Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

lockers in rearends annoying? whats the solution? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question lockers in rearends annoying? whats the solution? Help!

I heard that a locker is not something you want to go for in your fbody daily driver.

1) How annoying is it exactly? Whats annoying about it? Does it make a grinding like sound? Please explain.

2) If your rearend came with a locker and you dont want any annoying issues, what do you need to do? whats the fix/solution? Please explain.

3) How easy is it to do the solution? would I have to tear down the rearend and build it again or something crazy? or is it something easy to do? Please explain.

4) I have a rearend that Im about to install in an fbody that has a locker in it already. I was thinking maybe I should install it and see how comfortable I am with it and if its too annoying I could do something about it later. Would that be a smart thing to do? or would it be way better for me to get rid of the locker before the installation?
Old 05-18-2004, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

If you are asking about a Detriot Locker I can explain. An Eaton Locker - designed for trucks - I never drove.

The Detroit Locker uses a ratcheting method to dis engage/engage during orners. This is the noise everyone talks about.
On a tight 90 degree parking lot turn the rear wil ratchet to let the tires spin at different speeds. It will "clunck, cer-clunck, cer-clunk" as you make the turn.
It might ven make your car jump around a bit.
At speeds while cornering you will sometimes hear the clicking but it won't really feel different.
Also the unit requires equal tire pressure to avoid it lurching out of a straight line - sort of like a spool. I always set the car straight before a standing burnout too. Sometimes after a corner the unit needs to be engaged by a throttle jolt. You'll feel it "clunk" into lock up. Then go!!!
Once you're used to this stuff it's second nature.

Don't get me wrong - I love Detroit Lockers because they totally turn both wheels.
Clutch pach and cone type posis can easily only turn onw wheel if too much resistance is felt on an individual wheel.

I described the worst things I've felt using them.
There is nothing you can do to change these thing. You either want one or you don't.
I suggest trying it for a few weeks and making your own choice.
Everyone told me "oh God - they are aweful! So scary and loud!"
Pansies. You want a mans car - be a man with the related driving issues
Old 05-18-2004, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

Oh - and if you decide the Locker is not for you, please let me know. I would be interested for my car -
thanks
Old 05-18-2004, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

chief455, thanks a lot. I appreciate the feedback.

The owner said he has a Power Traxx carrier. Dont know what the hell that is.. Is that a locker? would you be able to tell if it has a locker if its got a Power Traxx carrier in there?

I heard lockers are also things you dont want to have driving at high speeds (a.k.a street racing ) .. would be able to explain a little bit on that?

If a power traxx is a locker, How much would you buy it for if I decide to try it and if i decide to not try it?
Old 05-18-2004, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Power Taxx is a brand of differential as Detriot Locker and Auburn, Eaton, etc.
They all are the "carrier" of a rearend assembly.
I don't know about them but what I've read. I think it's a clutch type unit.
As far as Lockers bad for street racing -the only rear diff I wouldn't want to corner with is a spool. Any of the rest would be fine - just preference.
The more both wheels are driven or engaged positively (aka posi) the more stable the corner and straight line. It just has to allow for slight slip for the inside wheel to spin faster than the outside wheel during corners.
I'll look into Power Traxx units and get back to you
Is this a factory 10 bolt 7.5" rear? ABS intact?
Old 05-18-2004, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get a spool. problem solved.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:33 AM
Staging Lane

chief455, thanks a lot for helping me out here. If you could find some info about that power traxx you would be doing me more than a favor and I would appreciate it even more than I already do. Thanks again

You lost me when you mentioned stability in straightline with a posi. Im guessing if I lose traction a posi would be more 'traction friendly' to have than lockers and spools?

Hit me back as soon as you find out about the power traxx. Still dont know where it fits in with the spools, axles, and lockers

Originally Posted by chief455
Power Taxx is a brand of differential as Detriot Locker and Auburn, Eaton, etc.
They all are the "carrier" of a rearend assembly.
I don't know about them but what I've read. I think it's a clutch type unit.
As far as Lockers bad for street racing -the only rear diff I wouldn't want to corner with is a spool. Any of the rest would be fine - just preference.
The more both wheels are driven or engaged positively (aka posi) the more stable the corner and straight line. It just has to allow for slight slip for the inside wheel to spin faster than the outside wheel during corners.
I'll look into Power Traxx units and get back to you
Is this a factory 10 bolt 7.5" rear? ABS intact?
SUX2BU, to my understanding spools should be the worst option to chose when it comes to chosing a daily driver setup. A spool would be cool since it will never break but I doubt ill break anything as I will never go higher than a 550rwhp setup. Accepting my car to "hop" around 90 degree turns (like in drive-thrus) is a no no in my case
Old 05-19-2004, 08:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002Z06yellow
chief455, thanks a lot for helping me out here. If you could find some info about that power traxx you would be doing me more than a favor and I would appreciate it even more than I already do. Thanks again

You lost me when you mentioned stability in straightline with a posi. Im guessing if I lose traction a posi would be more 'traction friendly' to have than lockers and spools?

Hit me back as soon as you find out about the power traxx. Still dont know where it fits in with the spools, axles, and lockers

SUX2BU, to my understanding spools should be the worst option to chose when it comes to chosing a daily driver setup. A spool would be cool since it will never break but I doubt ill break anything as I will never go higher than a 550rwhp setup. Accepting my car to "hop" around 90 degree turns (like in drive-thrus) is a no no in my case
You are right on the posi and right on the spool above. What's worse with spools is no matter what speed in corners both wheels are trying to spin the same speed. Only way the can differ is by 1 tire chirpping = traction loss. also try turning a 90 slow into your garage with a spool. Or taking off from a traffic light tuning a 90. The car plows exactly where the REAR wheels are aimed. NOT FOR STREET USE!
Powertraxx:
Looks like a straight forward design by Richmond Gear. It is a ratchet type but I don't see the high pressure preload springs like Detroit uses. Since it goes inside the exsisting carrier - supposedly no ring and pinion set up is required. I did not email for the download instruction video but did watch the 2 sample traction mpegs

here you go:
http://www.powertrax.com/noslip.html
Old 05-19-2004, 08:58 AM
TECH Veteran

I drive everyday with a spool w/4.10s. Its not bad at all. Only time you even know its there is making a 90* turn. And its not bad really even then. You get used to it.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:01 AM
TECH Regular

The power traxx replaces the "guts" of the stock carrier. works like a poor mans
detroit locker. down side is it's only as strong whatever carrier it's in.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

The Powertrax is designed to go in an open type carrier. It is not a "poor man's locker" as you put it. Hell, they cost just as much as the detroit. It is a full locker, just not as harsh as the detroit.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by OWENMUSTANG
The power traxx replaces the "guts" of the stock carrier. works like a poor mans
detroit locker. down side is it's only as strong whatever carrier it's in.
Good point as to strength concern. Poor? $420 in Summit right there with a Detroit Locker!

Some guys get used to spools and can live with the effects. I drove a narrowed rear with 44 spline spool and 31x16.5 rear tires for 3 summers - I know all about it.
As a daily driver I can't say it's needed or worth it.
They can be a safety concern and a good posi will be fine for most applications. After time I walked right past my spool car and jumped into my daily driver - no issues and more fun

I see 12 second cars with spools and 10 second cars wth a posi and vise versa
Everyone makes a choice....like roll bars. I said "hey - not bad" the first summer while it was still cool. Then got sick of the side bars - even swing out. Finally sold the car.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

I guess i should restate that..
i just meant the detroit locker is a complete carrier asby requiring set up
and the power traxx is something you can use in your existing carrier
it is expensive for what? 2 case halfs 2 side gears, a pin and a spring...
Old 05-19-2004, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by OWENMUSTANG
I guess i should restate that..
i just meant the detroit locker is a complete carrier asby requiring set up
and the power traxx is something you can use in your existing carrier
it is expensive for what? 2 case halfs 2 side gears, a pin and a spring...
just that to buy either type is close for cost.
If you add the ring and pinion set up labor for the Detroit cost goes up compared to just gutting and replacing an open carriier withh Powertraxx - provided that can be done with just the rear cover removed? How the heck do you gut the internals of a carrier without removing it from the housing? I'm confused about that.
anyway - no arguement here.
The man just wanted info about Powertraxx and he now has plenty
Old 05-19-2004, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

I guess some people mind the race car stuff. I for one don't mind at all having the door bars and the spool in my daily driver. It keeps other people from wanting to drive my car.
BTW my car doesnt jump or anything when turning it just makes a broken diff poping noise on REALLY slow tight turns.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
I guess some people mind the race car stuff. I for one don't mind at all having the door bars and the spool in my daily driver. It keeps other people from wanting to drive my car.
BTW my car doesnt jump or anything when turning it just makes a broken diff poping noise on REALLY slow tight turns.
Yep. I was reading oter posts you made and can tell you have a serious car - and drive it
I have been in this over 26 years and driven most every freaky thing they make - and some of my own. My 70 Firebird with 600hp/tq and a narrowed 44 spline 9" spool and 31x16.5 Sportsmans was really cool - but I could never really use it for what it's worth on the street. Run out of room
Got sick of the swing out bar and chopped it off. Finally got tired of the eeeeecccchhhh of the inside tire on slow corners and going wherever the big meats were pointed!!!
Rather than pull the spool or put a stock rear I sold it so someone else could enjoy my creation.
It sounds like these gen4 F body cars handle a spool much better than the earlier birds.
I'm no about my street car and just might try a spool again. This time with drag radials on the street and slicks at the track.
I never liked posi type rears and put 9" Detroit Lockers in my last 4 muscle cars. GTO's and Firebirds
However - this thread was a guy asking about street manners and daily driving. I have to assume he wants a street car that feels racey - not a race car that can be driven on the street