Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Busted one carrier bearing possible damaged posi. Need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Busted one carrier bearing possible damaged posi. Need opinions.

One of my carrier bearings was busted into pieces. My machanic replaced the bearing and one shim. He couldn't find any other damaged parts. However, the car makes a loud howling noise while moving without getting gas. But when I step on the gas, the noise goes away. The machanic said it could be the posi took some damage from the debris, which is the only part he didn't look because he never had experience in disassembling a posi before.

So my questions are:
Should I go ahead and buy a posi to replace the old one? And if so, what should I buy? My car is a 2000 SS A4, which I believe it has 3.23 gear ratio.

Otherwise, is there anyway I can check if the posi has really gone bad? I just don't want to shell out $300 and find out later that it's not the problem.

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:09 AM
11 Second Club

"the car makes a loud howling noise while moving without getting gas. But when I step on the gas, the noise goes away. The machanic said it could be the posi took some damage from the debris, which is the only part he didn't look because he never had experience in disassembling a posi before."

I just installed a new posi, gear and pinion, my car does the exact same thing so i wouldnt assume its the posi. Im not sure what it is maybe the backlash is off on mine but i dont know for sure.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you need to have everything re-set. IE pinion depth, backlash, wear pattern check, etc. No offense to your mechanic, but if he's never disassembled a posi, then he is not an experienced gear man. Try another shop.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Will it hurt to drive out cars making this noise. Not trying to steel his post but i think it will help him too. My pattern looked good but im not sure about the backlash being perfect or the depth....
Old 06-12-2004, 02:11 AM
On The Tree

Yeah. I have the same question too. But I have to use it since this is my only car. Anyway, the guy rechecked everything already except disassembling the posi like I said earlier and everything seems to be okay so he's quite positive that the problem is the posi. I just read some other posts regarding rear end noise. Some Torsen units seem to make noise when coasting. But my case is a little different since I didn't have this noise before. So my case may be more severe. That's why I'm thinking about getting a new posi.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

I took my rear end apart again today b/c not knowing what i am doing and the guy that helped me had never did a car w/ abs, so we didnt put an exciter ring in. Anyway my gears looked good. Not even many shavings. I would say you should be ok. I thought everything was going to fall apart but i raced about 5 times last night and still like i said everything looked good. Ill set my backlash better this time tho.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:58 AM
Staging Lane

So you didnt put the exiter ring back in? Dude, you need to take your car to a REAL gear shop and fix the problem.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

You will never learn if you dont try. If i mess something up then ill pay the bucks for a moser.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

ok.... I am done with the 10 bolt blues too. Putting 10 bolts in these cars was the stupidest thing GM has ever done.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Well, I fiinally decided to buy a replacement posi. I decided not to upgrade to HD Torsen but instead went with SLP take-off Torsen. Hopefully this will fix my rear end problem for good until I put more power and need an upgrade to 12 bolts.