Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Just put in my 9" and need help with Driveshaft length!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just put in my 9" and need help with Driveshaft length!

Well this should be my last question about my rearend change...thanks for all y'alls help!!!! I am having a new steel driveshaft made for my new 9" (to replace the stock aluminum one, since I have to have the u joint changed anyway)......I slid my stock shaft into the transmission just to check the length (even though moser said the length does have to be changed) and it appears to be too short.....from the point where the u-joint mates up with the the new yoke....if you measure the distance that it slides into the transmission, it is 1 1/2 inches....(with the cars weight on the suspension)..........not sure if that makes sense.....if the distance that slip yoke can slide forward from the installed position is measured it is one and a half inches....isn't that too much????? I figure that it needs to be 3/4 of an inche longer??? Help

Last edited by stangman50; 05-18-2004 at 12:04 AM. Reason: wrong info
Old 05-18-2004, 08:16 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was a little short also, if you look at the tires in the wheelwell see if they are further back then stock. Mine were almost an inch more towards the rear so I used some adjustable lower control arms to move it forward and that put the driveshaft back in enough. I didnt do the control arms just for the driveshaft, my 27" tall tires would rub on the rear and had like 3" of clearance in the front.

Might want to check that before you order a longer shaft and then realize the rear is too far back..

You should be able to see where your old seal was riding on the yoke, 1.5 inches of 'pull out' is a bit much but whats more important is how much of the spline is engaged and the whole front of the yoke is in the bushing.

Quick Reply: Just put in my 9" and need help with Driveshaft length!