Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

BOOM BITCH 8.8 broke (pics inside, kinda long story)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004 | 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

For starters the 8.8 didn't break, the fabricating failed!
These rears run with the best (I personally put 850hp with a brake thru one> with NO problems) AND with no noise.
I think Craig is right on with his explanation.......... You can only make it better after it fails. The fact here is the 8.8 is not a fault and now that the problem has surfaced Craig has made a pledge to fix it.
Craig, I'll take a one as soon as I get back to the states!
Old 06-12-2004 | 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AmMscl
For starters the 8.8 didn't break, the fabricating failed!
Exactly.... I could not have said it better myself.
Old 06-12-2004 | 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

I was really suprised when Craig told me i was the first to break the TA mount(my little 424rwhp/420rwtq cam only completly stock suspension, 1.59 best 60' daily driver) but people on other boards say they've seen this other times before.
Old 06-12-2004 | 10:42 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

If you have a problem with a Strange product, they will jump on it and get it done since you are an existing customer. Simple as that. Whenever a shop says that they have other work to get done, well I call BS. Take care of the EXISTING customer, I mean come on, that redoing the torque arm mount surely would not have taken that much time since you do it for a living. I think an apology is in order. Craig, if I put a sink in your house and it leaked tons a water do I get to take a week to fix it because I have other calls to make? You're on shaky ground there.

Oh and I have a Moser 9". I had problems with it in the beginning, and now it's fine.
Old 06-12-2004 | 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

QUOTE from SUX2BU :Well there was another rear that got dropped off the same day i dropped mine off for the same exact thing. I'm pretty sure it was the same one that he built when mine was built. And on the other boards there has been about three guys saying that this is not he first time they've seen this on the 8.8's.

were these my 8.8's or other people tyring to build them? if they were i havent heard anything about them i am pretty sure they would call me if they were broke right? and they havent so what are you saying? the fact is i had no idea the chromoly tubing would rip apart and now that i know it WILL be fixed simple as that.
craig

Last edited by trubo; 06-12-2004 at 11:08 PM. Reason: forgot to put something in
Old 06-12-2004 | 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

and pro stock did you see that my power was out because of the storms here? kinda hard to weld with no electricity isn't it? i am not making excuses just stating my side of the story is all. tahnx
craig
Old 06-12-2004 | 11:46 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

Does the author say that he left the housing there and waited for you to have electricity?

All I am saying is that you gave like three excuses. Isn't one enough? You come across as guilty. The guy waited for you to have power. Saying that you have a guy who is sick and then saying you have projects to finish is contradictory.

One of the best shops for customer service is MTI. Whenever there is a problem it becomes the #1 priority to take care of that existing customer.

The fact of the matter is that this thread is up because the guy had to fix his own stuff... These threads do not help business. You have two guys now who will chime in whenever it happens again because they don't feel like you took care of them. PM me if you want more thoughts on it. This is where good customer service can make bad feelings melt away and never come back.
Old 06-13-2004 | 02:02 AM
11 Second Club

Actually i droped the rear end off on a tuesday, i wanted to help Craig fix it since i work with metal too, but he's right there was no electricity (so i scratched the helping him fix it real quick idea). I asked him when he could work on it he said not till monday i was disapointed but said ok i'll call you monday and left.Call on monday night no answer and i leave a message. Call on tuesday no answer and i leave a message. Call on wendsday no answer and i leave a message. call wendsday night no answer so i leave a message that i will be up ther thursday morning to pick up my rear end if its done or not cause i need my car. leave my house at 10:00 AM call and no answer leave a message that i'm on my way. get there around 11:00 am. Call and leave a message that i'm outside his shop and wondering if he's coming in today.
I wait around talk to some guy and ask if he's seen Craig. the guy says "not today". i ask "what about the last couple of days?" (thinking maybe he left town on an emergency hence the non returned phone calls) he said he's "seen him around the last few days." I ask when they got electricity back he said it was out Tue-Thur and it came back Fri. i said thanks and went back to waiting.
Craig shows up at 11:45 and i get my rear end and leave.

I only state exactly what happened. I'm not mad my rear end broke. I know **** happens. I was disturbed that he never returned any of my phone calls. So idecided i couldn't wait in the dark forever i neede my car so i did what i had to.
Old 06-13-2004 | 02:05 AM
11 Second Club

BTW this was his cell phone not a shop phone or something.
Old 06-13-2004 | 03:10 AM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by m1key99WS6
Another broken 8.8" due to the crap welds! EEK Don't feel too bad my EC 8.8" welds broke too except it was where the axle tubes meet the center section due to lack of "penetration" of the welds! Only 1" of metal was holding my entire axle tube together. I too had to get it re-welded (MIG), thank god it didn't break when I was at the top end of the track, or on the interstate!

For anyone purchasing an 8.8" please save yourself the headache and get a 9" or 12 bolt from a reputable shop. There is an obious problem with the quality control/design of these rear-ends.

I would not want anyone to get hurt b/c of the lack of craftsmanship of these rears. I think this makes like the 5th person to have structural integrity problems with the 8.8".
Ouch!

FWIW, I think these are "bugs" that are being worked out, not necessarily permanent problems. While they are a big deal (housings breaking), it will take a few broken ones to realize what needs to be updated. Luckily most people are breaking things @ the line.

I'll stick with my 8.8. I'll just weld up the TQ arm mount a little better
Old 06-13-2004 | 04:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Oh and I have a Moser 9". I had problems with it in the beginning, and now it's fine.
same here and same here

i would trust Craig though, he is making an honest atempt at making his product better now
Old 06-13-2004 | 07:58 AM
9 Second Club

I think some of the posts are a little harsh. I do not know Craig but he sounds like he is trying to do the right thing with these rearends. I feel he did do the wrong thing by not calling the guy back but sounds like he had a lot going on. Craig, if you need to back job deadlines up to get things together, do it. Take some time to make some calls and most people will understand. It's the not knowing that kills folks. I hope to get your 8.8 after I toast my stocker
Old 06-13-2004 | 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Damian
Ouch!

FWIW, I think these are "bugs" that are being worked out, not necessarily permanent problems. While they are a big deal (housings breaking), it will take a few broken ones to realize what needs to be updated. Luckily most people are breaking things @ the line.

I'll stick with my 8.8. I'll just weld up the TQ arm mount a little better
Damian while your at it fixing the torque arm welds, you could do my EC 8.8" too, you could also put it on a jig to and straighten that crooked as thing too (mine and yours), mines a little off since the axle tube welds broke in 1/2 on me and yours was just a little crooked from the get go. I wouldn't mind paying a little to get it fixed correctly!

Cablebandit you should try before you buy, since your local come take a ride in my TA with the Extreme Chassis 8.8", you'll probably end up calling thunder for a 12 bolt or 9in shortly after.
Old 06-13-2004 | 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the FIRST EC built 8.8 in my Trans Am. My car runs low 7's in the 1/8th with high 1.5 60 ft's....it has ran this ever since I got the 8.8. I haven't had any problems with it. It sounds like some cars are harder on the 8.8 than others and Craig is addressing this. What more could you ask the guy to do?
Old 06-13-2004 | 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

yes john i understand that i didnt take cars of juan fast enough and thats bad for buiness he told me he had a car to drive and i told him i would fix it but i could not get to it too many other factors i will make sure to take care of a problem first if it ever happens again thats all i can do this is already done and i can not fix it. do you think MTI has never had a customer complain? or any shop never had a bad experience with a customer? things happen and all can do is make sure it wont again! customer service and a quality product is what makes a business work, i made a mistake not getting to it fast enough and i will not let it happpen again thats all i can do. thanx
craig
Old 06-13-2004 | 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Craig, this is Sean. Any update on the 10 bolt housing situation?

Quick Reply: BOOM BITCH 8.8 broke (pics inside, kinda long story)