too much trouble if we had to go that route. Weight savings, right?
The rear isn't installed, I was waiting to order my axles before I final weld the 10 bolt tubes to my 8.8 center section and throw it in.
Ill probably have to go with your solution of the ABS if I just don't fool with it for now. I would like to go back some time and get it working though, I think. How is your car without ABS? Ever had it slide on you?
Old 01-28-2014, 09:13 AM
Teching In

I'm hoping to have my 8.8 complete and in the car within the next week. The stock 10 bolt sensor mounts right up to the 8.8. All I had to do was drill the bolt hole out to about .350. The grinding on the housing was not bad at all, really didn't have to take much out. I'll keep you updated when I get it on the road and make sure it works.
Attached Thumbnails Switching to 4ch ABS for 8.8 swap?-8.8-grind-2.jpg   Switching to 4ch ABS for 8.8 swap?-8.8-grind.jpg   Switching to 4ch ABS for 8.8 swap?-abs-ring-2.jpg   Switching to 4ch ABS for 8.8 swap?-abs-ring.jpg  
Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Awesome, thanks!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jankags
I'm hoping to have my 8.8 complete and in the car within the next week. The stock 10 bolt sensor mounts right up to the 8.8. All I had to do was drill the bolt hole out to about .350. The grinding on the housing was not bad at all, really didn't have to take much out. I'll keep you updated when I get it on the road and make sure it works.
Hey Colin - Do you think it's possible to mount the sensor a little deeper into the housing? Then the tone ring could be made a little smaller and eliminate the grinding. What do you think?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Teching In

I'm sure it could be mounted lower, but it would require the housing to be machined down. Unless there is another taller sensor out there that would work. I've been looking for one , but no luck as of yet.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Finally got my 8.8 in the car and the ring works great. No ABS light at all. Brakes just like it did with the ten bolt.

Quick Reply: Switching to 4ch ABS for 8.8 swap?