Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

8.8 busted

Old 10-15-2015, 11:56 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Default 8.8 busted

Ford 8.8 diff, using the Ford Racing Torsen

It has given me many many years of good service, but it finally broke on Saturday night messing about....actually selecting 1st by accident instead of 3rd as opposed to power and just on the road, so no grip anyway

The diff had been playing up a little over the previous months but still worked fine.

Ended with quite a bang. Diff casing is cracked, main internal gears are also heavily damaged/cracked which would explain teh odd behaviour when car is jacked up and turning wheels it's been doing for a few months
And it then ripped the crownwheel flange off the diff unit itself LOL
Also the damaged the CWP as well.
Attached Thumbnails 8.8 busted-dsc01970-large-.jpg   8.8 busted-dsc01971-large-.jpg   8.8 busted-dsc01966-large-.jpg  
Old 10-16-2015, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just how much actual, rear wheel power (and torque) were you putting through this poor thing??

I ask because IF I ever went to an 8.8, that is the EXACT diff I would want to use (for handling/corner exit reasons), but I am SURE with MUCH MUCH less power than you were subjecting it to (450 to the wheels MAX, EVER!).

Ford Racing DOES call it a high bias T2R, correct?
Old 10-16-2015, 07:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you see his sig times and video ? he is making at least a couple hundred more whp than your talking about..
Old 10-17-2015, 03:54 AM
9 Second Club

As far as I am aware, mine was the regular Torsen, not the T2.

I had ordered and paid for the T2R when it first came out back around 2006, but that seller went bust and I lost the money, so ended up just buying the regular Torsen from Summit.

It's identical to my older 28 spline Torsen and it's dated 2004.

At max effort probably as much as 1200hp or so, but given the low traction venues I'm always at usually much less than that

it has served me well, but in tight corners or where one rear wheel can go light, it will spin one wheel. Perhaps not always a terrible thing, as it means a little less chance of huge sideways action because of that. So I wouldnt say it hinders performance too badly, but I've ordered the Wavetrac to try and prevent, or at least minimise that scenario as I use the car for some tighter road based racing now as well as some circuit and drag

I've had a few 2-1 accidental shifts over the past year or so, and that is what ultimately killed it.....so maybe that's what caused the rear damage first ? I dont know, or maybe it was just time for it to die.
I'll get some pics of the internal gears from the Torsen too, all the teeth on them are all cracked, so that damage has been happening for some time, it wouldnt have been isntant

The diff cage on the Torsen was a cast piece, the Wavetrac I believe is a billet piece, so that should help things a fair bit.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This gives me hope shooting for 650rwhp or so! lol
Old 10-18-2015, 07:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
As far as I am aware, mine was the regular Torsen, not the T2.

I had ordered and paid for the T2R when it first came out back around 2006, but that seller went bust and I lost the money, so ended up just buying the regular Torsen from Summit.

It's identical to my older 28 spline Torsen and it's dated 2004.

At max effort probably as much as 1200hp or so, but given the low traction venues I'm always at usually much less than that

it has served me well, but in tight corners or where one rear wheel can go light, it will spin one wheel. Perhaps not always a terrible thing, as it means a little less chance of huge sideways action because of that. So I wouldnt say it hinders performance too badly, but I've ordered the Wavetrac to try and prevent, or at least minimise that scenario as I use the car for some tighter road based racing now as well as some circuit and drag

I've had a few 2-1 accidental shifts over the past year or so, and that is what ultimately killed it.....so maybe that's what caused the rear damage first ? I dont know, or maybe it was just time for it to die.
I'll get some pics of the internal gears from the Torsen too, all the teeth on them are all cracked, so that damage has been happening for some time, it wouldnt have been isntant

The diff cage on the Torsen was a cast piece, the Wavetrac I believe is a billet piece, so that should help things a fair bit.

As far as I know, Ford Racing (IF you got it from them, even through Summit) ONLY sells the high bias, T2R diff, NOT the 'regular', low bias, T2, but I may be wrong(??).

When did AutoTech start making the Wavetracs for the 8,8s??
Old 10-18-2015, 07:24 PM
9 Second Club

Remember, I bought the diff back in 2006, pretty sure T2R was quite new back then, hence the issues I had trying to get one, although a lot was down to the vendor I originally paid going bust

No idea who Autotech are ?

Wavetrac are Wavetrac, here Moser sell them, Bob at Brutespeed can supply Moser stuff.

http://www.moserengineering.com/diff...309-186wk.html

https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...150757802.html
Old 10-20-2015, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Remember, I bought the diff back in 2006, pretty sure T2R was quite new back then, hence the issues I had trying to get one, although a lot was down to the vendor I originally paid going bust

No idea who Autotech are ?

Wavetrac are Wavetrac, here Moser sell them, Bob at Brutespeed can supply Moser stuff.

http://www.moserengineering.com/diff...309-186wk.html

https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...150757802.html

Auto Tech is the actual original designer/manufacturer of the Wavetracs.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:19 AM
9 Second Club

Certainly the Wavetrac looks like a robust piece, much nicer then the Ford Torsen ever was.
Attached Thumbnails 8.8 busted-dsc01982-medium-.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 8.8 busted