Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How much oil? Strange 12 bolt w/LPW cover.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Default How much oil? Strange 12 bolt w/LPW cover.

I'm doing the first lube change after 250 miles in my new Strange 12 bolt. The oil was full of metal fines and the brave little magnet was holding all the metal it posibly could. The instructions that came from Strange say to remove cover, wipe out inside, and add 2 qts. The instructions from LPW say to fill to OEM hole. Well I've got 2.5 qts in there now and it's not coming out of the fill hole yet. Have any of you guys talked to Strange about this problem? How much oil should be in there?

The Strange instructions also said "Use non-synthetic" oil. Do you think a synthetic blend is ok?

Thanks for your help,
John
Old 06-06-2004, 12:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

they told me over the phone to add only two quarts only and the gm posi additive. they also told me not to use the synthetic ! its not compatible with the posi unit. i think its too slick!!!
Old 06-06-2004, 12:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Great! Just the info I needed. Now I can get back on the road.
John
Old 06-06-2004, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I fill my Strange (also with LPW cover) to the OEM fill hole (i.e. on the pass. side of the axle housing) it uses right at 2qts. Are you sure you're not filling it to the fill hole on the LPW cover? Also, I've been using Redline 75W90 in mine since the break-in period was over. I talked with Redline Tech and they saw absolutely no reason I shouldn't do it (and they've been very helpful and honest with me in the past) nor were they aware of any problems using their synthetic in conjunction with the Eaton posi or any other aspect of the Strange setup.

Quick Reply: How much oil? Strange 12 bolt w/LPW cover.