Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What is the best rear end

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TX98Z28
I'll help you out this is what I looked at before I bought mine.

S60 = 9.75" Ring Gear, Super Strong, Heavy as ****, Completely Over Kill, 3-5% parasitic loss, Not as easy to service/rebuild, Limited gear ratios, Great budget rear end if you don't mind the weight, Think I read they can be bought to bolt right in from certain sponsors.

FAB 9"= 9 " Ring Gear, Very Strong (back braced), Can be built lighter than a 10 bolt, 3-5% parasitic loss, insanely easy to service/rebuild, Insane amount of gear ratios you can run, Literally will bolt right in with everything already on it, No headaches with brackets and ****, Really the only con is the parasitic loss. You get what you pay for with this rear end.

Regular 9 " = 9" Ring Gear, Strong, Heavy, 3-5% parasitic loss, easy to service/rebuild, Not worth it when you can buy an S60 (debatable).

12 bolt = 8.875" Ring Gear, Can be built Strong, Lighter than Regular 9" or Heavy *** S60, Less parasitic loss than the others I listed, Not as easy to service/rebuild, Are prone to whining (highly debatable), Can be had for good price, Automatic guys seem to like them a lot, manual guys seem to steer away from them a lot.

It is really really hard to beat a FAB 9" if you have the money and don't want to waste your time debating about the others… like I just did…
Very helpful!! Thanks for all the input. I'll be doing more research and reaching out to some of you soon...
Old 01-08-2016, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you need a TA as well the fab 9 comes with one. FWIW I have about 5k out the door and installed into my FAB 9 and zero regrets. The others are good too, but at the end of the day not thatttt much cheaper.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
If you need a TA as well the fab 9 comes with one. FWIW I have about 5k out the door and installed into my FAB 9 and zero regrets. The others are good too, but at the end of the day not thatttt much cheaper.
Very true, our fabricated nine inch that comes with a torque arm is priced with in a standard housing by the time you add up purchasing a new torque arm. Many have found the way our torque arm mounts is more beneficial and sold their existing torque arm.

Quick Reply: What is the best rear end